help please 2001 a4 tdi pd engine

dan b5 tdi

Reaction score
hi there ive just got my self a audi a4 advant tdi. I bought it off ebay with 3 owners from new with 90k on the clock. so i drove it home all ok then went to start it the next day and o no troble starting. To cut a long story short the timing was out a full tooth not good. the car had just had a new turbo put on and the top end done. They had timed it up useing the old chork mark way not the way it should be done at all. so affter all that sorted i put it on the vag scan then came back with the fault code for the injector harness so put a new 1 of them in and did the injector seals at the same time. so affter that my mgp started working for the fist time but still bad starting when cold so today i tested the glow plug wires ive been told i should be getting 12v but dead so i trased them back to a 80amp fuse all good there so went to the relay tested the relay that works fine as well. There is 12v going to the relay but the relay does not turn on so back to the wiring diagram and that lead me to 2 sensors wich is the coolent temp sensor and the air sensor wich tells the relay to come on if the engine is cold and heats the glow plugs up. so i just replaced the coolent temp sensor to night and my temp gaege started to work but now the rad fan kicks in at like 60c can any body help me with this any iders why the fan is kicking in.
icon8.png

am new to the audi seen any help will be much appreciated thanks
icon10.png

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is b6 model?

Think you will have more luck in the b6 section

There is threads in there on similar problems

Also which fan is cutting in? You should have a viscous fan on the passenger side which is for engine cooling and an electric one on the drivers side which is for the air con if its the electric one cutting in then it could just be normal now its getting a little warmer or a fault with the air con

yah its the air con fan but now i have changed my themastat and temp sensor the temp is bang on 90c but i still dont have power to my plow plugs i have had it in the vag scan an i have 1 fault wich is pritty worrying 17675 wich is saying injector number 3 is faulty but ive had a read up and it could poss be a worn cam/lifters ever way its a pricey job. does any body no if this fault would stop my gkow pugs from working ?

you may only get power in this weather for a few seconds i cant see that fault stopping the glow plugs to be honest but stranger things have happened

how does the car start from cold?

Glowplugs won't even be coming on in this weather. I doubt there's any problem at all. If there was a problem then your diagnostic would show a fault with either one or all glow plugs. No fault - no worry.

I'll move this into the B6 section as it will get more attention there.

i put it on the vag scan the other day and got code 17675 wich is injector number 3 do i get a new injector or a recon injetor are they any good will this solve my problem

No one is going to tell you if an injector will solve the problem, If only it was that simple! :ermm: your fault code is an area to start and requires some investigating : This might help 17675/P1267/004711 - Ross-Tech Wiki . Do you know exactly what work was done on the top end?

no i dont thats the scery thing the bill came to about 600 pounds but the work that was carried out looks ruff to me so far i have changed the injector harness and done the in injector seals. There was a fault for the harness thats why i changed it but that has not come back since the new 1 has been in.

That link makes alot of sence i have some of them prolems like my mgp is terible am only getting 35.2 its ruff at sarting in the morning and kicks out loads of smoke and smells very rich like unbunt fuel. Is there a way of checking the injector to tell if its gone or not.

Have a look at this link , I did a search with that fault code, maybe you could do some of the checks they have done : Audi A4 AVF 1.9TDI PD Rough Idle and 17675 - VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com
Sounds like a fueling fault you have , would explain the bad starting and rough running. Its possible what ever work has been done at the top end has not been done right , like the adjuster on top of the injector, Might be worth taking the rocker cover off and having a look inside especially at the camshaft and followers for any signs of wear

its funny you should say that coz when me and my mate fittied the new injector wiring harness injector nember 3 was set up wrong it was way two high and the top end had been done in 2010 so they was running it like that for two years. i have orderd a recond injector today cost me 216 with 12 mounths grantee so will let you no if this solves it going to fit it this weekend

well ive fitted the new injector and the mpg is about 43.5 around town wich is a massive improvment. I have no engine faults on it now . BUT went to start it up from cold and still the same loads of smoke smells like unburnt fuel and a little bit ruff on idle am fed up with the whole thing now:banghead:
does anybody else have an idea were to go next.
What i have done
new injector harrness + seals
new injector for number 3
checked timing all is well there
new temp sensor
new therm stat.
????????????

Have you checked the tandem pump at the back of the engine under the plastic charge pipe sure someone mentioned this can give rough idle although mine did'nt?? Also i have read somewhere that you can set the idle by vagcom/vcds to make it better or reset throttle flap or something i have'nt a clue about this software so am sure someone will point you in the right direction. I do Know how you feel though mate i bought mine 2 month ago and ive replaced tandem pump,pipes,hoses and now turbo needs replacing this week gonna change the turbo and if anything else goes the cars going even though it does look good broken on the front lol

Wow it sounds like u are having a worse time than me on the car am feeling the same do I throw yet more money in to it or sell it. You said u changed the tandem pump did u get a new 1 or just change the seals I would like no no were u got 1 from cheers

Well me and my mate changed the timing belt coz who ever did it befor made a right mess of it. It was timed out a full tooth and the tensioner was wrong as well . That was all sorted first every thing is right on there now

Did you use the locking tools? And have you checked it with vcds? It could still be out a bit and causing a bit of bother always worth double checking!

Yes we used the locking off tools. Sorry but what is vcds ?
My mate is saying I should advance the timing a bit.?

Ye i think vcds is the new name for vagcom, I'm gutted i nearly bought a new original ross tech cable for vcds the other week for £150 but did'nt bother then the week after paid £45 at a garage to be scanned and scammed lol. I was lucky i got a brand new tandem pump off ebay for a skoda ending in letter E was some confusion whether i could use this letter as a member on here checked part numbers but someone else had fitted one and all was good for less than £150 brand new. I'm just waiting for all my parts to arrive Turbo,Fitting kit,Oil & Filter etc then i'll be fitting Turbo doing coolant flush etc, I got a good deal on ebay someone selling 5 litres of G12++ original vw/audi coolant for £25.95 with p&p.

That will be me that checked numbers for you :)

You do realise you don't have to use g12 don't you?

There is plenty of other coolant's that are to g12 spec at half the price you paid and would have been ideal seen as though you are doing a full flush

Ps you should have got that cable as that was a bargain I have seen a second hand one go for over 200 quid

Well av advanced the timing slitly al c in the morning if it's any better fingers crossed . I am a bit of a noob with audi and vw can I get vcds software to my laptop ? . I am going to give her a full sevice as well what oil / make is the best / grade ?