Q5 HELP PLEASE! Anyone with a UK spec Q5 Tfsie

wwesty

Reaction score
- please can you establish if you can reverse it with the drivers door open? Many thanks!!

Good question, probably an added safety system if yours will not, as most people dont, but I understand the need at times.

So, the reason for asking is that while my wife was using the car, she got out of it (on level ground) and while door was open it moved back, crushing door against a petrol pump!
Impossible for her to be sure after the event exactly what she did and didnt do....

However what she IS sure of is that the door was closed before she opened it, and that the car was moving under power not just rolling in neutral.
My understanding is/was that by opening the drivers door either or both the parking brake should engage, or if in Drive/Reverse it should engage Park...??
I cant test it myself due to the damage to the door!

I haven't used the car for a few days, but will be today. I'll try to remember to test that for you.

Reactions: wwesty
I have a UK-spec 2028 SQ5, so torque converter automatic. I just tried opening the driver’s door whilst slowly reverse parking and the car immediately put itself into neutral and applied the parking brake. Hope that’s helpful.

I have a UK-spec 2028 SQ5, so torque converter automatic. I just tried opening the driver’s door whilst slowly reverse parking and the car immediately put itself into neutral and applied the parking brake. Hope that’s helpful.
Thanks for doing that! This is exactly what I would expect, but I'm being told that we shouldnt expect/rely on it to happen...

Very difficult to do anything when its pretty much impossible to prove what exactly happened... :(

Thanks for doing that! This is exactly what I would expect, but I'm being told that we shouldnt expect/rely on it to happen...

Very difficult to do anything when its pretty much impossible to prove what exactly happened... :(
The only way to be safe is not to rely on that, but always apply the brake manually before opening the door.

if it’s like my last 3 Audis, A6’s and s3, the auto-hold/hill-hold, green parking light, needs to be active or lit up before the handbrake will automatically apply when the drivers door is open.

if it’s like my last 3 Audis, A6’s and s3, the auto-hold/hill-hold, green parking light, needs to be active or lit up before the handbrake will automatically apply when the drivers door is open.
Ah: mine was active.

Ah: mine was active.
on my S5 the parking brake is automatically applied if your reversing and open the drivers door irrespective of whether HHA is activated or not. My old A5 did The same and that didn’t have HHA. Personally i find it a pain