Headlight washers

WilkyWay

Reaction score
Do anyone else headlight washers fail to return back into the bumper? Every time I use them they're still sticking out the bumper when I get home...

I had this, needed a new jet to sort it, no amount of cleaning or lubrication worked.
Bill was about £160 including fitting, tbh I wouldn't have bothered if the warranty hadn't covered it. I ended up taking the plastic cover off until it was fixed 'cause it looked as if it would blow off and no doubt would be a pain to replace.
I got fed up with the mess they make of the bonnet so I've put a switch in the earth from the motor and leave them switched off until mot time.

Do anyone else headlight washers fail to return back into the bumper? Every time I use them they're still sticking out the bumper when I get home...

Common fault and a really easy fix with a dremel, first you need to return the washer back in to the bumper and if poss keep hold of the flap and you will see 2 strips of plastic that stand proud of the flap basically get rid of them with a file or dremel. Job done

You can use VCDS to disable them completely, or shorten the 'activation time' go to your central convenience module and it's in the adaptation menu. Saves the mess on the bonnet, just please be sure to wipe your headlights so you don't blind everyone else.

Last edited:
There must be a fuse somewhere that can be pulled?

There must be a fuse somewhere that can be pulled?

thought this as well but On the a4 they are on the same fuse and relay as the screen washers. Washer bottle has 2 pumps, one for screen and one for lights, only way I could think of doing it was to put a switch into the earth for the light pump.

Use VCDS! No need to cut any wires or mess on with the fuses. Takes less than 2 minutes to do.

You are probably right but I don't have ready access to that, being xenons washers technically need to work for the Mot so I have to be able to switch them on. It wasn't difficult to fit the switch and only cost a couple of quid.

Very true, Vcds is one of the best investments I've made though, and also it will fail its MOT if it has 'unsafe' wiring. Also make sure the type of wire is correct because these run at near 24,000 volts, something I wouldn't risk.

It's only the earth to the 12v pump that's been cut, perfectly safe, wouldn't play around with the wiring to the lights

I have the same problem with my B8.5 audi say they will fix it as part of the warranty
Here's a picture of the problem
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397558252188030

Yes and I guarantee all they will do is what I said earlier get a dremel and file the little lug off on the flap so you might as well save yourself the agro and do it yourself.

I had similar happen to mine,the jets went back in fine but one of the cover caps stayed open!

Audi replaced the front bumper under warranty,which i thought was abit extreme!

i wasnt compaining though, as it got rid of all the stone chips.:cool:

Here is a pic sorry for the delay. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 394
si
how does the flap spring back

Sorry bit hard to see so I have drawn some rough circles around the spring on the flap to show you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 491
Just for info that looks like a totally different system to the older cars, not sure what the OP is driving. On the b7 the bumper cover isn't hinged, it sits flat on top of the jet so that the whole thing pops up a inch or 2. Water pressure forces the jet and cover out and a strong spring pulls the whole lot back in again, it doesn't take much to stop the unit returning freely. Don't think the dremmel trick would work on the b7s.

Yes it is different to B7. That is the same system as the pre-facelift though. I will take a picture of a the back of the bumper I have off a friends B8 and post it on here.

As already mentioned, it's a simple case of the ABS plastic not fitting very well. The fit is too tight.

Last edited:
Common fault and a really easy fix with a dremel, first you need to return the washer back in to the bumper and if poss keep hold of the flap and you will see 2 strips of plastic that stand proud of the flap basically get rid of them with a file or dremel. Job done

I have the same problem with mine- I opened the flap but can't see the strips you mention the stand proud- there is piece that the washer nozzle pushes against but it's smooth on all sides- I can't see any ridges- can you help? Thanks

I have the same problem with mine- I opened the flap but can't see the strips you mention the stand proud- there is piece that the washer nozzle pushes against but it's smooth on all sides- I can't see any ridges- can you help? Thanks
I posted some pics they are one the first page, check them out they should give enough of a picture for you, I think. :)

I posted some pics they are one the first page, check them out they should give enough of a picture for you, I think. :)

I had a look at the pictures- is the grey line where you filed?- mines completely smooth- will try to upload a picture (seems to be catching on the edge where the paint has worn away slightly)

Last edited:
Yes the grey line is where it was filed off, try get a couple of pics up & I will do my best to help.