headlights

scottya4

Reaction score
hi everyone,just joined.can anyone tell me if the dipped beam on the a4 can be adjusted?on my car its qute low and just seems to give out two blobs of light on either side,but still seems high on when reflecting off things further away.any ideas would be appreciated. thanks:busted_cop:

hi mate yes they can be adjusted pop it in to your local mot place to make sure they are done right thou cost a fiver ;-) but think you will find the standered lights are rubbish any way most on here have fitted HIDs

thanks guys,i've got up rated bulbs.it seems to be quite a challege changing them!thing is even with previous up rated bulbs in there doesn't seem to be a proper spread of beam with this design os headlight.i've looked on e bay at different headlight designs that will fit but they either look the same or un sure that the design would give better spread of light over the standard one's?or am i being picky and lights are supposed to be like that?

do you think you can get a pic up as although the standered lamps are not brite they do have a good spread

i'll have a go tonight when the missus gets back from work

hope these help to see what i mean about the dipped beam
imag0011nf.jpg

imag0010dl.jpg

thats about the right britenes mate but looks like your off side/drivers one is way out

do you not think the nearside headlight is too low?

dose look a bit mate id have your local mot place do it taks 2mins

Often the electric mechanism adjust comes away in the headlights causing them to drop. It looks like that has happened and the headlight dropped to the bottom of it's travel. I'd get that looked at before you start fiddling with the alignment.

Often the electric mechanism adjust comes away in the headlights causing them to drop. It looks like that has happened and the headlight dropped to the bottom of it's travel. I'd get that looked at before you start fiddling with the alignment.

Would you be able to tell by twiddling your knob and seeing if your headlight beams move up and down ? Just windering....

My lights were like scottya4's when I first bought my A4 and it was the problem James has described. Its an easy fix, took me about 1 in total to get the lights out, clip back in the adjustment motors and then put the lights back in.

Fixing this will make a difference but the lights on the B6's are pretty poor anyway.

thanks guys,did notice when trying to take one of the bulbs out the whole inner part of the headlight swung backwards,as though it was hindged from the top.i thought it was strange that it would do that?like way318 says they are a bad design for a dipped beam. do all a4 have an electrical mechanism for the headlights?

They're all electric adjust, models with Xenon have self levelling adjustment.

Last edited: