Help required with 2006 A6 fuel gauge issues

decky1968

Reaction score
I have a 2006 A6, 2.0tdi 140,

after fuelling my car last night, the gauge did not move from empty to full despite having put in 60ltrs of diesel,

I have travelled 150 miles today with the warning symbol on and the gauge reading empty...with no performance issues.

is this a common fault?

what is typically the fault?

any fault codes to look for with vag.com?

Thanks in advance,

Strange issue. All I could guess is the fuel sender gauge in the tank is faulty.

Mine has a similar problem, but that's more down to the mpg and a heavy right foot!

Hi, i have a 2005 2.0tdi, was showing empty and 35miles in tank, put 25quid worth of diesel in, when i started car needle didnt move and still showed 35miles left. Pump was definatly dispensing diesel so problem is with car. There was a garage next door and they plugged into it and it said something to do with a solenoid valve on the faults, does anyone have any idea whats wrong with the fuel level reader though?

My 07 3.0TDi Quattro has this problem and it's a weird one

If I have two heavy people in the back it sometimes works (sender units under rear seat)

However I recently deliberately let the car run out of fuel...it took 20 mins of cranking once 15l of diesel added (priming) and then for a week the fuel guage read fine, after a week it went back to it's empty reading :(

So mine looks like a combo of issues

I noticed it happened in mine when my daughter got out of the back, i have since fiddled about with the seat and there was a wire that seamed tp be under the edge of the seat, i pushed this back in and at the next re-fill the needle moved back up. So far the problem hasnt occured again.

This happened to me with my 2005 3.0 TD. Filled up and the gauge went to zero. After that it was intermittent for a while before I got it replaced. I was told " common fault". I also think there are two gauges as it's a saddle shaped tank. So only one has to fail.

What did you get replaced? The guy at the garage was on about some sensor that might need replacing but its attached to a pump and the whole thing needs replacing, wasnt sure if he was trying to rip me off or not.

mine has this issue, it will show empty after a refill, but after a few miles and a restart all is normal

I'm sorry I don't exactly remember as it was a year or so ago and I've passed all the receipts on when I sold it. I'm reptty sure it was just the sender unit and not the pump also. Why would you need a pump if the car still runs? I don't even think it's part of the same system, so I would question that.

I think I have both issues, so the story goes, as its a saddle bag tank there is a lift pump to get the fuel from one side to the other, mine has failed so if I drive with less than half a take I run out of fuel (I ran out of fuel on the way home from collecting it from the garage.....that was a laugh!!) before I got chance to get it fixed the fuel gauge failed & sits on zero......& telling me to refuel.....I was told it was a damaged wire under the rear seat.....Audi, why is it such a common problem....shouldn't you be sorting it for us

Same with my 2008 A6 Avant 3ltr TDI guage - keeps going on the blink, real pain so nee to keep topping up. But then every now and then it starts to work again with no pattern! Audi dealer said it required a complete new tank at a very high cost of course, mostly labour! Does seem like a common problem Audi should look into, but I guess they won't unless they see enough issues through their dealer network, like all other issues! No reaction unless a lawsuit is formed like in the US.