Help! Double din conversion 8P pre facelift

Paul George Clark

Reaction score
Hi,

Folks, I need your help. So I’ve got a pre facelift 8P 5door (2006). I had the great idea of converting from single din to double din.

I bought the double din cage and I’ve got the climate control on the way. What do I need to do with the buttons? The picture is of the single din buttons.

I’d read online the fascia could be trimmed - but it’s looking like I need new buttons to me. Something doesn’t look right! Should say I’m not doing this myself, a local radio chap is doing it for me.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 6B3DBE81-D384-4614-9DE0-316C12DCEA16.jpeg
    6B3DBE81-D384-4614-9DE0-316C12DCEA16.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 710
  • 21CF546D-E3E5-4246-A985-5BD6480BF06E.jpeg
    21CF546D-E3E5-4246-A985-5BD6480BF06E.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 729
You need the buttons from a double din A3

also you can modify your existing cup holder to work in this (replaces the end cap of the cup holder with a card holder facia)

Thank you so much. Understood. Any lead for where I can find these? Guess ebay? Scrappers etc?

what’s your view on the fascia? Does it really need a double din variant or do you think the single din will be more successful with the correct buttons?

good tip on the cup holder thank you

I have both, you need the double din buttons.

Get it from someone breaking a car

Please keep us up to date - interesting read for (at least some of) us. I am still toying with the idea of switching from 1-din to 2-din, just couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars on it.

Cheers,

Hey,

So I got there in the end.

But in short, needed double din cage, double din heater/ climate unit and double din hazard/ ESP unit with fascia.

Although I've read people have trimmed existing units, looks a tough job to me.

In fairness, I'm pleased with the outcome - I installed a rear view camera at the same time. The labour, camera and install was £380, parts cost me c. £120. Although I've now got some stuff to sell!

Hope this helps - if I was doing it again knowing how much work went into it, I'd probably get a DAB radio and may be something with a bigger screen.
Paul

Attachments

• A3 2Din.jpg
    A3 2Din.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,112
Reactions: bronco
Looks good . Thanks for all the info Paul !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh quite a lot to pay for labour, but it’s a nice end result. You need a set of chrome vents next haha

I trimmed by hvac unit using a belt sander after making an approx stencil using cardboard when I converted mine

Reactions: bronco