HELP!!! Broken front suspension + steering?

liamm

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1997 A3 1.8 T. A couple of months ago I hit a curb with the N/S/F wheel resulting in the steering wheel sitting upside down and the wheel sitting out from the wing about an inch. On inspection the only obvious damage was a bent steering rod. Since then I have changed both bottom arms, subframe, steering rack, both steering rods, both track rod ends, N/S/F wheel bearing and the N/S/F strut, to no avail whatsoever.

Can anyone help plz?!?

did you have an alignment done?

or maybe bent chassis?

Try getting it re-jigged, doesnt cost that much, a mate did the same, just one track rod end bent and had it rejigged, back to normal.

did you have an alignment done?

or maybe bent chassis?

No this is my next idea but can't see the chassis being bent being the problem as there was no obvious damage to the bottom arms or subframe.

Try getting it re-jigged, doesnt cost that much, a mate did the same, just one track rod end bent and had it rejigged, back to normal.

Think this is my best bet, how much does it cost?

Depends on each body shop, what they charge, how bad the damage is, how long it will take.. Cost my m8 about £100-£150 if i remember right but my m8 owns the body shop and has 3 jiggs, he did that at a cash price.

Go find out at your local body shops, ask people on the forum if they know people around your area with body shops etc. Or go out and make ur own connections with a good company.

it might cost a good £400+ they have to take the engine out to jig it so its a nice bit of work

Take the engine out?!!? Its held in by rubber mounts, if anything they can just unbolt it and get it on a crane so it has abit of play, and he's changed the subframe.. but its not written off bent out of shape... the wheel is slightly bent.

My m8 never had to take the engine out of his, and it took about an hour or so to do... engine -chassis bent....??? worse case they'll take the intermediate drive shaft out the gear box, but he'd know if that was ******...

Educate me bro... why would they need to take the engine out??

On a side point, id get the rim and tyre off and check for hairline cracks around the stud holes, around the part where it hit etc.. this caused my m8s wheel to fall off after he had a bump with a curb..on a motor way slip road at 60mph, luckily it was the back wheel but not pretty when your going that speed and the wheel shatters.. cheap replicas, but still!

Hi, I have a 1997 A3 1.8 T. A couple of months ago I hit a curb with the N/S/F wheel resulting in the steering wheel sitting upside down and the wheel sitting out from the wing about an inch. On inspection the only obvious damage was a bent steering rod. Since then I have changed both bottom arms, subframe, steering rack, both steering rods, both track rod ends, N/S/F wheel bearing and the N/S/F strut, to no avail whatsoever.

Can anyone help plz?!?

You have changed all these parts to no avail in what? The wheel still sticks out? or the steering wheel upside down, or am i tireder than i thought and you have mentioned it somewhere?:blush::blush: