Help -New car and new cleaning regime needed

joedredd

2009 S4 just love it
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
HI all

I have already sent an email to "juicy" for some advice and whilst waiting for a reply I thought I would ask all you excellent detailers in the making.

I have a 2006 Silver A6 Avant, with 18" BBS split rims (15 spoke).

I have already given its first wash with my old cleaning products, but now starting to look for some more ideas and what new products will enhance it further.

I used the following products;
Meguiars Gold shampoo
Auto Glym SRP
Auto Glym Glass cleaner
Auto Glym Extra gloss protection

I wash the car via 2 bucket method, after throwing 2 buckets of plain water over car first. This will be the method until hose pipe ban is lifted, unless any other suggestions. I use the Autoglym squeegee blade and chamois to dry car before applying SRP etc via polishing stocking.

So please be gentle with me, everything is done by hand. I am looking for a full list to start afresh. I have now run out of cleaning products so what will be good to replace them with?

Thanks

George

Hi George

I would need a little more details such as your budget to really start recommending products. I personally found myself buying a LOT of products but every single one has a purpose and used properly you won't run out anytime soon. Halfords have a 3 for 2 offer which i used to buy Meguiars tyre gel, Autoglym 1L SRP and Meguiars Interior detailer.

The SRP i no longer need to use for our car since i bought the Blackfire Wet Ice over Fire kit but it will get used on my other car. I think the foundation of good car cleaning is proper washing products and in particular what your using to wash the car with.

The general recommendation is to use the 2 bucket method which i see your doing with a lambswool mitt for the bodywork and a microfibre mitt, combined with some wheel woolies (or a wheel brush depending on your rims design) and some brushes. Then to dry the car off its recommended using a microfibre drying towel and boy can i tell you, those things WORK!!

The chamois is a joke compared to a good quality microfibre towel. Also if you can, i highly recommend you buy something like Meguiars nxt metal polysh to use on the rims, exhaust and any silver work you have on the car. It gives it a really nice shine and should help when it comes to cleaning the wheels etc, as i found dirt is usually harderst to get off here. For best results, its recommended you really take the whole wheel off and clean it.

Since your car or any other new car may have comtamination you can't see but only feel, you need to use something called a clay bar to get rid of that contamination. I'm planning on doing it myself tommorow now i got all the kit ready and got the weekend off. It simply involves buying a pre-made kit like the one on Juicy Jens site.

It all boils down to budget to be honest with you, and although the initial outlay may seem like a lot, you will be using these products quite frequently and applied correctly, they will be with you a while. Maybe even beyond the car you planned to use them ford.

Hope that helped and hope to give you more advice but this forum does tend to take a couple of days sometimes before you get a response and other times really quickly. Hopefully as i demonstrated, but only cause i look for a response in my own thread. I'll have some before and after pics to share with you hopefully of what the whole 9 yards can do for you in my own 'Phantom Black A4 Black Edition' thread a little lower down. :)

Thanks for the info Narmak. Luckily me son has also just bought a new car so we are going halves on cleaning bits. Must admit popped into Halfords today and saw Autoglym HD wax (?) and was gobbed smacked at the price £45 for a small pot of wax !!! OMG I must be getting old.

I forgot to mention that I have a lambs mitt, but will definetly switch to microfibre. Budget tough call at this moment but I suppose about £50-£75 for now to get the basics and then special products as and when needed but really need a good alloy cleaner, its such a pain to clean all those spokes after owning RS6 alloys on previous car!

Thanks for the info Narmak. Luckily me son has also just bought a new car so we are going halves on cleaning bits. Must admit popped into Halfords today and saw Autoglym HD wax (?) and was gobbed smacked at the price £45 for a small pot of wax !!! OMG I must be getting old.

I forgot to mention that I have a lambs mitt, but will definetly switch to microfibre. Budget tough call at this moment but I suppose about £50-£75 for now to get the basics and then special products as and when needed but really need a good alloy cleaner, its such a pain to clean all those spokes after owning RS6 alloys on previous car!

Yeah, some of the prices certainly seem high and i don't think a lot of enthusiasts are completely sold on Autoglym when you have other highly applauded competitors. I personally decided on the Blackfire Wet Ice over Fire after doing a search on the net about them and even reading the sticky thready about black colours.

It's expensive at £141 but you'll have it for ages which is what appealed to me. Especially as our car will be around for a minimum of 3 years. Same with the other products. They will last and they're quality from the good word of all around.

I would recommend the nxt metal polysh for the wheels. I would recommend the microfibre towel and there are value versions on both Juicy Jen's site and the guys at Polished Bliss as well for almost all the other products.

I think the Meguiars ultra safe wheel spoke combined with 3M wheel cleaner should take care of the alloys and if the wheel spokes are as tight as you say, for regular cleaning it should really help. Theres a detailing brush set by Race glaze that also could be very useful for the door shut and more difficult parts of the rim the brush can't get with.

I think a quick detailer should help to keep your car clean between washes with the use of a quality microfibre towel. The basic products shouldn't cost a lot. Wheel woolies and the Blackfire tyre cleaner that comes with the advanced wash kit on PB cost £59 if bought separately, but i don't think you will need them unless you decide to take the wheels off and even then, with the brushes it would be easier (possibly).

