Headlight Switch

Its hard to say, The switch itsself will fit but the functions maynot work correctly as they are wired diferently. However you may be able to change the facia and chrome switch piece to your existing switch. I think they look brill

Be a result if it does, the Audi ones are about £90 I think! I need a new one as mine keeps turning my foglights on at random times :(

Cheers guys - I may just go for it

As above. Mine still works ok, but looks horrible and the red led's keep flashing on/off and it bugs me as you can see it out the corner of your eye. Would be nice if this worked as it's a lot cheaper!! I'm tempted...I suppose i could always sell it on if it doesn't work. Shouldn't lose too much.

Cost me £84 for a new switch Crazy.

There was a good condition one posted in the ebay thread a couple of days ago.

I know, i checked there and it's gone already :( That's what made me search for this thread and I noticed he'd never updated as to whether he'd bought it or not. I also saw you missed it by a few days. Where was yours from? I can't justify £84 yet when mine's purely cosmetic problems. :)

Thanks! I'm very tempted to take a punt on that vw switch. If I could confirm dimensions were the same I'd give it a go.

Just bought one so will post up next week when it arrives if it fits/works or not, from looking at pics the golf mk5 headlight switch will not fit it has a completely different connector on the back but the mk4 looks identical to mine so hopefully it will work.....

Just bought one so will post up next week when it arrives if it fits/works or not, from looking at pics the golf mk5 headlight switch will not fit it has a completely different connector on the back but the mk4 looks identical to mine so hopefully it will work.....

So you bought the one from the above link in the first post? Really interested in this!! :)

could be an early xmas present for everyone, will post up as soon as it arrives, and hopefully it'll be good news

James,

Do you still have your old switch? If so, is it in cosmetically good condition? And if so...would you fancy parting with it? I've just taken mine apart today and am wondering about the possibility of refurbing mine as functionally it's fine :)

I'll have a look tomorrow mate, I can't remember what I did with it. It was fairly worn, but your welcome to cannabolise it if you can.

Cheers dude! Would be handy to have a second to at least steal a few bits from in case my butchering skills are too heavy handed.

Drop me a pm if you find it so we can discuss it. :)

Switch arrived today and fits perfectly, everything works and does look good with the little bit of chrome, will say it doesn't feel as well made as the audi one it has replaced but for £20 + delivery can't really argue. When it stops raining i will get a pic

I will get better pics when it stops raining but here you go..
2011-12-19134112.jpg

2011-12-19134137.jpg

2011-12-19134151.jpg

2011-12-19134210.jpg

Switch arrived today and fits perfectly, everything works and does look good with the little bit of chrome, will say it doesn't feel as well made as the audi one it has replaced but for £20 + delivery can't really argue. When it stops raining i will get a pic

Top man - I looked on some other forums & they said it wouldn't work - should have taken the plunge like you did!
as for quality - is it a pattern part or genuine VW?

I would say its a pattern part but i will take it off later to make sure, it doesn't feel as good as quality as my original one but this one works great and looks good. And at 1/4 the cost of an audi one can't really complain.

Now, is it just me or does that switch look slightly rotated? Does it have to go in at that angle? It looks like when the sidelights are on the knob should be vertical? Can you rotate it anticlockwise a bit, or does it only fasten in one way?

The switch does look very good though, and I think it's a pattern part too, but a whole lot cheaper!! :)

And thanks for the pics!!

It has to go in that way cos it locks in place, i was looking at it thinking its not right, just compared it to my original and its probably because the side light symbol and dipped symbol are not square they are on a curve, if that makes sense?!!??

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. It's like it's designed in the golf to sit at an angle rotated when compared to the A4. However, it was cheap, looks decent and works :D

I wonder whether you can butcher this switch, and remove the front plate and knob and put it on an Audi one? Might be worth a try if the switch rotation is unbearable :D

Looking at my original you probably could just unclip the outer face plate with all the symbols on and clip it on to the new one but for the moment i will leave that for someone else to do as it doesn't bother me and happy to have a switch that lights up and works :salute:, that could be a job for boxing day lmfao....

You can always butcher the audi A8 Light switch - they have the same face plate & knob, but the rest of the switch is a different size.

A8-0413797_001-157__587_.jpg

Part No: 4E0 941 531

Last edited:
Can't wait till boxing day its bugging me already so just took the switch back out and it is definately a patent part, comparing the new one and the old one the out face with symbols should be interchangeable so gonna have a go now i will get some pics ..

Wahoo!!!! Let us know!! I am liking the chrome on the knob, looks loads nicer than the original.

Yep really easy to do, the face plat is held on by 4 small clips, use a flat headed screwdriver to lift the clips up and the face plate comes off, do this on the old and new one, When doing to the new chrome headlight switch remover the chrome bit first or you won't be able to get the face plate off the switch, this has 2 small clips at the front again use a flat headed screwdriver to release the clips. Then its reverse order, clip original audi face plate onto new golf switch, clip the chrome back on to the toggle switch and it should look something like this:

New chrome switch with original face plate
2011-12-19155331.jpg

In Car with Ignition Off
2011-12-19155441.jpg

In Car With Ignition and Lights On
2011-12-19155629.jpg

Swapping the faces makes it look a lot better, cheers crazy88 for the idea :thumbsup:

Reactions: N8 and Grangey.
Ooh, that does look nice!

So just to clarify you are now using which switch? The new VW switch with the Audi outer plate and the new VW inner knob?

What a great find, just ordered one hoping it should sort my issue that i have to turn my sidelights on to start the car!

Its a shame my surround isnt as mint as yours, but I think il do the swap aswell to as I dont like the angle of the other ones.

Again thanks for finding this! Saved me easily £70! so that can go on HID's!

How do I remove the switch from the car?

Ha its the new VW switch and knob with my Original Audi Face Plate, basically i just swapped the face plates over.

The original audi one has the pull lines for the fogs, the golf one didn't,

To remove the switch, press it in and you will feel it move inwards a few millimetres. Then twist it clockwise a bit and you should feel the whole switch unlock and then it will slide out.

Pabs, what do you mean by pull lines? Edit, you mean the arrows which basically say once for front twice for both front and rear? Just compared pics and assume that's what you mean. :)

Last edited:
No probs mate heard about that fault seems a strange one,

You have to push the knob in and twist to the right,the whole unit comes out and you can unplug it, might be easier if you take the side panel off the dashboard where the fuses are just to give it a push out, It should come out pretty easy

I knew that would add confusion sorry mate compare the pics

Original Golf Light and faceplate,
2011-12-19134210.jpg

Golf Light with Audi Faceplate, it has pull lines for front and rear fogs
2011-12-19155629.jpg