Help, serious problem

bench33

Reaction score
Hi all,

In need of some help quick. Today my 19.tdi started acting very strangely. There seems to be almost no power lower down, to the point where the car keeps stalling in first gear. The turbo only seems to come on boost at 3000 rpm and before then there is absolutely no power at all. This started an hour after I had just driven the car with no problems, its was a short 15 minute run into town, so no big speeds etc involved.
Nothing went bang or snap it just seems to have died.

I had my cambelt and water pump changed on thursday and had a major service. Could this have been a cause of the problem or is that coincidental and I',m, just having serious bad luck ?

Thanks

Alex

possible maf sensor maybe? dunno if they can go suddenly but they do affect low down grunt severely if knackered. hope its not too bad for ya.

Cheers for that. Is the test to unplug it and see if it makes a difference ?

Hi,

Sounds like the MAF to me also although unusual for them to die that suddenly I would check your connector on the top incase it has come loose. The easy way to check is to unplug the maf and drive, if it stays the same then I would say MAF if it gets worse then maybe a stuck egr valve? but thats just a guess, put vagcom on it if you have it?

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow in the light . Does anyone have a diagram or description of where I can find the MAF, still new to the tdi !

cheers

remove the air intake on the left and sticking out the top of the air box you'll see a rubber connector attached to a sort of upside down T shape piece held on by 2 screws. thats your MAF. simple to replace.

Buy a genuine Bosch one, don't be tempted to save £30 odd by getting a copy part.

OK. Just unplugged the MAF. With it unplugged, there is a definite lack of power, feels like the turbo isn't kicking in at all. WIth the MAF plugged in it feels like there's even less power, although the turbo tries to spool up around 3000 rpm, and any power there is is very lumpy. Does this suggest the MAF is the problem or is it something more serious ? Just having major paranoia about the turbo going !

It's got 115k on the clock. Can't get my vagcom to work with the audi, although it did with my golf. Anyone in Manchester able to help out ?

Cheers

Hi all,

In need of some help quick. Today my 19.tdi started acting very strangely. There seems to be almost no power lower down, to the point where the car keeps stalling in first gear. The turbo only seems to come on boost at 3000 rpm and before then there is absolutely no power at all. This started an hour after I had just driven the car with no problems, its was a short 15 minute run into town, so no big speeds etc involved.
Nothing went bang or snap it just seems to have died.

I had my cambelt and water pump changed on thursday and had a major service. Could this have been a cause of the problem or is that coincidental and I',m, just having serious bad luck ?

Thanks

Alex

This is the same basic problem as im having. My thread is here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/111932-ok-so-my-car-has-been-fixed-but.html

Still not fixed as yet.

My problem seems to have sorted itself out ! Booked it into the garage to get it checked out, but two minutes into the journey all the problems went away.
So, I'm going to take it in next week just to be sure there is still no problem, but all's been good for the past few days.
Was wondering if the injectors were very clogged (I almost ran it dry the day before)

Help ! My problem's come back. Exactly the same problem as before except this time I'm pretty sure there's smoke coming out of the exhaust now. Anyone have any thoughts ?

Cheers