HELP. AGAIN!

A5GUR

Reaction score
HI guys, some time ago, i posted a thread about my S3 getting nicked, and later being recovered.

After loads of debating, the insurer has said they will give me a payment in lieu, which basically mean they will give me cash instead of repairing the vehicle.

The only thing that needs repair/ replacing on the car is the key. Obviously the thief still has the original key. What options are available to me and at what cost?

Can i perhaps get a new key made and have the pair re-programmed so the stolen key doesnt open/ start the car? I know it will still be accesible via they key lock.

thx in advance

So you're getting the car back and repairing it yourself through them giving you money? Why?

I'd assume a new set of keys and reprogramming the locks would be all it needs, a friend had his changed after a theft and I think it cost around £2,000 if I remember correctly.

Im confused - are they paying you for the car and your buying it back.

OR

Are they paying you to fix the car and they'll pay you once it's repaired.

We had the same scenario on a friends Subaru where it got nicked with one key but he had the spares but to change the locks and stuff would hve cost a bomb.

He fitted an aftermarket alarm with immobiliser so if the theif has the key, he still cant start it... and if the car is opened using any other method that the clifford one, teh alarm goes off.

It were around £300ish...

But new locks will cost a bomb...

Some insurances also have key care - so if you were to "loose" the key that you have - they may put new locks and stuff in

Basically, they are giving me the car back. And are giving me the money to repair it myslef. Most of the damage is cosmetic, except for the key. So ideally i could do with a new lock set (new or used) to repair the car.

Just take it Audi - Ask them to make an invoice for the damage and a set of 2 keys reprogrammed and send the bill to the insurance company...

Thats what i would do if i werent paying....

New locks, ignition barrel, keys from germany & the ecu/dash needs reprogramming with new keys, I'd also invest in an immobiliser through the diag port so keys stolen wont start without that being enabled & maybe upgrade the house security, car stuff shouldnt be anywhere near 2k though, new keys have dropped in price fair bit tbh, was quoted about £50ish for the newer style keys by my parts guys.

New locks, ignition barrel, keys from germany & the ecu/dash needs reprogramming with new keys, I'd also invest in an immobiliser through the diag port so keys stolen wont start without that being enabled & maybe upgrade the house security, car stuff shouldnt be anywhere near 2k though, new keys have dropped in price fair bit tbh, was quoted about £50ish for the newer style keys by my parts guys.

Can't remember the exact figure I just know it was done by insurers using Audi for an RS4, it wasn't cheap though.

Don't get too carried away gents, it's not that complicated.

VAG-COM or VAS can delete the Immo pairing of the previous keys from the car, once this is done you then pair/match the new key set. Blades can be bought from eBay or the other usual sources. eBay used to have a guy that would cut you one from a digital image.

This will prevent the car being remote unlocked and started, it will not prevent key unlocking so you can either take the chance or look out for a new drivers door lock, airbag off switch and ignition barrell.