Headlight washer jets/nozzles fallen off!!!

tanz1978

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that my headlight washers are broken as the end bit that squirts the water back at the light appear to have fallen off! So basically, when you wash the things poke out but then just shoot a dribble of water straight out onto the road!! Is this a common thing with the B8s? I've read that they come as complete units so I couldn't just get new nozzles to cap off the tube? is that the case?

Also, is there any way to make them poke out so I can check them and look more closely? Can you pull down the flap thing on the bumper or is that a bit dodgy? I have tried but it seems to take a fair bit of force and I don't want to break it! Wondered if there was a maintenance mode like with the windscreen wipers?

Get someone to grab it when you spray the screen wash from the safety of the interior of the car :)

I could be totally on the wrong track here so forgive my assumption but this happens about this time of year every year.

It happened on forums when I had a TT
It happened on forums when I had a B6 S4
It now seems to have happened with the B8

I would hazzard to suggest that you check your washer fluid solution strenght.

Being at the front of the car and hence not getting any engine heat etc it seems that the headlight washers are the most susceptible to freezing. If the tips freeze then the pumps build up pressure against the blockage and can push the tubes off or break something.

I'm not saying that's what happened here but it does sound like a familiar issue.

p.s. I mix the Audi fluid at 2:1 ration (i.e. 250mm of fluid to 500ml of water). This has always been fine for me and Audi say it's good to -40C.

Last edited:
One of mine gets stuck on the cover. I've posted a thread on it but will be watching this one too...

Took delivery of a brand new S4 around 8 weeks ago and noticed when I got to work one morning that the washer was sticking out on both sides. The washer had got stuck on the flap and as soon as I moved it away, it pulled itself in no problem.

Audi had a look at it and adjusted something, its all fine now....

definately frost damage.Had it myself.The washer is a kind of hydraulic sealed unit, and when the frost gets it the water expands and pushes the piston out.Once out you can push it back in, but the next time its operated it pops out.about 70 squid from the dealer i believe

Posted on the other one about washers

This can happen if the water in the washers freezes and expands,

Quite common this time of year if you don't have a high concentration winter screen wash

A BMW I had lost both front washer periscopes until I worked this out, a few years ago, from then even with 2 trips to the alps and our last 2 cold winters they were fine, but I saw lots of cars with this type of washer jet system with missing covers or erect jets! Last winter

Thanks for all the replies. I think it must have happened last winter under the previous owner as it's been like it since I bought the car in July - I've only recently noticed as you never see them in action! I always use full strength washer fluid. So the question is how to sort it.

I assume there's no way of getting them to poke out and stay out so I can take a closer look? And can you buy just the nozzle bits on the end or is an entire new unit required? Not happy about having to spend £140 quid on 2 new units if they're £70 each!

Did you not notice it when u got the car? I know it's hard to notice small things when excitement is taking over the mind!!

Nope! Difficult to see what's going on down there and didn't even think about it to be honest! Noticed a few months later but never got round to sorting it out. There a pain in the ar5e from what I can tell and have read on here. Was hoping it'd be a cheapish job to buy new nozzles to clip onto the ends but obviously not :(

ive just checked my etka and for my 2009 they are 46 squid each.They are one piece jobbies, and are called ' lift cylinders ' (!)