Headlight problem

ALFAAA

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Ive very recently bought A 2002 Audi a4 with angel eyes , I'm not sure if xenon or not .
drivers side works perfect but the passenger side is dimmed halfway , so only the bottom half of the two angel eyes on the passenger side is lit.
i don't have much experience with cars but my guess is that this is due to a bad ground.
Just wondering if any of you guys had the same problem or have any idea on how i would go about fixing this.
Thanks.

If it's got HID's it'll more than likely be a problem with those rather than the headlights. Just look for a box behind the headlights, probably best to swap it with a decent kit.

If it's got HID's it'll more than likely be a problem with those rather than the headlights. Just look for a box behind the headlights, probably best to swap it with a decent kit.
Hi , thanks for the reply , ok ill look into that today after work , maybe i can fix it myself.
but if it was a bad earth where would i look for the earth cable on an audi ?

I don't think there's many people on here running aftermarket angel eye headlights to be honest, so you could struggle to find someone with the same issue.

Maybe you could plug the dodgy headlight into the good side just to check if it lights up properly there? At least then you'd know if it was the light or the wiring to the light. No idea if the plugs are the same on each side, but if not you've only wasted 5 minutes.

I don't think there's many people on here running aftermarket angel eye headlights to be honest, so you could struggle to find someone with the same issue.

Maybe you could plug the dodgy headlight into the good side just to check if it lights up properly there? At least then you'd know if it was the light or the wiring to the light. No idea if the plugs are the same on each side, but if not you've only wasted 5 minutes.
Thanks ill try that too

Hi

I've got angel eyes on mine. If yours are same as mine then you got 5-6 small bulbs going around. If any of them has come out you will have them looking as you described. Best to post the picture while lights are on.

Heres some pics, doesnt look like its working at all on the pictures but it is , its just faint. 1374876 10151698345806947 1772295806 n1377358 10151698345721947 816684980 n1234717 10151698345931947 147367484 n

Hi... That looks same as mine. You need to remove the light out - 4 bolts. Once out open the back of light in question then check the 6 bulbs placement. You just need to push them back in place with screwdriver.

Hi... That looks same as mine. You need to remove the light out - 4 bolts. Once out open the back of light in question then check the 6 bulbs placement. You just need to push them back in place with screwdriver.
Thanks for the reply , i tried that.
the bulbs actually were out of place , so i put them back , but its still alot less lit then the other side , i dont know what to do .
how would i check for a bad ground or so ?
Thanks.

how would i check for a bad ground or so ?
Thanks.

Find the earth wire on the light connector and add another piece of wire to earth. Usually there is only one earth at the connector, so if the other light functions (indicator etc) is working fine then try changing the bulbs for new ones. or swap with the other headlight and check again.

Hi guys i have just installed HID's and you can clearly see that one side is brighter im wondering if any1 could explain the rewiring of the ground in more detail?
thanks.

it was the same with my old bulbs. , started this thread awhile back

Did you try to power it up while you look at the back of the light? If same as mine then you should have a number of small bulbs going around the ring. One of them may be gone? Also, bulbs have someting on the top to protect the light going out. I've replaced them on mine with bulbs I've found in old cars dashboard. Not sure what type they are but when you remove them you will know what I am talking about.

Yea some of the angeleye lights were loose , ive put em back in the place , theyre all working , see its not just the angeleye rings anymore , its the hid aswell so from what i can tell the whole light unit is underpowered on one side and im trying to find a way to fix that .

I've got HID on mine too. Why don't you swap the HID power pack only on two side or even swap the HID bulbs. Have you got a pic?

it was the same with my old bulbs. , started this thread awhile back

Well then it's pretty safe bet that the bulbs aren't the problem. You need to narrow down the issue and the only way to do that (without unnecessarily spending money) is to swap things around between the working side and the faulty side.

My HIDs did exactly the same thing, I thought a bulb was faulty but before buying new ones I swapped the ballasts around. Turned out the bulbs were fine and a faulty ballast was causing the bulb to appear dimmer. Ordered a pair of slimline ballasts instead, problem solved.

Have you followed the earth (brown?) wire from the loom on the dull headlight side? Could be a poor connection.

Or try checking/replacing the light relay?

Dan