Headlights abroad

Phil73

Reaction score
stooopid question, but can't find anywhere inc the manual, if my sline LED lights ( non matrix) adjust automatically when im abroad? I'm sure they do just need a sanity check please ideally from someone has been over the water recently.

Reactions: Ioan Furdui
I don't know about the LEDs but my bi-zenons had a function in the MMI that allowed you to dip them do you didn't blind drivers over the waters, have a look through the menus and in your handbook. :)

For the B9? I've not been able to find any options on mine.

I've asked my dealer. Waiting for a response...

That was on the B8 but I can't imagine it's a feature that they will have removed unless the LEDs don't have height adjustment as that's what the B8.5 used on the xenons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not in the manual, nor the mmi. It must be automatic, but just need it being confirmed. I might ring the dealer who supplied the car next week as they have been really helpful to date.

Reactions: Daggerit
Just wondered if anybody had managed to shed any light on this (no pun intended)...?

We are driving from UK to France, Spain and then into Italy in next few weeks and will be using our 2016 (B9) A4 Avant 3.0TDi Sport Quattro 218, sadly like phil73 we have been able to find zero information about how to adjust the xenon (not LED or Matrix) lights for driving in Europe.

The manual with the car has nothing at all about driving in Europe / headlight adjustment and we have been given conflicting advice from Audi UK (one person said they automatically adjust with the Sat Nav position - which I found rather difficult to believe) and another said its in Settings in the MMI, which it most definitely is not, you can only change the Automatic light system timings etc.

I'm staggered that a brand new car with the amount of technology in as the new A4 might have to use beam adjusters stuck onto the headlights - or face an expensive trip the the main dealers before and on our return for them to adjust.

Any help very gratefully received.

The manual with the car has nothing at all about driving in Europe / headlight adjustment and we have been given conflicting advice from Audi UK (one person said they automatically adjust with the Sat Nav position - which I found rather difficult to believe) and another said its in Settings in the MMI, which it most definitely is not, you can only change the Automatic light system timings etc.

I don't really find it all that hard to believe that it's capable of adjusting them based off the sat nav to be honest. If the car can brake for you when coming to corners and roundabouts, or turn on the cornering lights in anticipation of a corner then I don't see why it wouldn't be able to dip the beams based off the same technology.

I don't really find it all that hard to believe that it's capable of adjusting them based off the sat nav to be honest. If the car can brake for you when coming to corners and roundabouts, or turn on the cornering lights in anticipation of a corner then I don't see why it wouldn't be able to dip the beams based off the same technology.

This^^

Below is extract from my S7 handbook. No reason the A4 B9 would be any different.

Screenshot 2016 08 04 073510

Reactions: Daggerit
Many thanks for replies, if thats the case (that Sat Nav adjusts automatically) thats great - my only worry with that is there is not a single mention within an otherwise seemingly comprehensive owners manual about driving on left / right, with the amount of technology to cover you'd imagine they'd not omit to cover something which a lot of drivers would need to know.

Nothing in Lights and Vision, nothing in Headlamps, nothing in the Sat Nav etc...

I'll have another final attempt with Audi UK to see if I can get an actual, definitive answer from them regards the B9 specifically, as the 3 different people I spoke to previously all gave 3 different answers !!!

Quick update for anybody this might apply to...

After a fun 30mins onto Audi UK customer care, and with much consultation with their technical department, armed with our reg and VIN number, according to them the B9 A4 headlights need no adjustment for driving on either side of the road, they state they are not adjusted via the MMI settings or automatically via Sat Nav , which again according to them, is the reason there is no mention of anything in the manual.

If this is indeed gospel, then something in the manual stating they need no adjustment for use with either left hand / right hand drive territories would have been helpful.

Guess we'll find out for sure in 2 weeks when we go on our jollies :sunglasses: the car is still great irrespective.

Reactions: scotty76 and Daggerit
This is the same as the xenons in the a3. They are a flat beam so no need to change them when abroad. I have a feeling the a3 handbook does state this though!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes they are not 'handed', one of the reasons why foglights are not required is because of being a flat beam means less light is reflected back...

Right all, update from 3 Audi dealers today, all of which stated the same as cuke2u above, that at least on my spec (sline with non matrix LED lights)they are flat beams and as such do not direct light to a particular side.
Took a bit of toing and throwing, and getting past the initial standard "ifs not in the mmi, you will need to come in" all those that I spoke to had checked with one of the Jedi qualified techs, and in the last call, they had actually had to do check it the day before with the workshop manual when someone had gone in with the same query, and it stated no need to adjust for continental driving.
And as nickgun says will find out next Saturday evening for definite!

Reactions: NickGun and scotty76
Matrix Headlights Abroad

Couldn't see these mentioned in this thread so asked Audi and it may be useful to someone:

"Thank you for your recent email regarding your Audi A4 and the headlights (Matrix) for travelling abroad.

I have spoken with our Technical Support Team who have confirmed that your vehicle will not require adapting prior to travelling abroad.

If you have any other questions or require any further assistance, please contact me on the details below.

Kind regards

Ashley Sorrell
Customer Relations Advisor
Audi UK"

Reactions: lion2000, chrisb72, morrisonbrink and 1 other person
Matrix Headlights Abroad

Couldn't see these mentioned in this thread so asked Audi and it may be useful to someone:

"Thank you for your recent email regarding your Audi A4 and the headlights (Matrix) for travelling abroad.

I have spoken with our Technical Support Team who have confirmed that your vehicle will not require adapting prior to travelling abroad.

If you have any other questions or require any further assistance, please contact me on the details below.

Kind regards

Ashley Sorrell
Customer Relations Advisor
Audi UK"
Hi Ashley Sorrell

I have a 2016 Q7 with matrix LED light, it this the same for me, i tried to find how to adapt it to no avail

Kindest regards

Resurrecting this one, have the newer manuals been updated to reflect these changes? I'm led to believe to what I've read that the standard LED s line will change automatically via the Satnav? Would be great to have something in writing just in case I get pulled over in Germany this December.