Headlight Switch

Yep thats the one crazy88, Grangey good luck with the new switch hope it sorts your strange fault out, the company on ebay are based in Germany, it took 10 days for mine to come which isn't bad for this time of year

I will certainly be updating this thread on whether its solves my issue (which it should) thanks again!

I have ordered it an they claim 4-6 working days- normally I would get deliveries sent to work but given the christmas break and the likely backlogs ive had it sent to my home address instead- heres hoping it turns up by the new year!

In the mean time.. i need to get tackling on replacing my numberplate bulbs... joy...

Ha! I attempted the number plate lenses on Sunday thinking "I'm sure I'll get it done in 2 mins". I gave up after 5 mins as it was freezing and I didn't have my drill on me.

Good luck with it!

Yeah i already attempted it on sunday... same as you, no chance. No figuring it when I can order some replacement covers etc before I give it a proper going over!

I'm working from home tomorrow ;) ;) think ill be popping down to Audi as there's quite a few bits I want to get to tart the car up over christmas.

ive just clicked buy it now pabs how easy to fit are they ??? how does the old one come out, does it just pull out

really easy with the lights off push the knob/button in and twist to the right, the light unit can then be pulled out, diconnect the wires and thats it, if you look at post #40 you can see that i took the face plate off my original audi unit and put that onto the golf unit with the chrome knob

Paid yesterday, dispatched today, cant fault the service really

Turned up today...

Easiest thing EVER to fit.

Agree with the previous comments in that it doesnt feel quite as well made as the Audi one- nothing wrong with it, but simply put the "click" is much harsher on the golf one than the audi one. Im sure if someone was brave enough they could probably swap around the switching part/ springs to make it more audi like but it does the job beutifully AND SOLVED MY STARTING PROBLEM! :)

The reason it looks wonky compared to the Audi OEM, is the Audi switch the sidelights and main beam pictures stay at a level horizontal angle around the bezel, this version though the logos follow the lines of the circular switch. The switch isnt wonky in the car at all, its just the difference in how the things are printed.

I would swap mine over, but as you can see its condition isnt great and I love how fresh this makes it look, the Chrome works brilliantly in there too!

switch.jpg

Thanks so much again for this suggestion!

Looks really good and does add a nice touch to that corner of the interior, i know what you mean about the simple click being a bit 'harsh' on the golf switch but i have taken min out a few times now and it is getting easier

just ordered one of these too, so thanks to original poster.

btw the reason the symbols are at a angle is because the golf switch has the side light at top centre where the audi one has light off at top center.

thanks again to orininal poster, saved me £60.

just fitted mine it looks sweet BUT just noticed that the rear fogs work with just the side lights switched on were the old one doesnt and the led changes colour for front fogs but not for the rears but other than that its sweet.....

thanks pabs for taking the chance for us all lol

Last edited:
mark I dont see why any of the points you raised were implied as "BUT"'s as if they kinda limit how good it is? I dont see how being able to switch the rear fog on with side lights engaged is an issue or makes it less as good, nor the fact that the LED changes colour when you have the front fogs engaged- something that the standard ones never did which I actually think is realllly cool? Or do you mean to imply its not so good because this isnt how the OEM Audi switch operates is all?

grangey i was told yesterday from a mot tester that by rights your ment to see a display or switch lighting up for fog light warning im just saying it doesnt bother me but if your going to get picky then the switch isnt for you as stated i think its a real bargain and looks the dogs BUT if a mot tester is going to get picky it may be a failure..... other than that it sweet mine feels really good and not so cheap feeling as others above as stated......my oem switch displays a led for the front fogs and another for the rears were this new one only changes the front fog display to yellow and the rear display doesnt alter..... it's not a moan its a warning for you not to be dissapointed if you purchase one

Just put mine in yesterday and it looks great, don't know about anyone else's but when my front fogs come on the symbol on the new switch is green which I think looks class. I'll get a pic up.

Just put mine in yesterday and it looks great, don't know about anyone else's but when my front fogs come on the symbol on the new switch is green which I think looks class. I'll get a pic up.

Didn't your old one do that then?

evening lads.
bit of high jack but did not want to start another thread.

I really like the golf head light switch and had the idea about it going in to my old man's Touareg but he has auto lights.
Did the golf have auto light option?

cheecky question, any one got a old spare switch for a test fit? I'll send it back. :)

This is a really handy thread, my switch is 'ok' with only a little scratch on it so not desperate to replace it yet, but many other A4's I've seen suffer from grubby switches.

I was looking at this image and the switch has a metal-type ring around it, is this an option on A4's, aftermarket or DIY?

interiorb.jpg

This is a really handy thread, my switch is 'ok' with only a little scratch on it so not desperate to replace it yet, but many other A4's I've seen suffer from grubby switches.

I was looking at this image and the switch has a metal-type ring around it, is this an option on A4's, aftermarket or DIY?

interiorb.jpg

Not sure - but I did see another writeup on another forum of a guy who bought an A8 switch ( as these have the chrome surround) and he swapped it over to his A4 switch..........here you go: A8 Headlight Switch Mod

I;ve called up dealer near mine and got told the price for a new switch is 11 pound

£11 for the whole switch? Audi? Sounds too cheap to be true, but I hope it is.

I can't see it to be honest. TPS trade price was £70 odd plus vat.

Last edited:
£112 with vat when I checked last year!

well, I've told him headlight switch and i said i wanted to change it because mine is worn... well Ill have it checked out but definately not paying more than 30 for it ! If thats a mistake then I will just get the vw one.

I justy bought an A8 headlight switch on Ebay for £15, so will get the metal ring as well as a much tidier switch. But just realised the switch coming will have an 'auto' setting, so wont allign perfectly with the controls, and might not light properly.. ah well!

Ok just fitted this (the A8 switch ring), very easy to do, but cracking the A8 switch to get the ring off was a necessary evil. As mentioned, the A8 part I had also had the 'auto' setting on it, so I now turn my switch to 'auto' for the sidelights and then to 'sidelights' for dipped beam! But it lights up fine and looks great with the metal ring and non-scratched face, so I'm happy with it.

Well done - get some pics up of the finished job!

AZ have a look at the first page post number 34 is that what you were after