Headlight washer nozzle replacement

heeman10

Audi driver since Dec 08
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My 2009 TT's nearside headlight washer nozzle has gone AWOL, and so has failed its MOT. The missing part is the nozzle head itself, which is about the size of your little finger tip. I've ordered the replacement parts from Audi (nozzle and seal, £60 inc. VAT), and will fit them myself, as they quoted £350 for the job including parts (!). I'm presuming the "nozzle" I've bought is in fact the arm and nozzle complete.

My question is does anyone have any experience of replacing individual parts of the washer jet assembly? To replace the assembly, I understand that the bumper needs to come off. However, it's not difficult to gain access to the washer jet via the aperture in the bumper where the jet pops out. The issue is that there are no obvious break points in the jet assembly where I can swap out the new parts for the old parts (or in my case, the missing part).

If someone can tell me it's doable, I'd like to do it. Otherwise, I'll just spend a few hours on it to do the full replacement job, which I presume isn't too difficult, just time-consuming.

Last edited:
Picked up the new part today, and after examining the old and new parts, concluded that replacing the entire unit was the best course of action. There is a separation point where the final section of the washer jet pushes into the main body, held in place by two barbed tabs, but even pressing extremely firmly, they weren't depressing.

Guide:

In case anyone is reading, replacement is a very easy job indeed. Remove front bumper (today was my first time doing this, and what a piece of cake!), and you'll see that the washer jet mechanism is fastened to the bumper with two bolts. You'll need to remove the painted aperture cover (which masks the hole in your bumper) prior to removing the mechanism itself. Reaching through from the back of the bumper, push out the mechanism by hand until you can grasp it from the front of the bumper (the shaft will rotate approximately 90 degrees as you extend it). The aperture cover simply clips onto the washer jet mechanism, so release the lower tab first, and the cover will then come away from the top pair of holes.

The hose is secured to the washer jet mechanism with a clamp. Remove the clamp and hose (be prepared for a shower at this point!), remove the mounting bolts and withdraw the mechanism from the rear of the bumper. Bolt your new assembly in, slip the new hose clamp onto the hose in preparation, fit the hose to the new washer jet, and then crimp the hose clamp in position. Now is a good time to test your work, so get your bonnet shut, headlights on, ignition on, and pull the right hand stalk towards you for one second to activate your headlight washers. I was working alone, so set my phone up to take a video for me to watch back and check that both jets were functioning correctly.

All being well, extend the washer jet by hand, clip the bumper aperture cover back on, re-fit your front bumper, torque up your wheel bolts, and bask in the £300 + VAT you have just saved yourself by not taking your car to Audi for the labour alone to do this job!

I did take some pics of this, so if anyone really wants them, I can upload them.