Hello - New S3 and some questions

Avalyn

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just picked up a new Ibis White S3 Sportback last week. Didn't get to spec it as it was in the showroom but it had mostly what I was after anyway.

Spec: Ibis White, Bose, Ipod Connection, Heated/Folding Mirrors, Flat Tyre warning,A3 Protection Pack .. buckets would have been nice and I was really not fussed about Nav as I have a TomTom that does the job much better for MUCH cheaper.

I come from a long line of Scoobys (2 Impreza's, 1 Forester STi :rockwoot:) and my last car was a remapped 330CD (E46). Had looked at a 335D/New STi etc but fell in love with the white S3 as soon as I saw it.

First impressions are really good, it's very quick, Bose is excellent :laugh:, think the interior plastics aren't quite as good as that in the BMW (but miles ahead of the Scoobs) but all in all I'm really chuffed.

Things I miss about the BMW ... rear parking sensors and cruise control.

Anybody now anything about these ...http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/ and has anybody fitted retrofitted cruise (quite happy to get Audi dealer to do it if it's not THAT expensive).

Cheers,
Avalyn.

Mate, NEVER and I mean NEVER say that BMW interiors are better than Audi on here, not if you value the life of your first born. ;)

Welcome to the S3!!! Good choice you have there. I got cruise retro fitted for around £190 IIRC (I have receipt at home) at Audi main dealer, I just had to ring around and do some comparisons. I think for the facelift it has similar functionality to the E90 series in that it will do increments/reductions in speed in both 1 mph and 5 mph; where the pre-facelift does not. Neither system has the braking function of the BMW system either.

Were the Scoobies running standard? How do you feel performance compares? And when are you mapping it? :arco:

:sign_pics:

Last edited:
why dont you just get audi to fit both reverse sensors and cruise ...i have rear parking sensors on mine and i like em , tbh honest the thing about the tomtom sat nav and the reverse thingi link you put up...., your dash is gona end up looking like the millenium falcon or a police car and look abit cheap ....

when the sat nav is in and you put it in reverse and you hear the beep its so much better id retro fit the rnse , someone on here retro fitted audis reverse sensors ok , but if your like me id just get audi to do it and the cruise but do the rnse yourself it looks a million times better i dont see the point of making cheap shortcuts in a 26 grand plus car just add the little touches and get the finished article you thank yourself massively in the end........ i know which id rather have also when you come to sell it a better spec will get rid quicker .....

2009-audi-s3-sportback-3-588x441.jpg

Mate, NEVER and I mean NEVER say that BMW interiors are better than Audi on here, not if you value the life of your first born. ;)

Welcome to the S3!!! Good choice you have there. I got cruise retro fitted for around £190 IIRC (I have receipt at home) at Audi main dealer, I just had to ring around and do some comparisons. I think for the facelift it has similar functionality to the E90 series in that it will do increments/reductions in speed in both 1 mph and 5 mph; where the pre-facelift does not. Neither system has the braking function of the BMW system either.

Were the Scoobies running standard? How do you feel performance compares? And when are you mapping it? :arco:

:sign_pics:

I have cruise control on my current 2009 face-lift Sportback. I also had it on my previous pre-facelift 2007 Sportback. Both have the increase/decrease by 1-2mph by moving the cruise lever up or down. In fact I think the only difference between the cruise on each car is the my new one shows the cruise speed that I have set in the DIS.

Also as far a braking is concerned - if I am driving at say 70mph and already have my cruise set at 50mph but not engaged and then I engage the cruise as I enter a 50mph limit the car will brake and slow down to 50mph. Is that what you mean by the 'braking function' that the BMW system has?

Dave,

RE: the increments on facelift. I was actually (maybe mis-) quoting you; I thought you said on another thread that you can now increase/decrease the speed by 5 mph by holding the stalk through the first level of resistance? I know that pre/post lift do it in steps of 1 mph. Have I got that wrong?

RE: the BMW system. On the 6 Cyls the cruise will actually apply the brakes, as apposed to backing off the throttle. So it will stay at the requested speed irrespective of decline, whereas the Audi system does its best, but if the decline is too severe for engine braking alone, it will ride over.

Dave,

RE: the BMW system. On the 6 Cyls the cruise will actually apply the brakes, as apposed to backing off the throttle. So it will stay at the requested speed irrespective of decline, whereas the Audi system does its best, but if the decline is too severe for engine braking alone, it will ride over.

doesnt audi's adaptive cruise do this also im sure it applys the brakes to stay a certain distance from the car in front

Last edited:
doesny audi's adaptive cruise do this also im sure it applys the brakes to stay a certain distance from the car in front

I'm not talking about adaptive mate, just bog standard.

Edit: but I'm sure it will do though.

Last edited:
oh yeah i know mate im just saying audi'a adaptive does apply the brakes also , this is what cruise should be about and should be like as standard.... not like ours which i think its pretty wack unless the roads are clear to much ******* about with it

oh yeah i know mate im just saying audi'a adaptive does apply the brakes also , this is what cruise should be about and should be like as standard.... not like ours which i think its pretty wack unless the roads are clear to much ******* about with it

lol, snap. See my edit. :thumbsup:

why dont you try http://www.vwcruise.com/ aka hazzy days?

thats if audi is charging to much! - spoke to him before sounds like a very genuine guy who knows what hes doing, and im sure many have had work done from him in the past on this forum.

if its the same price as the A3 then the prices would be

Cruise control £199 + £30 (extra trim pieces req) = £229 all in

and parking sensors £330 all in includes colour coated sensors.

shop around before you make the purchase!

good luck mate, congrats on the new car!

