Help car won't start, coil light not on

Tiprat

Reaction score
As above really, just turned car off came to restart it 10 mins later, car just turns over, but then I noticed the coil light isn't even coming on at all.
Am I right in thinking it's a relay (109)? After reading some posts.
If so where is it located and do i just need to replace it

Does the light illuminate when you turn the key once? The coil light might not come on at all because the engine is at a temp where the car can fire without warming the glow plugs.

Relays are located in the scuttle panel. Check to see if the unit is sealed nicely as there may be some water ingress.

The coil light doesn't come on at all, I don't see it in any position I turn the key.
As for the scuttle panel location I'm guessing that it's the square box on the drivers side, I've undone the screws I can see but the lid won't come off, are the any screws that arnt visible, and do I need to remove the "black grilled panel" at the base of the windscreen? If so how do you do that?

Thats the one. There are two at the back if i recall from memory, you'll be able to see them. It is a tight squeeze to get the cover off and out but i've managed to do mine without removing the entire black grilled panel before.

Thanks for the quick reply seaneyb really appreciate it, I don't suppose you know which relay it will be?
Having read threads online they talk about it being the "ECU" relay but no one on the posts I've read say which relay that is.

From memory, I think its 457. This is for the glow plug/engine module. You'll notice there are a few hefty fuses in the relay box. It could be this. Do you have a multimeter handy to test to see if you have a short?

Thanks for this seaneyb and yes I do have a multimeter, but I don't really know how to use it but I'm game for trying..so if you want to explain il willingly try.

Just a quick post there is one screw hidden below the drivers side windscreen and near to the wing.
I had to take the windscreen wipers off and lift the grill to access it then I could get the lid off, all was dry thankfully.
Having removed the relays and reinsert them the car started first time and the coil light came on.
Now on the dash board I have a flashing handbrake red warning light, abs yellow light and the yellow traction control system light.

Sounds like a relay is not plugged in correctly or may be the wrong way round.