Help - Ive got a dent!

Burt25

Reaction score
I was about to get into my car yesterday, when I noticed I have a dent about 6" above the rear wheel arch (about size of 1p) along with a nice deposit of white paint from the idiot's door which slammed into it. I rang my local chips away who was able to tell me on the phone that the panel in question is double skinned and the only way they will be able to access the area is to drill a 3/8" hole beside the door latch, pop out the dent and then seal the hole with a rubber gromett.

The dent is really annoying me everytime I look at it, but I am worried about the prospect of having a hole drilled in my bodywork - has anyone had this done? Either I do the chipsaway route (£95) or £300+ for fill and respray at the local dealers?? Any advice would be appreciated.

If they drill holes in the bodywork I'd not be surprised if it voided your corrosion warranty! - check with the dealer first.

Im thinking that the chances of neeting to call upon the warranty are pretty slim (I only plan on keeping the car until its out of its 3 year warranty)

Personally I'd have the ChipsAway team have a go as I would much rather have the dent knocked back out without any need for filler or spraying etc. I think you would get a much better job that way. The gromett will never be seen and as long as they protect the edges of the hole they drill you should have no problems.

Good luck in which every way you decide. I know how annoying small dents are. The problem is it jumps out at you everytime you approach the car.

Burt25 said:
I rang my local chips away who was able to tell me on the phone that the panel in question is double skinned and the only way they will be able to access the area is to drill a 3/8" hole beside the door latch, pop out the dent and then seal the hole with a rubber grommet.

3 door or 5 door?

I had some damage in just about the same place. The guy who did mine removed the rear light cluster and drilled from there, filling the hole with a rubber grommet. Obviously much less noticeable. Very good job too.

Hi Rich, its a 5 door - the dent is about 2" from the lip of the door and about 6" above the wheel arch - I would guess its too far from the light cluster? I am also wondering if it might be accessible from drilling into the wheel arch?

also consider the idea of unbolting the door latch anddrilling in behind it and then replacing the door latch

Why do you think it would be drilled? I have not seen a body pannel drilling for many years, if needed, spot welding and pulling is the norm. But ding men normally don't need anything more than the drain holes in the bottom of the doors, or the light cluster, using very special hammers and heat. The last time I need a ding man it cost me £40 for one pannel. Most good painters will point you in the direction of one, and your local dealer will be using one for there 2nd hand cars.

Chris.

PS - it was £40 at the beginning of the year, but I had to wait until he had other work in the area (a couple of weeks or so)

Chris.

jasaudi said:
also consider the idea of unbolting the door latch anddrilling in behind it and then replacing the door latch

Not possible as theres a thick metal plate behind the skin, Good thinking though!

HeliChris said:
Why do you think it would be drilled? I have not seen a body pannel drilling for many years, if needed, spot welding and pulling is the norm. But ding men normally don't need anything more than the drain holes in the bottom of the doors, or the light cluster, using very special hammers and heat. The last time I need a ding man it cost me £40 for one pannel. Most good painters will point you in the direction of one, and your local dealer will be using one for there 2nd hand cars.

Chris.

Sometimes it's not possible to get where need to be with PDR tools as there's lots of things to content with such as Impact bars strenghening bars and al sorts of other things so sometimes drilling holes is quicker and easier. And if it's easier for the technician the chances are he'll do a better job.

There is another way though and thats by a Glue dent puller. Basically a shaped grommet is glued onto the dent via special glue using a traditional hot melt glue gun then a hammer/pulling toll is used to knock/pull the dent out. Not many PDR companies (Paintless Dent Removal) use it as it takes longer the results aren’t as good but again if it’s done properly you wont notice

Shame you weren’t around the Sheffield area as I could have done this for you.

The guys who came to look at mine decided that was the only way to get at it. The hole (I could just get my little finger in it) was just so they could work at the dent from the inside with those rod things.

I found a couple of pics

The damage

Damage002.jpg

Damage001.jpg

And the result before polish and wax

Repair001.jpg

A bit lower down than the 6" that Burt25 describes. Should be easier on his though, mine was right on the line of the wheel arch.

Von Maximo said:
Shame you weren’t around the Sheffield area as I could have done this for you.

Damn that's useful to know! PM me your details!

Well, a guy from Chipsaway looked at the car today and tried glueing a spigot to the dent and pulling it but to no avail. Cant get at the dent from the light cluster as the fuel filling pipe is in the way - So looks like he's going to have to drill (which he is hesitant to do) - 2 options - 1. Drill from door jamb which will leave a visible gromit; 2. Drill from wheel arch (will be an eliptical hole as it has to be drilled at an angle and so a gromit cannot be fitted afterwards). Ive told him I'm happy for him to drill the wheel arch - as I cant see any real risk of water ingress past the arch liner. - So booked for him to come back next Tues to do the job. (not overly comfortable with drilling, buts the choice is between that / living with the dent (not an option) or respray quarter panel (painful financially and risk of poor colour match)

Question is - Is there something I can use to patch the hole - just in case any water gets up there? - I'm thinking Isopon / glass fibre / some kind of butyl patch - any recommendations? -

i had a horrible crease down the side of the rear arch and i got the guy at work to sort it out, he used the good old glue gun and hammer type thing process and the crease has gone! the crease was worse than the one you got in the picture.

also took out 2 dents on my door, charged me £10!!!!