Help, broken down...

S£

Reaction score
I was driving home from work tonight and all of a sudden loss of power and it starts misfiring and the engine management light came on flashes for about 10 secs then goes out for a bit then flashes again, i limped it home for about 4 miles then investigated, it's defiantly misfiring not just slightly on and off and it's all trough the revs...well as far as i dared take it, nothing else unusual temp gage good, no smoke or anything,

Help would be appreciated, please tell me this sounds like the coil pack, i could do with a cheap repair!

the mrs. had the exact same problem broke down on motorway, i suspected coil pack, it was infact the maf

Thanks for the reply, i have my fingers crossed it's one or the other! i shall be checking the coil packs tomorrow! Really want to get out there now but the weather is ****!

What year is it? If its a 97/98/99/00 it could be the ignition control module, as its a seperate unit attached to the airbox housing. On the newer cars they changed to having smaller individual modules on each coil pack.

Also, as above the MAF could be just as likely as the coilpacks with those symptoms on the A3/S3 engines.

Hi there,

if you have an AGU engine the engine light would not come on if it it as Dave said the ignition control unit or ingnition amplifier (about £120 from Audi). I would swap round the coilpacks first as the engine light indicates that or Maf, both are easy to diagnose. Failing that the VAGCOM will indicate a missfire on one cylinder, which will be the faulty ingnition amplifier failing to ignite a coilpack.

Good luck..

Clach

I have an AGU and had the faulty control module AND I had the engine light come on twice just before it finally gave up and stopped firing cylinder 3.

Sorry it's a 2001 S3, I'll try pulling out the coil packs one by one tomorrow and hopefully that will be it. i do have the vag-com but only a cheap one of ebay i've used it a couple of time but can't seem to get it to work, it's installed to the right com port and passes the check but always comes up can't connect to control module, and the auto scan never throws up any faults.

Sorry, Dave I mean't to say the Engine light would not 'neccesarily' come on. I certainly never for mine, which caused all sorts of confusion for the Audi mechanics..lol

Done the coil pack test an it looks like one was faulty, but come across a plug unplugged, check my thread on plug unplugged for some help please!!

Thanks all!!

I've just done the coil pack and everything runs fine, but now i have the engine management light on?? does this need resetting because the car seems to be ticking over well