Help coolant warning and high temp

Steve_N

Derv Power
Reaction score
I was driving back from Portsmouth up the M27 when i got a coolant warning on the DIS, i checked the temp gauge and it was sat around 110, after about 10 seconds or so it shot straight up to 130, and the car steamed up immediately as if the aircon had turned off.
I pulled onto the hardshoulder and switched off the engine, and checked the coolant level, it was sat right on the MAX mark.
I left it about 5 min and started the car back up, and the temp gauge was sat at 90, so i carried on and then the temp went up to around 100 again but did not get any higher. I left the car for an hour and started it back up and the temp was about 70, and now i have no heat coming from the heater even when set on max.
The car is a 2004 a4 tdi 130, and i have never had any temp probs or coolant level probs prior to this, i have searched but cant find anything like this. Please help me!!!!!!

It sounds like your water pump has given up, probably the impellar broken up.

I am not 100% on a diesel, but i think it's driven by the cam belt so it's a complete front off job to do, and tbh while you are in there it's probably wise to do the cam belt and aux belts too

Just spoken to Paul(GTIjazzblue) and he said the same thing. To be honest that was my first thought as well but was trying to be optimistic and hopeing it would be somthing less expensive, cam belt needs changing soon anyway but was not counting on it being this soon........Oh well a phone call to Audi on Monday and then the RAC to get the car towed down to them.
On the bright side it passed its MOT today, at least that was free...........

Just a quick update, Audi said to bring the car in, and it will cost over £100 to do a diagnostic on the coolant system, but they cant fit it in for repair till Wednesday and there is no courtesy cars available, so i am without wheels till i get the car back:crying:
I called the RAC to recover me from my home to Audi, and they said that because Audi are 12 miles away they only recover to garages that are within a 10 mile radius:no:...I have been with them since 2001 and have only ever called them out twice which was a few years back, so after a phone call to customer services they have agreed as a good will gesture and as a one off only to recover the car to Audi..............time to find a new breakdown service me thinks...........

Sounds like the water pump, I had my water pump fail at 51k on my 2.0 petrol. The bearing in the pump had failed and the belt had started to slip off the toothed pulley, lucky for me it started to leak coolant so I spotted it. I got a new T belt & water pump fitted for £170 all in at my local garage. BTW I had the water pump go at 53k on my 1.8T bora too..

I called the RAC to recover me from my home to Audi, and they said that because Audi are 12 miles away they only recover to garages that are within a 10 mile radius:no:...I have been with them since 2001 and have only ever called them out twice which was a few years back, so after a phone call to customer services they have agreed as a good will gesture and as a one off only to recover the car to Audi..............time to find a new breakdown service me thinks...........

That for me is an absolute disgrace, really is, 2 miles difference, wtf & how many years with them & with 2 callouts, I mean wtf happened to common courteousy & customer good will, its like insurers, I have 5 yrs no claims & went back to insurer with no claims at all, even for glass & they still wouldnt give me better price, only after nagging & nagging on & on did I get what a tenner of but still not mch better than last years, this for me takes the **** overall.

Well i must have got the grumpiest patrolman ever, he put the car on the dolly trailer and said "ok i'm sure they will ring when its done", i was like no i'm going down as well.
On the way out to the main road he mounts the pavement twice with the dolly wheel, of course at this point i'm thinking it would be less of a risk to drive down to portsmouth.
When we get to Audi he just rolls the car of the dolly and says its all yours now..........when i put it in reverse the parking sensor didnt beeb and when i reversed into the space it didnt warn me of my proximity to the fence..........oh great another f**king problem does it never end, if this caused by the way the guy put the lights on then the RAC will be getting the bill.

Agreed Water pump impeler has snapped off the shaft, quite common on the A4 has they are made of plastic.

Mine went a few months back and I replaced it with a £20 metal impelar pump from Euro Car Parts.

I had the same story - suddenly overheating like that. Though mines a petrol T190.

Rather than than pay the stealers another 100quid for diagnostics I listened to the guys here on audi-sport. And they were right - it was the impeller.

Bought a metal impeller and a cam belt kit for £150, got an indy to fit it for £100.

That RAC fella sounds well out of order.

The water pump has gone, which i and everyone on here knew already, Audi are doing it under their fixed cambelt service plan so the only extra is the water pump and coolant. They are changing the thermostat as well because the car overheated, while the front is apart i have got them to check the auxilary belt tensioner as this was from a motor factors and not a genuine part so if it is dodgy then that can be replaced as well, they are giving me a 10% discount because of the amount of work done.
Once it is all back together they can then diagnose the parking sensor problem. Hopefully i should have my car back on Friday, it has been missed...........