Help needed, MAF/EGR?

CMB1

Reaction score
Was on the motorway last week and the car suddenly lost power, not completely but almost as if it lost boost, was struggling to get over 60mph. Had it scanned by the AA and it came back with an EGR fault, so i took the EGR valve off and cleaned out the carbon like I've seen a few do, didn't make any difference. Then i thought i would unplug the MAF and see what that done, instantly sorted the power problem, car was running fine. So i thought it was obviously a broken/faulty MAF sensor as every time it was plugged in the car would have no power, as soon as i unplug it, power comes back. So i bought a new Bosch sensor and fitted it, still the same problem. What could this be? why would unplugging the MAF fix the problem, when its clearly not the MAF thats causing the issue? Car is a 2006 A4 2.0tdi 140. Any ideas?
Cheers

You need the exact code. It sounds like an EGT fault that is triggering limp mode. Disconnecting the MAF is effectively disabling the EGR fault monitoring which is why the car feels ok.