Headlights: I cannot figure this out by just looking or searching?

lakers1234

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm trying to search on ebay to find a pair of LED (non matrix FL headlights)

I cannot seem to work out which ones are Matrix and which ones aren't

Can someone confirm if the following part numbers are matrix or non matrix please

8V0941034D
8V0941033D

If you just search Ebay, the ones that are being advertised as LED and also as Matrix LED, look exactly the same. Also some of the part numbers are exactly the same and some are different, so I am baffled. Maybe they've advertised them incorrectly, or maybe there's a small detail that I'm missing

It would be good if someone who DEFINITELY has Matrix lights in their car can take a pic of their car and also let me know what the part numbers are of their lights please

Anyway, I looked at this thread, but still with the ebay search, it's confused me

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-headlights-query.381005/

Thank you

Last edited:
Why dont you check with the dealer (parts department)? Ask them what part number you need and also give them your part numbers and check the compatibility?
Also, where you are just 1 number off I have found this shouldnt be a problem - I was in that situation with the main grille and the air cleaner complete and I had zero issues.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: lakers1234
For example, and I hope i'm not offending anyone on here if it's their advert but this seller is advertising as LED MATRIX:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-AUD...976548&hash=item3fc4e3796a:g:7wYAAOSwhIdc7irh

And the same seller is offering another headlight as MATRIX but with a different part number:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-AUD...356411&hash=item41eee49235:g:pAEAAOSwqWNbPIv3

And there's many others alike that are advertising : 8V0941034D and 8V0941033D as MATRIX lights

Are they mistaken or are there 2 different part numbers for matrix lights

What's the crack lol ? Am I missing something

Look at the vertical lines inside the big element in the headlight. However, from the parts numbers someone should be able to tell you for sure it's matrix or not. The most of the google searches seems like it's not matrix if you look at the pictures.

Matrix (3 elements):
Upload 2019 8 28 13 42 17

Non-matrix (2 elements):
$_1.JPG

Last edited:
Why dont you check with the dealer (parts department)? Ask them what part number you need and also give them your part numbers and check the compatibility?
Also, where you are just 1 number off I have found this shouldnt be a problem - I was in that situation with the main grille and the air cleaner complete and I had zero issues.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, the issue is, I'm facelifting a 64 Plate s3. Done everything else, but just the headlights left. So they wouldn't be able to tell me if they're compatible or not (which in actual fact, they aren't if you try plug and play)

The 64 plate came with the upgraded LED PFL headlights from factory, so I've been told by members on here and others that it's easier to go from LED PFL to LED FL instead of PFL LED to FL Matrix. Just want to make sure I get the right lights that's all

Look at the vertical lines inside the big element in the headlight. However, from the parts numbers someone should be able to tell you for sure it's matrix or not. The most of the google searches seems like it's not matrix if you look by the visual aspect.

Matrix:
View attachment 189516

Non-matrix:
$_1.JPG

The difference is absolutely clear from these pictures, thank you.

It would be good for others also to confirm this, as I'm still unsure as to why on a mass scale, those part numbers above are being advertised as Matrix, when in actual fact, they look like the second picture you've posted

The difference is absolutely clear from these pictures, thank you.

It would be good for others also to confirm this....

@lakers1234 - The photos and threads are consistent so not sure why you need the confirmation, but if that’s your bag then I confirm the FL matrix LEDs have the ‘3 element vertical fin’ part of the inner cluster per pic above. I know this as I have factory fit FL Matrix LEDs and these have the 3 elements.

Yes you can read anything on the internet but there are a number of forum members on here who really know their stuff. @Lehn is one of those.

Here is another thread of yours where the message is also consistent (esp post #5):
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/has-anyone-facelifted-an-s3-with-matrix-headlights.387477/

Last edited:
Reactions: Lehn
All 5 S3s here are PFL converted FL including my sepang blue, all have non matrix LEDs, the 3 from the left have RS bumper/grill as well, I'm the only one went with S3 grill... non-Matrix is 2 elements like everyone else said.

IMG 2778

@lakers1234 - The photos and threads are consistent so not sure why you need the confirmation, but if that’s your bag then I confirm the FL matrix LEDs have the ‘3 element vertical fin’ part of the inner cluster per pic above. I know this as I have factory fit FL Matrix LEDs and these have the 3 elements.

Yes you can read anything on the internet but there are a number of forum members on here who really know their stuff. @Lehn is one of those.

Here is another thread of yours where the message is also consistent (esp post #5):
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/has-anyone-facelifted-an-s3-with-matrix-headlights.387477/

Thanks. But All you had to say was , “then I confirm the FL matrix LEDs have the ‘3 element vertical fin’ part of the inner cluster per pic above. I know this as I have factory fit FL Matrix LEDs and these have the 3 elements”

There isn’t a need for all the miserable “schooling” session. I have already mentioned the other threads, but was confused after seeing people listing headlights as Matrix when in actual fact they are not

I help people out on posts without all the “schooling”, and I will continue to do so. I don’t get anything out of trying to make someone look like a dummy unlike some. Thanks for the response though, have a good day

Thanks. But All you had to say was , “then I confirm the FL matrix LEDs have the ‘3 element vertical fin’ part of the inner cluster per pic above. I know this as I have factory fit FL Matrix LEDs and these have the 3 elements”

There isn’t a need for all the miserable “schooling” session. I have already mentioned the other threads, but was confused after seeing people listing headlights as Matrix when in actual fact they are not

I help people out on posts without all the “schooling”, and I will continue to do so. I don’t get anything out of trying to make someone look like a dummy unlike some. Thanks for the response though, have a good day

P.S I know @Lehn is knowledgable hence why I thanked him and absorbed his response. He also recommended to see what others had to say about part numbers of which I appreciate. So thanks @Lehn and the other helpful people that have responded. I now know for sure that dummies have wrongly advertised on eBay as Matrix

Reactions: Lehn
All 5 S3s here are PFL converted FL including my sepang blue, all have non matrix LEDs, the 3 from the left have RS bumper/grill as well, I'm the only one went with S3 grill... non-Matrix is 2 elements like everyone else said.

View attachment 189552

Wow , is this in the UK? Could you recommend anyone to do the conversion on the lights? Would love to see pics of your sepang blue one

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
sorry to bring this up again, but could someone post a picture of how the non matrix LEDs look I've found myself in a similar predicament and unfortuantely the picture Lehn sent earlier has expired or something :/