help, please decipher vagcom error codes!

matt5594

Reaction score
any idea what the following vagcom errors are and how to fix, i have a 1999 A3 1.8t sport and did the autoscan (im using 311.2-N):
Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 06A 906 018 AQ
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D04
Coding: 04000
Shop #: WSC 06325
1 Faults Found:
17967 - Throttle Valve Control part (J338): Fault in basic settings
P1559 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

..the other addresses have no fault reported.
thanks!

EDIT: removed other errors as they dont seem to be coming back but the above one still does.

While I am no expert, the only one that I think might be a problem is the temp sensor as these are prone to failure. I would clear the codes and see if they return. The intermittent nature of most of the faults indicate that something happened once or twice and set the codes.

You didn't say your car was misbehaving. So I am assuming all is working well except these codes are stored. Again, I'd clear them and then in a day or two - after some driving, I'd scan again to see if they returned.

-Bruce-
Ross-Tech, LLC
bruce@Ross-Tech.com

right, cleared them all and the only one that came back was:

havent gone for a drive, yet (quickly tried clearing them before heading off to work this morning), but any ideas/suggestions? Connection to the Throttle Valve Control part (J338) has come loose or something basic like that?

cant say i've had the car long enough to know that something is wrong, if i didnt scan it, i wouldnt have thought "ooh wait, the throttle valve control seems a bit off"

Sebastian said:
okay had a read through that, im assuming i have a NDBW car, i did notice this:
There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing a TBA:

No DTC's in the Engine Controller
now whats a DTC? and also
Procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on Cable-Throttle Cars:
These are cars with a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle, but WITHOUT an ISV.
..whats an ISV?

sorry, but im a bit basic with cars :)

Correct, your 1.8T AGU engines uses MVB (Measuring Value Block) 098 for the TBA (Throttle Body Adaptation). Make sure that no DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is stored, the 17967 doesn't matter in this case. ISV means Idle Stabilization Valve.

well i did have another engine DTC but cleared it and it hasnt come back, will take it for a test drive then check it again to be sure.

would my car have a ISV?

i tried the throttle adaptation using vagcom, selected 098 as detailed here http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html --clicked on go then switched to basic settings.

it went from idle, part throttle then errored. for my troubles i've gained another error, see below.
VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 018 AQ
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D04
Software Coding: 04000
Work Shop Code: WSC 06325
2 Faults Found:
P1559 - 35-00 - -
17973 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Lower Stop not Reached
P1565 - 35-00 - -
doh! :/