Heater Switch Panel Removal..

littlemosslad

Littlemoss Lad
Reaction score
Hiya guys, just a quickie, does anyone know how to remove the heater panel (where the 2 temperature dials and fan switches are) on the dashboard? It's the one just below the radio. I've had a feel around it but can't see any obvious way in..

Thanks in advance, Dave
:rock:

It is just clipped in :)

Give it a good tug.

Hiya guys, just a quickie, does anyone know how to remove the heater panel (where the 2 temperature dials and fan switches are) on the dashboard? It's the one just below the radio. I've had a feel around it but can't see any obvious way in..

Thanks in advance, Dave
:rock:

lol

good old fashioned pull my friend

Remove radio & push from rear, note the trim fixed to bottom of the climate, also the arms to sides of the gear area, look underneath them for holes to remove via torx headed bolts & bolts hidden under the gear surround for the cubby hole trim/ashtray & the arms, I wouldnt try & pull from front, the sprung loaded metal clips are usually in there fairly well so from rear as such, the climate that is :p

Cheers everyone! Sorted it. It was I could get rid of an old phone holder which is now all done. cheers!

Second question though all you brainy Audi fiends, how would i remove the radio? I know that sounds lame but even after getting the heater panel off I couldn't see an obvious way to get it out. The reason for this is my missus managed to squeeze in a second cd and now both won't come out. I've tried guiding one out with a thin filler knife whilst ejecting it but to no avail. So i'm thinking whizz out the radio and try to remove the top of it.

It's obviously more slick than the old fashioned digi-clips or even the pioneer-type removal tools but i just can't make it out! d'oh! Please come to my rescue oh mega-experienced ones!

:eek:) Dave

PS, my tugging went very well thank you!

You need radio keys & get them from ebay or audi sell them as a pair but tad rich, so get of ebay for few quid.

You should see very thin horizontal holes on the top & bottom lip of the radio front facing that you put keys into, then when all 2-4 keys are in dependent on radio type of course you can pull it out, then to remove keys to put back, behind key insert area you push in the metal clip retainer & you can release them to come out, do this carefully cause a slight flick of the key can scratch your radio fascia & you're be ****** about that & will want a new radio, seen number people do this, lol

If you want them quick and dont want to wait for postage off ebay, they sell the keys at halfrauds for a fiver (pack of 2)

'Halfrauds', cool..

I ordered some off ebay last night so i'll have a crack at it when they come and let you all know in case anyone gives a toss!:blackrs4:

Hiya, well i got the keys, whipped out the radio and couldn't see an obvious way of opening the top lid of the unit.. I'll suss it when i have more time.. But, it appears I have a multi-cd changer cable going into the back of it but i'm 99% sure i don't have a unit. Pressing CD on the head unit doesn't say anything so i guess it might be for the amplified aerial.

Anywhooo.. :eek:)

Thanks to everyone for your help.

cheers, Dave

:anbet:

Well, it's all sorted. The top of the radio just pops off with a small flat bladed screw driver. No screws required. The CD mechanism is easy to remove to. The two small torx screws on each side nearest the back and one on each side, inside near the front running vertically down the unit.

55836.jpg

dc898.jpg

And what the hell is this plug for? Is it the in car network thingy?

30c1c.jpg

And last but not least: These two black plastic things hold the cd inside so the need pushing down to allow a cd to be pushed out. I used a very thin filler knife to lift out of the cd's centre hole the mechanism's central spindle and then with my third hand (as it felt like thats what was needed) i pushed out the cd. Simples!

48644.jpg

Sorry for the crappy images, my G1 mobile's camera kinda sucks.

The radio won't need recoding if it goes back into the same car and of course you need the special audi radio keys. I got mine off ebay and they're very good. Apparently the Halfrauds ones suck a bit as they bend very easily. Go for the metal ones if you can.

:thrashi:

Dave

My heater unit is starting to show a bit of age with scuffs and worn buttons - can you just replace it with a new unit plug and play or do you have to use vagcom to program it in?

You can take them to bits and use your old internals :)

I had to do this on mine as the new ones electrics didn't seem to work fully with my car...

Yeah they are plugnplay but note LHD then has the single control of both sides on the left, you know when you adjust drivers temp etc it also does passenger, facelift seems to be coded as only has one type in etka now, so result, but try finding ****** facelift version, like gold dust