Headlight and sidelight change..... Aaaarrrgggggggg

Tiffy

Reaction score
Trying to change the headlights and sidelights but can I get them out!!!!!!......NO!!!!!

any tips or tricks would be great, got the plug off but just can get them out!!!

Is the sidelight stuck in the holder?? Or still in unit? If later just a hard yank on wires should get them out.

Side lights are still in the light itself........

Also i have the Cree sidelights....but it has an inline bulb...where do these go????

I had the same issue on mine, i just ended up pulling really fecking hard and they came out - as for the in line bulb, mine are sitting behind the headlight, didnt really know what else to do ...

Yep just tuck into the housing mate. I've had no issue with overheating etc.

If your looking to get your headlights out, take off the rubber cover and connection. Stick your fingers in and have a feel around the edge of the bulb, your should be able to feel the two bits sticking out of the spring clip, squeeze these together and they should drop down and release the bulb. Just be careful fitting the new bulbs, make sure they fit it fully into the holder, you should be able to see this by looking in at it through the headlamp lens
hope this helps.

Cheers guys....will have another go later......

Remember the days when something as trivial as changing a bulb on a car was a piece of cake?!

I remember my old Citroen AX - you just had to give that thing an evil stare and the bulbs would fall out on their own.

These days you need a degree in engineering just to change bulbs on a car!

Reactions: Jespy
I just did this morning. It's a tight fit going through the the side hole. I felt for the wires that lead to the sidelight, not the headlight, and sure enough giving them a yank got them out. I think once you've done it once it's not a problem, but trying to work it out the first time was frustrating.

I'm just glad it can be done easily enough without removing the whole front lamp unit.

Thanks for the info,

I have a B6 cab and wondering if maybe removing the HL unit is easier before replacing?

To be honest not sure how much easier removing the head lamp unit will make it. You still have to get your hand into the smallish hole. You just need to find the right angle with your hand and body. Give it at least 20 mins before you consider removing rhe whole thing. Once you work it out you'll be kicking yourself.

Same as above, did mine yesterday, you just have to really squish your hands up to get in the hole. On the drivers side i removed the air box (2 screws) then found by putting a little pressure on the rad pipe to move it slighly out the way helped quite a bit. You just tug hard on the side light wires and the bulb pops out. Once changed, turn them on, it helps finding the holes to pop them back in. Good luck!

Thanks for the additional guidance chaps. Will give this a go. Hopefully the drivers side wont be too frustrating. Ive got some LED's to play with!

well mine wont come out typical!!! can see what/how it should be done but i could pull the wires from the garage behind and that fecking sidelight bulb wont come out. any other tips??

You can use long nose pliers to grip the sidelight body, twist ever so slightly to break the seal and then pull straight out . I also find young female teenagers have long fingers which are able to extract said lights.
Don't be tempted to pull the wires, you know they will break off.

cheers soot i have already been measuring up the ladies in the house haha, will give it another try tomorrow and try the long nose pliers.

Ha I did this, ended up taking out the hole headlight and was fine,
Woudknt attempt to do it with it still on the car!
I hav little hands but still couldn't do it!

Once you have done the bumper off trick and taken out the headlights it is easy the second time.

i put a bit of grease on the sidelight bulb holder, hopefully it will make it easier to get them out next time a bulb blows

no way is mine coming out!!! looks like im stuck with ***** sidelights coz am i f**k taking the front bumper off.
changed them on most cars ive owned what a joke!!

that's surprising the sidelights, main bulbs were quite easy to change/ get out on mine.. just had to give it a good tuck and they were out..
Its the indicator inside the headlight which is the real nightmare as the only way to get to it is bumper & lights off..(all for the sake of a F*** bulb...)

yeah crazy, 3 people have tried (one with very small hands) and it will not pull thru :wtf: