Help required with aftermarket headlights

DylanV6

Reaction score
Hi, I have purchased some aftermarket headlights from Ultimate Styling for my '04 A3 8P.

The design of the bulb holder connection is completely different from OEM, and Im trying to decide whether to return the headlights.

Before I do so, has anyone bought / used these before?

Issue: the only way that the design appears to work is to untighten the 2x screws and then tighten them back over the metal tabs of the bulb holder (after a lot of back and forth Ultimate Styling also confirmed this is correct). HOWEVER, while this is more or less ok for the full beam bulbs, it is near impossible to access for the outer main beam bulbs, while the headlights are in place. I could of course remove the headlights (after removing the bumper cover)
IMG 1549
but I wouldnt want to rely on this method to change a bulb while im out and about.

Hi, I have purchased some aftermarket headlights from Ultimate Styling for my '04 A3 8P.

The design of the bulb holder connection is completely different from OEM, and Im trying to decide whether to return the headlights.

Before I do so, has anyone bought / used these before?

Issue: the only way that the design appears to work is to untighten the 2x screws and then tighten them back over the metal tabs of the bulb holder (after a lot of back and forth Ultimate Styling also confirmed this is correct). HOWEVER, while this is more or less ok for the full beam bulbs, it is near impossible to access for the outer main beam bulbs, while the headlights are in place. I could of course remove the headlights (after removing the bumper cover)View attachment 244027 but I wouldnt want to rely on this method to change a bulb while im out and about.

Hey! Have you ever tried to change a bulb on an A3 while ’out and about’ virtually impossible anywhere,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth having a word with @NHN as he is an electrical Guru plus he might be able to do the work for you if u can manage urself

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hey! Have you ever tried to change a bulb on an A3 while ’out and about’ virtually impossible anywhere,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Abi!

Cant say that I have but if it meant taking the bumper off the car would be getting sold! The OEM fittings are push-fit so I would have thought relative easy to replace anywhere - these ones need the screws loosening/un-loosening each time.

Worth having a word with @NHN as he is an electrical Guru plus he might be able to do the work for you if u can manage urself

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, the work itself is simple with the headlights out, its just getting access to the screws with the headlights in.

Some of the bulbs are a headlight out job unless you have tiny baby like hands.

Some of the bulbs are a headlight out job unless you have tiny baby like hands.
Ok thanks abmat - its things like this that really put me off a car!!! (Anyone want to buy an A3??? :) )

I've never changed a bulb or headlights on my A6 so not sure on that. Ill stick to my Mk1 Golf from now on!