Help!! Wheel fitment

cnahamilton

Reaction score
Hi there, sorry if this has already been answered but i cant find the answer im looking for. I want to get a new set of wheels for my S3. From what i gather the standard wheels are have a center bore of 57.1 and a et50 offset. I have found a few different sets which I like and have a et45 and a CB of 73.1. Another set has an et45 and a CB of 66.6.
In a nutshell will they fit?? Do I need to worry about the center bore and offset so much?? Sorry if this is a stupid question, thanks for your help.
Chris

The centre bore will be takes care of spiggot rings that fill the gap on the hub.
I really can't see 5mm being a problem, but the width of the wheels need to be know to

spigot rings can be bought for a few quid to fill in the centre bore difference

standard S3 alloys I've seen have an offset of 56 which would "suggest" they sit really far in the arches, however they're 7.5" wide so they don't cause issues whereas an et45 alloy (off say an a4 or a8) tends to be an 8" wide wheel, as are most replica alloys made for the A3.. ET 45 looks very good in the arches ;)

oh right i see, thats great. So i take it if the Cb is bigger i have to get spigot rings to suit?? Am i right in saying they just keep the wheel central on the hub?

without the spigot rings, its JUST the 5 bolts holding the wheel in place... not at all safe :)

Assuming that the new wheels are the same width as the standard wheels (8J for example) the outer edge of the new wheels would sit 5mm further out on the axle so you would need to be sure the top of your arches will still be wider than the wheels or it's an MOT fail. It's not likely to be a fail in this case, given it's only a 5mm difference on each side.
If however the width of the wheel changes by 0.5 inches from say 8J to 8.5J the wheels would sit 11.4mm further out than before which may be more of an issue.

Thank you all for your help!! I decided to take the plunge and buy some new wheels :) same size but 8j on a 45 offset. Gives it a really nice stance and fill puts the arches beautifully. Again thank you all. I will add a pic when the light is better :)