Help with engine choice

Johnapple

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m considering purchasing an Audi A1, however have a few questions.
There are two which we have narrowed it down too. Both are registered in 2014 and both are 1.4 TSFI.

One has 122 bhp (£130 road tax) the other having 138bhp (£20 road tax).

Which one would you recommend and why? Which engine is more reliable?

Are they both chain driven or belt? And is one better than the other.

Finally one is s-line and the other is sport with more features. But I feel like s-line is worth it for the aesthetics

With cars of that age there are many factors beyond just engine. Do check the turbos as there are some reports of failures at this age.

That said the 138 PS engine is more advanced and much better and also has cylinder on demand. Very reliable too. Remarkably economical for the engine power. Later updated to 148 PS also with COD. These use a belt and not chain.

Around 2013-2014 the 138 PS cars (at least in A3s so I assume A1 also) had a metallic rattle from the turbo wastgate actuator which was fixed by dealers adding a clip to stop it vibrating. All cars should have had this done by now.

The 125 engine is a bit flat and doesn’t pull as well.

Sport vs S-Line is personal choice, though by default the S-Line came with more gadgets as standard, as well as sportier bodywork, but depends how far the original owner dived into the options list.

Audi update their models each summer, so one built after June 2014 will have some extras (likely 64 plate) compared to a 63/14 plate.

The basic sound system is indeed ‘basic’ - depending on how important audio quality is to you. Do check the car you want can receive DAB radio.

Last edited: