HELP fitting new clutch pedal

Westy

Reaction score
On what would seem a **** easy job somehow VAG make it a massive ball ache!

Can anyone tell me how I get this crappy little White piece of plastic:

6c22ef17.jpg

Onto the ball on the end of the piston that goes to the master cylinder:

Dark pic but it's the shiny bit

aacfc783.jpg

I've tried putting it in the back of the pedal first but no good. And I tried putting it in boiling water to try and soften it! Any ideas?

Sorry dude no idea here

I smacked it in place using a rubber mallet - I tried forcing it by hand on but failed so resorted to using the enforcer (of the rubber variety). One wack and the jobs a goodun'.

Job is a right *****, like dave said, two tie wraps are the best bet for the spring, other wise your just ****ed lol.

Ok guys the new pedal feels great now except there is a bit of side to side play. I've tightened up the bolt as tight as I would go, any ideas why its moving side to side more than it did before?

Westle....

one word...."bushes". I did exactly the same with mine...and i know its very very annoying to have side to side play, get to Audi for a bush.

G

Apparently the arm has a bush kit, which they'd forgotten to inform me about when I purchased my pedal and clip from Audi.

I would assume that as the arm of the pedal is only anchor'd at one point i.e the top that this would be where the bush would sit, but don't quote me on it as I could be wrong.

I'd ring Audi or your parts co. where you bought the pedal and ask as they will have access to Audi parts software.

G

Apparently the arm has a bush kit, which they'd forgotten to inform me about when I purchased my pedal and clip from Audi.

I would assume that as the arm of the pedal is only anchor'd at one point i.e the top that this would be where the bush would sit, but don't quote me on it as I could be wrong.

I'd ring Audi or your parts co. where you bought the pedal and ask as they will have access to Audi parts software.

G

Bar Stewards! I've got ETKA on my laptop at home so I'll take a look later. I dont know if I can bare taking the pedal apart again after the hassle it caused last night.

Yea I know exactly how you feel. I actually had mine done twice. I had a wobbly pedal at the end of the first attempt and car was booked into Awesome so I asked them to sort it while it was there, came out all better. I wouldn't be able to handle the wobbly pedal for a long period of time.

Hope you get it sorted fella.

G

Yea I know exactly how you feel. I actually had mine done twice. I had a wobbly pedal at the end of the first attempt and car was booked into Awesome so I asked them to sort it while it was there, came out all better. I wouldn't be able to handle the wobbly pedal for a long period of time.

Hope you get it sorted fella.

G

The car is heading to 4Rings tonight for a load of work so I might add this to the list for them to do ;)

Mines wobbly! and kind of squeaky, hmm... Oh Biiiiiilllll

Ah ha! I was just going to try and grease it up as WD40 has no staying power.

Ah doesn't sound promising. I'll warn the neighbours to expect colourful language.

Edit: Cheers for the link. Looks spot on. I bought a 1/4" socket set especially to do it as it's tighter than a camels **** in a dust storm in there.

Last edited:
Really sorry to drag up an old thread, but.....

I now own Dane's old Silver S3 and it still has the squeaky, wobbly clutch pedal.

what is needed in order to sort these problems, it's kind of annoying.... :p

cheers for any help.

Really sorry to drag up an old thread, but.....

I now own Dane's old Silver S3 and it still has the squeaky, wobbly clutch pedal.

what is needed in order to sort these problems, it's kind of annoying.... :p

cheers for any help.

Nice car to buy mate.

If the pedal is wobbling from side to side you'll need to get the little plastic collar from audi. I didnt fit it to my replacement pedal and had to take the pedal off again but the plastic collar will sort it.

cheers mate, it really is.

I assume from reading this thread, it isn't an enjoyable job at all, especially at this time of the year...

any idea how much Audi would charge to fit it? (or another garage)

cheers.

I assume from reading this thread, it isn't an enjoyable job at all, especially at this time of the year...

cheers.

I hated this job! There is a special tool that VAG do that makes putting the spring in easier. I paid my mechanic to fit the collar as I really didn't want to take it all apart again just to fit the plastic collar in the hole. I think he charged me half hours work.

cheers.

A normal garage charges in the region of £100 for this to be done, including parts IIRC.

hmm £100 ouch!!

my pedall is wobbly and squeaky, would you say this is the problem (as a rough idea, i know it can;t be diognosed from that fully)

cheers.

James

Sorry Westy but this thread made me laugh! Mine wobbles too - Just needs a couple of bushes that I'll get around to doing at somepoint in the far future. :p

You can check if your pedal is missing the plastic bushes by getting your head in the ffotwell and having a look. Where the pivot bolt goes through the pedal there should be two bushes, 1 that pushes into each hole where the bolt goes through. I you can only see bare metal then you don't have them.