Headlight switchback LEDs indicator/drl

you must have super sticky tyres on the car .

Reactions: S4_dan
These look good..
What brand? From where?

Any resistors required so you don't trip the bulb monitoring?

Cheers..

These look good..
What brand? From where?

Any resistors required so you don't trip the bulb monitoring?

Cheers..
Thanks mate. The bulbs are off eBay £8.50. And spent £6.50 on relays.
I already had the resistors but wired them in too so doesnt trip the bulb monitoring.

So are those an extra set of bulbs in there? Isn't it an MOT fail if your side lights turn off when you indicate?

I imagine you could get away with it if they were DRLs, but even DRLs only tend to dim when indicating. Not critisising what you've done, just concerned you may find your local MOT tester doesn't appreciate your hard work as much as we might.

Last edited:
So are those an extra set on bulbs in there? Isn't it an MOT fail if your side lights turn off when you indicate?

I imagine you could get away with it if they were DRLs, but even DRLs only tend to dim when indicating. Not critisising what you've done, just concerned you may find your local MOT tester doesn't appreciate your hard work as much as we might.
Nope, completely separate to my sidelights buddy. The switchback bulbs house both LEDs for the white DRLs, and the amber indicators.. Not entirely sure about MOT wise but its just a case of disconnecting two plugs from the relays just in case they do dislike them haha the bulbs I used are these and I just did some minor alterations with them - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231069527849

Last edited:
Ahhh, I see!! That's quite clever!
Thanks! They're wired up so they come on when I turn the engine on but go out when the indicator becomes active. I'll put some further info on here tomorrow :)

Reactions: SmoothAssault
Bulbs (x2) - £8.47 - 2X 3157 Dual Color Switchback Amber SMD LED Turn Signal Corner Light Bulbs | eBay
Resistors (x2) - £7.79 - 2X 50W LOAD RESISTOR 4 SIGNAL INDICATOR STOP LED BULB | eBay
5 pin relay (x2) - £4.34 - Automotive 12v 30A 40A 5 Pin Relay Amp | eBay
4 pin relay (x1) - £2.35 - 4 Pin 12v 30A AUTOMOTIVE RELAY For Aux Lights Horns etc Car Boat Van Motorbike | eBay
Total cost = £22.95

Wire and female spade connectors also required!

1. I started out by testing the bulbs - they have 4 metal poles coming from the base of the bulb (2 per side). Running 12v across them on one side lights up the white leds, and the other side lights up the amber. I bent the negative pole over to meet the other negative pole and soldiered a single black wire to this (so single wire feeds a negative to both sets of leds). I then soldiered a wire to the positive pole for the amber and labelled this, and the same for the white and labelled this one. You should now a bulb with 3 wires coming from it. Run 12v through the wires to ensure the bulb still lights up then wrap some electrical tape around the base of the bulb tightly to cover all of this over. Do the same for the other bulb.

2. Get the headlights out. Take the original indicator bulb out - a small gap should be on the inside past one of the electrical connectors. Thread your 3 wires through this gap and pull out so the wires are near the back of the headlight bulb. now you should be able to put the original bulb holder back on to stop the new led bulb falling out (obviously take the normal bulb out of the holder first lol).

3. Now for some wiring - please see below which wires go to which terminals.

4 pin relay -
85 - Goes to ground
87 - 2 wires going to other two relays
86 - Signal from engine on (found in a connector in engine bay a few inches from the back of the passenger side headlamp in a special holder. Pin 12, it's only small wire but this give a live when engine is running - tap into this wire)
30 - Live from battery

5 pin relay - one for left hand side indicator, one for right hand side indicator both wired in the same manor.
85 - Ground (from the headlight*) and resistor wire 1**
87a - To white positive on bulb
87 - To amber positive on bulb
86 - From Indicator positive wire (from the headlight*) and resistor wire 2**
30 - From 87 on the 4pin relay
* Two black wires inside the headlight the go to the indicator bulb holder. Cut these and check which one is positive and negative.
** The resistor wires go between the positive and negative wires that originally fed the indicator bulb in the headlight.

At the moment the engine has to be on for the front indicators/hazards to flash but i'm going to wire a diode in between pins 86 and 87.
Hopefully this all makes sense!!

Reactions: SmoothAssault
Very interested in this....if....you can keep the sidelights on and have hazards working without the engine running.
Also, have you tried activating your alarm to see if the flashers still work as no engine running then?

Dan

MOT wise... the new scania's have these, so i'd imagine it's ok!

they have bright DRL's on the outside edges of the headlight and i though you wouldn't be able to see the indicators but they dim/go off when indicating. :)

may i add, well done mate, i like it!

might be an idea to add a wee fuse between the battery and your first relay. just in case ;)

may i add, well done mate, i like it!

might be an idea to add a wee fuse between the battery and your first relay. just in case ;)

Thanks buddy! That's a good shout to be fair haha! :idea: in line fuse holder has been ordered!

Great info! Thanks a lot!

Like Dan, I'm interested to see how you get it working with the engine off, particularly for the lock/unlock indicator flash and hazard lights.

Done! The diodes turned up and I put one across number 86 and 87 of the pins on both 5 pin relays. My front indicators now work again with the engine off for the hazards and lock/unlock flash and doesn't kick back with any errors when engine is running. :yahoo:

The diodes turned up and I put one across number 86 and 87 of the pins on both 5 pin relays. My front indicators now work again with the engine off for the hazards and lock/unlock flash and doesn't kick back with any errors when engine is running. :yahoo:

Is that from 86 to 87 or the other way around?lol

Great stuff. Can you add the links above for the diodes and fuse holders then please?

Very interested in doing this mod.

Maybe a mod could make this a sticky? Not necessarily in the B6 forum per se, but......

Dan

Is that from 86 to 87 or the other way around?lol
86 going to 87 - so the current flows out of 86 and into 87 :)

Great stuff. Can you add the links above for the diodes and fuse holders then please?

Very interested in doing this mod.

Maybe a mod could make this a sticky? Not necessarily in the B6 forum per se, but......

Dan

No problem, I'll put this info on and get a couple pics at the weekend buddy!