Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

Not a mechanic so I cannot say 100% about any physical problems other than what I have experienced while performing updates. Personally I always suggest the software update route first as it tends to be the fastest a cheapest way to start a process of elimination. For your ECU the most up to date file is: 8036.

Cool. I was under the impression that as I had a dsg with software 7001 that was the latest version. If I have no joy with local dealer I’ll pm you

Update- car all sorted thanks to @DJAlix.

Met him this morning and he gave the car a full scan and uploaded the new map.

Took the car out and all appeared well until we got back to his place when the car stalled and wouldn’t idle! Alex then rescan the car and it threw up some codes relating to the MAF, intake and transmission. Checked the MAF and all was fine. Let the car sit for 5 mins, restarted it and all was back to normal. It was probably just the emu etc having to do some adaptation. Rescanned and all faults clear, even on that I’d had before relating to the N80 valve.

Just got back home after a 120 mile drive at varying speeds and the car is perfect, even mpg is improved as well as gearbox behaviour.

Anyone else who has this issue, if able I’d say the map update should be your first port of call. Just beware it may throw up some other underlying issues (chain, gearbox). Luckily for me it didn’t!

I can’t recommend Alex enough, really professional, nice chap. I for one will use him again if required.

Reactions: aqibi2000, paddy and DJAlix
Hi all, old thread I know. Was the issue you guys had similar to mine shown in video

If so, I am guessing I need a software update?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No, that's not the same as the issue I had. Mine just had a kind of flat spot around 2000rpm and the revs would waiver a bit around there. All perfect since DJAlix installed the latest software on my ECU back in September!

If you haven't already, get a VCDS scan done, which might help pinpoint the problem.

Hi all, old thread I know. Was the issue you guys had similar to mine shown in video

If so, I am guessing I need a software update?

No, that's not the same as the issue I had. Mine just had a kind of flat spot around 2000rpm and the revs would waiver a bit around there. All perfect since DJAlix installed the latest software on my ECU back in September!

If you haven't already, get a VCDS scan done, which might help pinpoint the problem.
Vcds shows no errors unfortunately.

No thats not the common 3.2 fault, that looks like a surge from fuel or timing, i would do the basics first, injector clean, MAF clean, all the things that cost nothing then check codes again, it may take a while for them to register.

I agree with Paddy. The issue was at around 2K if you had the issue you would have trouble holding the revs 2K smoothly. It would want to bounce around.

Loving the note though makes me want to take mine out for a little spin now that the weather id more compliant for windows down driving.

Hi guys.
New to the forum having just bought my mates 2004 3.2 DSG.
This also has the dreaded hesitancy at 2k. Its ECU is 022 906 032 cb with version 5604 software.
I spoke to truro Audi and Audi UK today, quoting the required TPL number etc and they both denied any knowledge of the update (no surprise)
Im just wondering what i can do next to try and get the software uplifted.
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers.

Spoke to Jamie at retrofitSW but he doesn't have the software for my car.
Audi are just flatly denying the update exists.
I'm wondering if a remap will sort the issue?
Any suggestions guys?

I've got a running problem with my A3. I picked the car up about 3 weeks ago and have noticed it has a problem when the revs get to around 2k rpm. It's apparent when driving, but also when parked, it's also impossible to hold the car at 2k rpm. The revs bounce up and down by around 300rpm either way!. The cars been checked for fault codes but doesn't have any. I've also tried unplugging the maf, but that makes no difference.
I have been back to the dealer (Mercedes), who took it to a local independant. They acknowledge that a fault exists but don't know what it is and have advised taking it to Audi. The Dealer is reluctant to do this.

Anybody got any clues/experience of a similar problem?

Hi Ju. I have a 2005 A3 3.2 DSG which seems to have the throttle waver issue between approx 1500 - 2100 rpm. I read some of the thread on this and it seems that you had yours fixed by a software update. I'd like to get mine fixed also however don't know too much about cars. Is there somewhere specific that I should contact to get this done? There is an Audi garage here in Swansea. I mentioned the software update to them once while getting some other work done, but they didn't think it needed it (which I read is their stock response). Anyway if there's an easy fix for this I'd be grateful for the knowhow, as the car works great in higher revs - but I can't go driving around in sport mode, tempting as that is. Alex.

Hi Ju. I have a 2005 A3 3.2 DSG which seems to have the throttle waver issue between approx 1500 - 2100 rpm. I read some of the thread on this and it seems that you had yours fixed by a software update. I'd like to get mine fixed also however don't know too much about cars. Is there somewhere specific that I should contact to get this done? There is an Audi garage here in Swansea. I mentioned the software update to them once while getting some other work done, but they didn't think it needed it (which I read is their stock response). Anyway if there's an easy fix for this I'd be grateful for the knowhow, as the car works great in higher revs - but I can't go driving around in sport mode, tempting as that is. Alex.
This thread does keep coming back up!
It's a distant memory for me now so I dont think I'll be much help but I think there are a few threads about the same issue and a tpi from Audi about gearbox judder that is the same update.
P.s. my sister lives in gower!

You’ll be lucky to get a dealer to do it without doing a scan first.

They will insist on one to caber themselves.

Warning: make sure your vehicle has no other issues first. The update could expose underlying ones and make things worse. If your chain is stretched this won’t cure the problem.

A quick note to say thanks to Ju and all the others who found out this information the hard way nearly 10 years ago.. it's most definitely still relevant information!
I've just picked up a 2004 3.2 DSG model in New Zealand with 172kms on the clock. I had exact same issue as most on here with the hesitation or inability to hold constant revs between around 1500-2100 rpm. The fix information still works - I had it done today (software update to address mapping issue on the MOTRONIC ME 7.1.1 ECU). Night and day difference to the drive ability following the update. This was after finding this article by chance and reading through all 29 pages of the story!
One note - My local VW / Audi dealer needed to search on the updated TPI (2010289/3) to find the software version (I think thanks to DJAlix for that update?) and my ECU was part number 022 906 032 GJ. Software version was 7000, updated to version 8036.
Thanks again guys. Cheers, Russell

Last edited:
Reactions: paddy