Help buying my first A6

the_mup

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in Ireland and I've just been to test drive a UK-Imported 2015 A6 Avant S-Line 190PS 2.0TDI Ultra Automatic. The dealer told me the car has a Multitronic gearbox. Now I'm not familiar with Audi's and I'm struggling to figure out if it really has a Multitronic CVT or if it's really an S-Tronic DSG and the dealer was mistaken. Google wasn't helping, so I thought I would ask here instead.

Before test driving the car the sales person told me it was a Multitronic. Then during the test drive I felt that the car was a bit hesitant, being used to manuals, and only having ever driven a DSG once, I put this down to the car being a Multitronic CVT. After the test drive I really liked the car, but I said I would try to find an S-Tronic DSG instead as I assumed that would be even better.

So I've done a bit of research, and I read in a few places that the 190PS Ultra was only ever sold as an S-Tronic. And that DSG's can feel a little bit hesitant at low speeds, which is where i felt the hesitation. I rang the sales person, and he said he'd double check with a mechanic in their workshop. He calls me back and says "Nope, the mechanic says it's definitely 100% a multitronic gearbox". I asked him how many gears does it have, and he said "Well multitronic has eight gears so eight". But i don't remember seeing the car reach an 8th gear during the test drive, so he could be just saying that without actually checking. I said I had an Audi UK brochure from 2015, and it doesn't list any 2ltr diesel Multitronic A6's in its lineup, they're all listed as S-Tronic. He replied "It's a really early 2015 reg, so it could be a 2014 model". At that point I just left it there as he seemed adamant that it was Multitronic and I couldn't find the brochure for the 2014 model year.

So could I be missing out on a good car here due to lack of sales knowledge? Or am I mistaken and 2015 2.0TDI Ultra A6's did really come with a multitronic gearbox? Are there any other ways of checking other than how many gears it has? I was under the assumption that the TDI Ultra's started with the 2015 model year?

Usually I would just go view a different A6 but nice automatic estates are hard to come by in Ireland. And this one is over 1hr away so I'd rather make sure I have my facts straight before I go all they way there to look at it again.

If it’s any help, I have an A6 with the 8-speed Multitronic box and it does not hesitate between shifts, at all. In fact you won’t even notice it shifting.

Hi,

I'm in Ireland and I've just been to test drive a UK-Imported 2015 A6 Avant S-Line 190PS 2.0TDI Ultra Automatic. The dealer told me the car has a Multitronic gearbox. Now I'm not familiar with Audi's and I'm struggling to figure out if it really has a Multitronic CVT or if it's really an S-Tronic DSG and the dealer was mistaken. Google wasn't helping, so I thought I would ask here instead.

Before test driving the car the sales person told me it was a Multitronic. Then during the test drive I felt that the car was a bit hesitant, being used to manuals, and only having ever driven a DSG once, I put this down to the car being a Multitronic CVT. After the test drive I really liked the car, but I said I would try to find an S-Tronic DSG instead as I assumed that would be even better.

So I've done a bit of research, and I read in a few places that the 190PS Ultra was only ever sold as an S-Tronic. And that DSG's can feel a little bit hesitant at low speeds, which is where i felt the hesitation. I rang the sales person, and he said he'd double check with a mechanic in their workshop. He calls me back and says "Nope, the mechanic says it's definitely 100% a multitronic gearbox". I asked him how many gears does it have, and he said "Well multitronic has eight gears so eight". But i don't remember seeing the car reach an 8th gear during the test drive, so he could be just saying that without actually checking. I said I had an Audi UK brochure from 2015, and it doesn't list any 2ltr diesel Multitronic A6's in its lineup, they're all listed as S-Tronic. He replied "It's a really early 2015 reg, so it could be a 2014 model". At that point I just left it there as he seemed adamant that it was Multitronic and I couldn't find the brochure for the 2014 model year.

So could I be missing out on a good car here due to lack of sales knowledge? Or am I mistaken and 2015 2.0TDI Ultra A6's did really come with a multitronic gearbox? Are there any other ways of checking other than how many gears it has? I was under the assumption that the TDI Ultra's started with the 2015 model year?

Usually I would just go view a different A6 but nice automatic estates are hard to come by in Ireland. And this one is over 1hr away so I'd rather make sure I have my facts straight before I go all they way there to look at it again.
If was registered in the UK, it is either a 2.0 TDi Ultra 190 with a 7-speed DSG gearbox or a 2.0 TDi 177 with an 8-speed multitronic.

You should ring an Audi garage with the registration plate or the VIN number and they would tell you. A UK 2015 car should be a 190 as this combo appears in the February 2014 Sales Brochure.

Question is, is the multitronic in the A6 the same as others that are joking called chocolate boxes, due to not liking power & soft so to speak.

The multitronic box was only offered on the front wheel drive 177bhp 2.0l diesel C7s and the front wheel drive 3.0l V6. With the introduction of the Ultra engine (and possibly earlier) the box was replaced with the 7 speed S-Tronic dual clutch box. In this case (and not for the first time) the dealer does not know what he is talking about.

Also check when it last had the gearbox oil changed. It must be done at 4 years or 38k miles religously to avoid future problems. Depending mileage this car should have had at least one change. Also the gearbox has a memory which learns how it is driven and adapts accordingly. It may be that your driving style is very differnet to the previous owner making it behave a little less smoothly.