Help needed! Oil pressure light TQS

jgttdi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my A4 hasn't been driven for a month so I took it for a run today, after around 2 miles of driving the red oil pressure light came on, I quickly stopped and switched the engine off and on again but the light has came back on, drove home and the car sounds like a tractor (ticking away) I have checked the oil level and that's fine, also my oil temperature gauge has never worked since owning the car.

Please help, any advice would be great.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I hope not, the car was running perfect, I always let it idle up to temperature before driving it, just seems out of the blue that its happened.

Yes when the light came on the dash I beeped 3 times as a warning.

Sounds like oil pump pick up blocked /sludged up and starved pump.
You could take sump off and check if its sludged up and clean pick up pipe.

If its over 100k just stick a new pump in when its apart. That light means "turn it off immediately" So you'll have to hope you've not damaged anything else!

Would doing an engine flush help at all? Or would running the engine during the flush cause more damage?

no needs the pick up cleaning or changing
i recon you have took the turbo out at least.
as above means do not drive

What you mean took the turbo out?

The drive home was only 2 miles maximum, so dropping the sump is the only protocol?

Thanks

2 mile with the no oil preasure can be very bad
yes sump off and clean as above if its high miles think about changing the pump aswell

Ok I will try that, I hope the turbo isn't goosed as well.

would it be best to fit a genuine oil pump or has anyone has any experience with eBay ones?

What oil would everyone recommend to use after replacing the oil pump?

Thanks again everyone :)

eurocarparts large oil filter for 1.8tqs 501440080 £9 free with their own brand oil

So the sump is now off, the oil pick up pipe is blocked up by all the sludge etc, would you all advise changing the oil pump?

Has anyone used non genuine pumps?

Thought I would update things here, had a few issues when I bought the A4 a few months back, so far I have changed the oil pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, rear brake pads, service with bigger oil filter and replaced all 4 springs with eibach ones.

The car is running great now, I will try and set up a build thread ASAP, thanks for everyone who answered my questions.

Thanks J

Yeah no lasting damage thankfully, I just replaced the oil pump and good new oil and all seems well for the last 1000 miles or so.