Help Needed - Brakes

Arkious

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am hoping for a bit of help here with regards to warranties, discs and pads...

The story is that I got my car from Audi in October, it had its front discs and pads changed under warranty in the February due to them warping. Having spoken with John and read threads regarding redstuff I decided that it would be best to avoid the warping in future and therefore put a set on whilst the discs are new. Now in less than 3000 miles and only 6 months later they are warped again requiring another set.

So... this is where im stuck between a rock and a hard place. Audi have gave me the following options;
  • Replace discs under warranty and refit used redstuff (would void future disc warranty)
  • Replace discs under warranty and fit a new set of redstuff (would void future disc warranty)
  • Replace discs under warranty and buy a set of Audi pads (maintain the warranty and don't fit redstuff)
They said if I brought in my old pads they would replace under warranty but I must have disposed of them as I can not locate them anywhere.

So my question is what the heck do I do and what would have caused my discs to warp again? They are going to carry out a force wheel balance and geometry setup but what else can I ask them to check? I don't drive it like a maniac and its never been on a track.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I'm so paranoid, I have a similar issue... Fml

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

rightly so, the Audi pads are about £350! and then the discs on top.

I just don't know what's best to do to be honest

rightly so, the Audi pads are about £350! and then the discs on top.

I just don't know what's best to do to be honest

Take it back to OEM STANDARD, Jay; if you've repeat issues then there's every reason to keep it OEM STD.

That's the problem though, I completely understand the reasons for upgrading to redstuff and how much better the car feels with them. They are also half the price of the crap Audi ones. The only issue is the warping.

The master tech has told me to put it in neutral and keep the foot off the brake when at traffic lights etc to prevent any heat soak warp but this is turning into a right nightmare

Would you not consider getting yourself the likes of ap discs or the likes .get Audi to supply you with there new discs and pads and just sell them brand new on eBay ect .

They won't Just supply them unfortunately, but I did think of that. But then to be honest they would both be under warranty again which keeps it off my back. It's just the outlay of the crap Audi pads that are the pain

If you contact Mike at worcester seat parts depot you can get genuine pads for £100.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkious and 45bvtc
Super information, John; Jay will appreciate. Hope all is well with you and your stunning RS3 :hi:

Reactions: Arkious
Did you manage to sort your brakes? Mine have done the exact same 6months later! Crazy judder under braking, been into Audi and they say it's the discs. Do you think it's worth skimming them?

Yeah I got them sorted mate, turns out it was a big big issue.

Basically it turned out the transfer box had a warped shaft, which was causing an off centric turning of the drive shaft. This in turn ended up causing the disks to vibrate back and fourth which they say was the root cause of the early warping. This on top of a wheel geometry and a force wheel alignment has my car feeling absolutely tip top!

Audi replaced all parts under warranty and I paid for the alignment and balance

Reactions: bobby_s3 and Gazwould
Yeah I got them sorted mate, turns out it was a big big issue.

Basically it turned out the transfer box had a warped shaft, which was causing an off centric turning of the drive shaft. This in turn ended up causing the disks to vibrate back and fourth which they say was the root cause of the early warping. This on top of a wheel geometry and a force wheel alignment has my car feeling absolutely tip top!

Audi replaced all parts under warranty and I paid for the alignment and balance
O wow.

So I have already had my transfer (bevel) box replaced by Audi, so I'm hoping the would of checked the driveshafts already?

Mine are definitely warped, as the minute I touch the brake the judder is there and when slamming them on you can really feel it!

Interesting we have had a similar issue! I had vibrating with and without the brake pedal pressed.

I don't think I would risk skimming the discs and as there would be even less surface area for the heat to dissipate (however small that amount may be).

If I get warped discs again I will be turning to MTEC's new 2 part discs. I have bought their rear discs and they have been superb so I have no reason to think their 2 parts will be bad. They are £715 for the Rotors, Bells and Bolts then in future £500 for a new set of Rotors. It might be worth looking into them instead of Audi ones as if this car has given me a headache its certainly been its brakes!

21768640_2189147911312005_711838763762149327_o.jpg

Reactions: bobby_s3 and 45bvtc
also, when I refer to a warped shaft, I mean the transfer boxes internal shaft not the drive shaft its self. Audi even invited me into their workshop to show me just how bad the warp was, it was very tight to turn for 3/4 of a rotation and then the other 1/4 it was slack and then as you rotated it you could see how far the shaft was moving off its centre.

Reactions: bobby_s3
Interesting we have had a similar issue! I had vibrating with and without the brake pedal pressed.

I don't think I would risk skimming the discs and as there would be even less surface area for the heat to dissipate (however small that amount may be).

If I get warped discs again I will be turning to MTEC's new 2 part discs. I have bought their rear discs and they have been superb so I have no reason to think their 2 parts will be bad. They are £715 for the Rotors, Bells and Bolts then in future £500 for a new set of Rotors. It might be worth looking into them instead of Audi ones as if this car has given me a headache its certainly been its brakes!

And non floating Jay, nice....

Reactions: bobby_s3 and Arkious

They are meant to be the TT RS ones, so I imagine them to look the same but with bells sitting a little prouder for our RS 3's

They look sturdier than the OEM that's for sure! whether or not they perform better and last longer one of us will have to try haha. I will be getting them if mine fail in future though

Reactions: bobby_s3
Good find Jay.

I note you can choose disc pattern, too; slotted, drilled, etc.

I'll certainly give 'em a try if I ever have issues with my own OEM front brake discs; fixed as opposed to floating on a road car for me will always be preferred.

Maybe Audi GmbH are now thinking the same...
7072.gif

Reactions: Arkious and bobby_s3

Cheers for the information!

So after speaking to BMW(who I bought the car off) and Audi they have kindly decided to replace my discs and pads. This will be done at an Audi centre so will come with warranty! Happy days.

If I have this issue in the future, I will definitely look at getting these 2 piece discs. Look alot more sturdier than the OEM ones.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Arkious