I think the Autoglym SRP topped with a wax from somebody like Poorboys would do you as a good stop in. I think theres a great deal of items and you just need to make a list of the items you want to buy and then look on either site, they are both well priced and highly rated by group members, including myself.

Hope that helps and i'll be sure to check back when you have other questions. :)

Get the hose out, the hosepipe ban doesn't start until the 5th of April! Have you looked at the beginner kits on juicy? Dodo juice sour power is a good shampoo, I'd also get a clay bar and lube, some nice soft towels and jetseal 109, it's easy to apply and buff off and offers excellent looks and protection and can by used on your wheels. There's so much choice though, it can get a bit confusing.

Hi George,

I think you are pretty set already and a few things added to your collection will help. To be clear, I am all about using the stuff I have in the garage first before splashing the cash. Call me a tight Northener (though I live in the south). :)

The Meguiars Gold Shampoo is absolutely fine. Also the SRP topped with the extra gloss protection is fine and a great combo. Sure, there are more expensive combos but that SRP+EGP will give you a cracking finish. I have the Autoglym HD Wax but I doubt you'd see much difference over SRP+EGP. If you do want it, buy it online. It is much, much cheaper.

So taking what you have and bearing in mind what NARMAK has said I would consider getting a clay kit. Use this after you have washed but before you put the SRP on. Also ditch the blade and the chamois. A microfibre drying towel is much kinder. You can buy them in ASDA for £5 or less. I also have some noodle wash mitts I bought in Tesco for hardly any cash.

As for the hose pipe ban, I've ordered some "Optimum No Rinse" to experiment with. Have a Google and you'll see what it's about. Basically wash and dry with no rinse stage.

Here's a quick run down of what I am using currently:
- Wash with Dodo Juice Basics of Bling shampoo
- Tesco noodle wash mitt
- Dry with ASDA microfibre towel
- Quick going over with Autoglym Aqua Wax

I'm also learning machine polishing at the moment. So when I am doing this I use (in addition to the above):

- Meguiars Quik Clay Kit
- Iron X
- Dodo Juice Lime Prime
- Autoglym HD wax

All that gives me this: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/152525-2nd-go-da.html

In addition I use Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine for the wheels. This has to be one of the best value for money wheel sealants going, it lasts ages and works well.

I'm all about value for money and will always try to use up what I have first before buying more. Don't be afraid of hanging on to your cash, it's possible to get great results from what you have. I worry that detailing forums sometimes encourage you to buy tons of stuff when working with what you have can be just as effective.

Scotty I like your way of talking, I also have a bit of Scottish blood in me so agree re money. OK I will ditch the blade and chamois and join the towel brigade. After cleaning my car I could definetely feel some small bits of dirt still so will have a go at claying next time, I just love the paint silky smooth. Thanks for the pointers from everyone, next time I wash the car I will post some pics on here and be ready for some advice for the next step :)

As Scotty, he is more knowledgable on the product front that will probably fit you budget but heres a link to the car care guide.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/33236-polished-bliss-car-care-guides.html

That will cover every are you need and especially claying. I'm gonna be giving the car a good detailing tommorow as a 1st time. I have pics up right now of the current state of the car just with some products on but tommorow i'll have the rest of them applied (the products are also shown in the bottom pics).

I think the top pics with minimum product still did a great job and that is with just a quick detailer and some megs polysh on the wheels and exhaust really. No SRP and EGP combo like Scotty mentioned.

I think time is the only real cost you need to worry about once you bought all the products, but luckily you only have to do it only 3-4 months per year to keep on top of the best look possible for your car.

Quick question re the clay bar. Is it only good for one panel or can I do the whole car with one bar then throw away?

Quick question re the clay bar. Is it only good for one panel or can I do the whole car with one bar then throw away?

You'll be suprised how little you actually need in some cases. It all depends on how much contamination you have on the car. I think the recommendation by some is to start with a little bit, the size that easily fits in your parl but is very thin and not a lot (a small piece really) and then use the clay lube to spray the panel part. Spray the clay before use too and then start on a small section.

If a lot is coming off, then your gonna need more and maybe a whole bar but i wouldn't think a normal car would need more than half a bar thats normal size.

Hope that helps :)

depending on the size, you use one piece at a time moulding it to keep a clean surface. Once it's dirty, throw it. And if you drop it, bin it. Or you'll be rubbing dirt over your panels.

This is how I learned to clay.

How to Clay Bar - YouTube

Keep folding the clay over to a clean side and squish it flat again as you work round the car. I've done about 2 1/2 full cars with the 50g clay bar that came with the Meguiars Quik Clay Kit. I've just bought some more (a 200g bar from i4detailing this time). I'll tear this up into smaller lumps for use. I'll keep the old, dirtier one for use on wheels. Be warned, if the neighbours have never seen a clay bar they'll think you're mad rubbing blu tack all over the car. :)

If you want even more answers to every possible question head over to A world for detailers... and have a read. Or continue to ask here, we're all friendly. Just remember we all have our own opinions about what products work best. Read what you can, try a few things and form your own opinions. You'll soon get the hang of it. And have fun, that's an order. :)

Cheers all, thanks for the video scotty, I had already watched it and glad to see its pretty easy to use. Just bought the Meguiars kit, so slowly stocking up on bits ready for next wash :thumbsup: