(HELP/ADVICE) - Stone chips and scratches

LukeA3TDi

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum so be nice. Recently I picked up a 2011 A3 2.0TDi for an absolute bargain with only 30K on the clock. The car is in pretty mint condition but I have noticed a few areas that require work.

Somehow there seems to be quite a few stone chips on the rear passenger arch. I have no idea how someone has managed that..
IMG 20160422 124518 copy

(closer picture, excuse the dirt)
IMG 20160422 124523 copy

As well as this there seems to be a section of the bonnet that has a few scratches. They appear to have gone a yellowish colour. Hard to distinguish on the picture.
IMG 20160422 WA0005 copy

I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to remove these. The scratches aren't that deep but as you can see the stone chips go down to the metal (possible respray required).

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

The bumper looks unusual. Has it been painted before?

The bumper looks unusual. Has it been painted before?

Not to my knowledge, but possibly. I cannot find any other evidence of a poor paint job. But it is really unusual

I have taken my car to a professional (luckily a friend of my dads). It does look like that section of the bumper has been resprayed, very badly, for one reason or another.

He also had a guess that the other yellowish scratches have been caused by someone angle grinding near the car. Apparently the dust/sparks from this can cause these sorts of marks. Luckily a good clay should get this out. He is also providing me some "expensive" solution to help lubricate the clay.

Hopefully this thread proves helpful to someone.

Don't worry about expensive lube for your clay bar. A high concentration of shampoo in water will do the same job and be a danm sight cheaper.

That's the way I would of gone if I was paying.. But he's giving it me free of charge

I'd do the full car when you're at it. Won't do you any harm. Get a good coating for afterwards. Look at CquartzUK. Cheap and highly rated.

Reactions: LukeA3TDi