Help needed strange whirring noise

Cor123

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody is able to assist me, I have an Audi A4 1.8T FWD 190BHP 2004 model.
There seems to be a whirring noise coming from the region of the gearbox (quite loud when the windows are shut) but the noise tends to stop when I depresse the clutch peddle and gets noticeably louder the higher the revs are. If I was to be in 6th doing 50mph the noise isn’t to bad just a slight whirring but as soon as I speed up to past 70 it gets really noticeable and it does it in all the gears but not so much low down revs in 1st any help would be great
Thank you
Corey

If you press the clutch down does it dissapear? Can you hear it at stand still?

Thrust bearings knackered, new clutch i'm afraid, not worth having the box out and only changing the bearing.
Unless you check the condition of the friction plate & it's good.

Really I’ve had 5/6 different views some have said gearbox bearing and others have said clutch release such a ball ache

I was going to say clutch release bearing, which i assume is the same as thrust bearing. It wont rattle under pressure, like when you've got the clutch down.

Reading your post again though, they normally rattle and dont get louder.

As said might as well change the clutch whilst your at it, unless its new.

Okay I might try and change it all out at the weekend I’ll try to upload a video tomorrow aswell so it’s a bit easier to determine