Help needed with

phillip 200

Reaction score
Diff codes my car has EUB I think and the g/box is FYC (6speed) I think. I have found one with a code of ETS from a 2.5 TDI and was hoping it will fit as my diff is not so well.

Phillip.

Rear Diffs are matched to the gearbox....one FYC box may not have the same ratios.
I too have that combo,common on the avf engines...is yours a avant saloon?
Look towards the end of my progress thread...you will see some figures,i put them there for safe keeping.

Hi it's has the AVF engine and is a Avant SE130 bhp 6 speed I have found a ETS diff from a 02 2.5 tdi and was hoping that they are the same gear ratio as my diff makes some noise when you slow down from 70mph plus.

Phil.

Ok but be 100% sure because you will cause alot of damage if its wrong.
Im pretty sure none of them are the same. EUB matches the FYC and only comes on the 1,9tdi quattro.
ETS is 2.5tdi and theres another for the 1.8T.

Hi yes I need to find out what the gearing is in my diff, from what I have found the ETS diff is a 9/35 but I have not found it for mine yet. I did find a bit of info on my G/Box diff and it said it has a 10/37 diff ?

Phil.

differential; pinion gear set; 6-speed manual tran... - Audi A4/S4/Avant/quattro(A4Q) [EUROPA 2002 year]

x448409200.png.pagespeed.ic.gxRPhB0BEY.png

part code title information note quantity data model
differential
pinion gear set
6-speed manual transmission 3.0ltr.
1.8/1.9ltr. quattro+
GJW,FYC,HCG
GJV,HCG
1 01X 409 121 A differential housing ball:90mm 1
2 02X 409 143 M pinion gear set 35/9 1 GJV
2 02X 409 143 E pinion gear set 35/9 1 GJV
2 02X 409 143 pinion gear set 35/9 1 GJV
(2) 02X 409 143 A pinion gear set 37/10 1 FYC,HCG
(2) 02X 409 143 N pinion gear set 37/9 1 GJW
(2) 02X 409 143 B pinion gear set

Hi thanks for the info I will have a look to see if my diff number is 01R500044 / 44D if it's the 44 then the ETS would be OK as it is a 9/35.

Phil.

Well I have looked all over my rear diff and the only code I can find is behind the diff mounting bracket that holds the diff in,and it looks to be OJR525053 now I do not know if it should be 0IR not OJR and the last number 3 was very hard to see so it may not be a 3 it could be a 5 or 8 so now I am at a loss.

Phil.

Just drain the oil and keep driving it,cant see it going bang TBH

Hi yes I have though about it but I like my Quattro and my other avant 2 wheel drive 115bhp I just cannot bring my self to do that it goes against the 30 years of being a diesel engineer I think.

Phil.

These cars are superior...hence why the diffs arent available second hand.
i looked before as mines leaking,just swop over i thought.looks like ill be doing the seals.

Hi well I took the diff out today and striped it down it has a 37/10 crown gear and pinion the bearings don't look to bad with no pitting or scoring on the crown bearings I have not puled the pinion out yet as I cannot find my 36mm socket.

Phil.

What was it like to do?
was the 37/10 on top with white writing quite big?

Hi it was OK to do I did not take off the exhaust as I did it on a set of car ramps on my drive it took me about 2 hours all in there was no paint code numbers so I have took the diff apart and counted the pinion and crown gears I could have done it in about 1 hour on a two poster ramp.
The pinion nut is very very tight the VW/Audi tool to undo it would make the job a lot easer so I made one.

Phil.