Help! Rattle.

Rockall

Reaction score
I'm getting a rattle for 20 minutes after cold start at exactly 900rpm. Rattle goes if you raise revs very slightly or they drop slightly under load from heating fan etc. Seems to be coming from driver's footwell / bulkhead. Listen to video. Unfortunately, my Dealer is 400 miles away over land and sea. Any ideas?

I would suggest a Clutch issue. The rattle seems related to a specific Rev therefore a specific vibration.

Vibration = resonance -> rattle

I'm getting a rattle for 20 minutes after cold start at exactly 900rpm. Rattle goes if you raise revs very slightly or they drop slightly under load from heating fan etc. Seems to be coming from driver's footwell / bulkhead. Listen to video. Unfortunately, my Dealer is 400 miles away over land and sea. Any ideas?

I have the same issue. The sound comes from the behind and right of the drivers console. I have yet to take it to the dealer.

Also, I have had my rattle for over half a year now, the rattle has become ongoing (past warm up phase).

The sound is definitely not coming from the transmission as it is heard from quite high up and on the other side of the gearbox.

Check all the fuel pipes clipped against the bulkead, 203132. I might just have found the source of my own rattle, touch wood. Arrowed in the photo are two pipes which disappear down a box section. When I apply pressure to these pipes the frequency and loudness of the rattle changes. I suspect one of these pipes is vibrating off the side of the box section down in the darkness so the next job is to approach from below and see if I can cable tie the pipes together or against some other fitting (they seem securely clipped at the top).
S1 Fuel Pipes Cropa and Annotated

Check all the fuel pipes clipped against the bulkead, 203132. I might just have found the source of my own rattle, touch wood. Arrowed in the photo are two pipes which disappear down a box section. When I apply pressure to these pipes the frequency and loudness of the rattle changes. I suspect one of these pipes is vibrating off the side of the box section down in the darkness so the next job is to approach from below and see if I can cable tie the pipes together or against some other fitting (they seem securely clipped at the top).View attachment 110874

Good stuff. I just had a look as well and yes the black line is indeed right up against the metal box section. I'm going try and find some sort of foam tube fitting to slip on and lock it in place with tape or cable ties. Going to need hands of a 4 year old.

Great investigative work by you guys. Just tried it with a simple cable tie and it has worked a treat, does not sound like a tractor now.Sweet As!

Reactions: Rockall
Great investigative work by you guys. Just tried it with a simple cable tie and it has worked a treat, does not sound like a tractor now.Sweet As!

Awesome! I'm guessing you tied the two cable together?

How great to finally find this thread!! I had a terrible rattle for the last few weeks that made my car sound like a tractor. It was the exact same

How great to finally find this thread!! I had a terrible rattle for the last few weeks that made my car sound like a tractor. It was the exact same fuel line that you attached the photo of. Strangely it is mounted perfectly in its clip but it's very noisy. When I place my hand on the fuel line (with the car running) I can feel the pressure increase and decrease in the line and this change in pressure seems to be consistent with the rattle. I took the plastic engine cover off and it seems that the rattle is also conistant with a noise that's coming from the high pressure fuel pump mounted on the engine. Could the fuel pump itself have a problem? I had the car up on a lift and looked at the fuel lines under the car and there is nothing to be done there. In the meantime I zip tied the fuel line (as illustrated in your photo) to a nearby bracket and that has greatly decreased the noise but I don't like the idea of zip ties on a brand new car. Any ideas?

How great to finally find this thread!! I had a terrible rattle for the last few weeks that made my car sound like a tractor. It was the exact same fuel line that you attached the photo of. Strangely it is mounted perfectly in its clip but it's very noisy. When I place my hand on the fuel line (with the car running) I can feel the pressure increase and decrease in the line and this change in pressure seems to be consistent with the rattle. I took the plastic engine cover off and it seems that the rattle is also conistant with a noise that's coming from the high pressure fuel pump mounted on the engine. Could the fuel pump itself have a problem? I had the car up on a lift and looked at the fuel lines under the car and there is nothing to be done there. In the meantime I zip tied the fuel line (as illustrated in your photo) to a nearby bracket and that has greatly decreased the noise but I don't like the idea of zip ties on a brand new car. Any ideas?
I was thinking of putting a foam lining where it is hitting the side

Now we're getting somewhere, Stig555! I'm also getting a very strong pulse in the pipe from the fuel pump which corresponds with the frequency of the rattle. Looks like the pulse is maybe vibrating the white plastic pipe against the wall of the box section. And as you leave the engine running, the pulsing stops and starts, maybe explaining why some people are reporting an intermittent rattle. Something solid to bash the Dealer over the head with!

Now we're getting somewhere, Stig555! I'm also getting a very strong pulse in the pipe from the fuel pump which corresponds with the frequency of the rattle. Looks like the pulse is maybe vibrating the white plastic pipe against the wall of the box section. And as you leave the engine running, the pulsing stops and starts, maybe explaining why some people are reporting an intermittent rattle. Something solid to bash the Dealer over the head with!

I'm just going to put this out there. I had another person sit in the car while it was rattling. I held the black line and the sound inside the cabin stopped. I held the white line and it still rattled.

If it is the white line for you, that means there is a possibility that both the black and white line are culprits to our problem!

just wanted to update! The problem has been solved. Went to the dealer, that solution was to take off the under tray below the car and wrap the fuel lines below the car with a special spongy kind of wrap. There is a tunnel towards the front of that car in which the fuel lines run. The wrap is put around the fuel lines and pushed through the tunnel. The noise has stopped completely and immediately after this fix.

Reactions: Rockall and 203132
just wanted to update! The problem has been solved. Went to the dealer, that solution was to take off the under tray below the car and wrap the fuel lines below the car with a special spongy kind of wrap. There is a tunnel towards the front of that car in which the fuel lines run. The wrap is put around the fuel lines and pushed through the tunnel. The noise has stopped completely and immediately after this fix.
Nice, sounded like a great plan. Spongy is also lightweight :)

I'm just going to put this out there. I had another person sit in the car while it was rattling. I held the black line and the sound inside the cabin stopped. I held the white line and it still rattled.

If it is the white line for you, that means there is a possibility that both the black and white line are culprits to our problem!

Thanks again, 203132. To be honest, when I looked at this, the engine was hot and there was no rattle (rattle only occurs for 20 minutes after cold start) so I couldn't test which pipe, black or white, was at fault. Just assumed it was the white pipe because it was directly connected to the unit putting out the pulse but could just as easily be the black one. Will check on a cold start.

Great news that Stig555 has found a solution but the pipes should not be vibrating in the first place. I'm going to get some of that self-sealing foam insulation for 10mm pipes that plumbers use and feed it up from the bottom like Stig555's Dealer did.

I've got a rattle coming from the rear, left side I think, not sure if something is loose in the suspension area.

WhatsApp Image 2017 01 30 at 200514

Well, looks like they punch a hole through a piece of foam, disconnected the pipe and pushed it from the top. Pretty smart/lazy as they didn't have to remove the bottom under tray. So far, no vibrations!

Great to have a fix, of sorts, for this annoying rattle, 203132, although there shouldn't be a rattle in the first place. I have my black pipe out of its top mounting bracket and tensioned between two opposing cable ties. No rattle since I did this but I may suggest your 'foam fix' to the Dealer next time I'm in there. Thanks for sharing your solution.