Hi Avalyn.

First of all like to say :sign_welcome: to the forum. Soundsl ike you pickedu p a nice car. To have cruise control and rear parking sensors fiited wont cost much. Few people have fitted parking sensors them selves and done a good job. Also there a company on ebay few people have used who actually will come to your house and fit it. I will see if i can find there name. Also get some photos up when you can :)

Thanks

Ashley

EDIT: tdisportuk knows who http://www.vwcruise.com/ aka hazzy days

AuldReekie mate. You do make me laugh! :happy::laugh:

Last edited:
:sign_welcome: to the forum.
any :sign_pics:

@ Ashley. Just a little hearted jest amongst buddies :friends:, gets the blood flowing.

Thats the company i was on about. I may see if they can install a steering wheel for me :)

why what steering wheel you go t ash ?? im after a flat bottom then im gona sell my mfsw ....

LOL yeah i sat there thinking what his website was called again! ended up looking at my web history :$ havnt had any work done from him myself personally but i will be calling him to fit cruise control me for once im back in the country!

Jeeso folks .. thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

I did feel the my E46 330CD has better quality plastics around the dash (softer etc) but the Audi does feel very solid and well built (I hate rattles:motz:)

I'll phone my dealer to see how much retrofitting cruise will be.

And no none of my scoobies were standard .. first one was an MY00 wagon with full decat+dawes running about 240/240, second one was an MY05 wagon with PPP and the third one was an imported Forester STi with Milltek exhaust system and powerstation remap running about 340/340:rock: )

I would say the S3 is comparible to the MY05 (say it gets going a bit earlier though). The Forester was a monster !

Getting on a bit now so wanted something quick, more subtle and better to sit in traffic jams in town in :whistle2:

No pics yet, will stick them up when I get some and thanks for all your help.

Avalyn.

i was gona get a forester what are they like to drive etc was it the old shape or new...

Alright very nice car you have there it was actually sitting beside mine in the showroom (i bought the 3dr S blue S3 they had) i was sorely temted by it as i like the ibis white but it just had too many doors for my liking. As for the retrofitting the cruise try www.STARperformance.co.uk i can highly recommend them as ive known Jim for years and all his guys know what they are doing. Im pretty sure they will be cheaper than Aberdeen Audi. Just be warned that they do the Giac remaps and Jim is pretty convincing

@ Ashley. Just a little hearted jest amongst buddies :friends:, gets the blood flowing.

:beerchug:

why what steering wheel you go t ash ?? im after a flat bottom then im gona sell my mfsw ....

Well any out of the two if im honest mate. How much you looking on selling the MFSW for? Because i'd be interested im trying to do as much as i can before the engine conversion. As i'll be broke! Drop me a pm when your ready to sell or know a price:thumbsup: defo interested. Will it include airbag and slip ring?

LOL yeah i sat there thinking what his website was called again! ended up looking at my web history :$ havnt had any work done from him myself personally but i will be calling him to fit cruise control me for once im back in the country!

Lol that what i was like i knew hazzy some thing and then i couldnt find it on ebay! lol...I've not used them but i can remember two threads regarding the company this year and how good they are:)

not sure about slip ring i may need it but airbag yeah the whole wheel i gota source a flat bottom first il give you first shout though mate:icon_thumright:

not sure about slip ring i may need it but airbag yeah the whole wheel i gota source a flat bottom first il give you first shout though mate:icon_thumright:

Yeah thats fine blazin as i can get a slip ring some where else. When you sourced the flat bottom one let me know. One last question will i need module? :thumbsup:

A3simon .. cool. Aberdeen Audi have a few nice S3's in .. I originally hadn't thought about a sportback but it's easier for the wee one to get in/out and I prefer the rear end to the 3 door. I have already looked at Star for GIAC, I had my first Scooby in there for a bumpsteer mod years ago.

10blazin, it was a 2006 Forester I had (not the new shape), basically an Impreza STi with a different body, 2.5 turbo, 18's, brembo brakes etc.

Brilliant to drive, very little body roll for a 4x4, instant ooomph from 2.5, stopped will with the brembo's etc highly recommended. Sold it as I walk to work most days and it seemed a waste to have it costing me lots for insurance/tax etc sitting up the driveway ... and it rattled :(

Avalyn.

@ ashley i think so i have one on mine im sure , but il need it for flat bottom i think for me it should be a straight swap

Alright very nice car you have there it was actually sitting beside mine in the showroom (i bought the 3dr S blue S3 they had) i was sorely temted by it as i like the ibis white but it just had too many doors for my liking. As for the retrofitting the cruise try www.STARperformance.co.uk i can highly recommend them as ive known Jim for years and all his guys know what they are doing. Im pretty sure they will be cheaper than Aberdeen Audi. Just be warned that they do the Giac remaps and Jim is pretty convincing

Convincing yes, you parts with your money but you want to go for more omph after, then no. Better of going REVO.