HELP ! AUDI TT FIRST GENERATION : differences between ARY and AJQ engines

denischamp

Reaction score
First of all hello to everybody, I'm Denis and I'm a new user of this Audi-sport's forum. I'm Italian, Bologna
I'm looking for some help from someone really experienced in Audi TT engines

I'm owner of a beloved Audi TT 1.8 first generation. I need to replace my 199.000 KM engine AJQ for a serious fault... they 're saying that it would be too much expensive to repair the original engine with so many kilometres than replacing it with another one.

A friend of mine has found this ARY engine with 100.000 Km removed from an other crashed TT first generation

Do you know what are the differences between the two engines ? I asked and they answered that it's the same engine and that no problems would arise installing the ARY engine in my car. Do you know of some sort of problem installing an ARY engine in TT in the place of AJQ engine???

The price of this ARY is very good but I need to be sure that it's a good purchase without problems during the installation.

Thanks in advance to whom who can help me

Denis

ARY: 19mm piston pin diameter, VVT, K03s, DBW, wideband lambda
AJQ: 20mm piston pin diameter, non-VVT, K03, DBW, narrow-band lambda

Basically you can replace the bare engine, just swap over all sensors from the old to the new engine. But if you can get the full wiring and ECU(and have the immo defeated or paired to the car), then get the full ARY package, the wideband lambda and VVT are desirable for future tuning.

Thanks thanks thanks ...
Forgive me my total ignorance : what do you mean with these acronyms : VVT, K03, ECU and DBW ...?

And most of all You're telling me that ARY engines can replace my AJQ original engine without any sort of problems and all digital and electrical connectors are the same ... I'm asking this because my mechanic is afraid that the electric part could be different. If I have understood in the right way I should try to find the full wiring to get the best from this choice.

Thanks again

VVT= variable valve timing
K03= Borgwarner K03 turbo, K03S= K03 sport turbo(sligthly larger compressor wheel, a little more power)
DBW= drive-by-wire(eletronic throttle body and pedal)
ECU= engine control unit

The ARY can replace the broken AJQ engine, but there is no wiring for the VVT solenoid(no problem, just leave it unconnected if you're using the AJQ ECU). All other sensors are the same, except for the lambda sensor, there you need to use the original AJQ lambda sensor if you are also using the AJQ ecu, if you replace the wiring loom and ECU for the ARY, then you also need to use the wideband lambda sensor of the ARY.

Thanks so much ! My mechanic is confused by leaving unconnected the VVT... He continues to claim that it'll be a big problem but I forwarded all your precious info.
ThankYou !!!