Help with my colour choice!!!

What car magazines do you read?

• Total voters
err...thats Akoya Silver. Avus is the plain silver. Akoya is darker with a hint of purple.

[ QUOTE ]
err...thats Akoya Silver. Avus is the plain silver. Akoya is darker with a hint of purple.

[/ QUOTE ]

err....metallic silver is the "plain" silver....avus, which has a sort of blue pearlescent colour to it, is a special colour for the s-line!

black - cars always look cool in black (and aren't that hard to clean!)

Choice of colour makes a huge difference to the look of the new snout.

Mine is Lava Grey - brill colour but the chrome surrounds on the snout really stand out and make the car look like a Yankee luxo-barge that shrunk in the wash.

Silver may be a more commonplace colour, but I think it hides the chrome and makes the front of the car look more aggressive. If I could choose again I'd take Silver.

[ QUOTE ]
Choice of colour makes a huge difference to the look of the new snout.

Mine is Lava Grey - brill colour but the chrome surrounds on the snout really stand out and make the car look like a Yankee luxo-barge that shrunk in the wash.

Silver may be a more commonplace colour, but I think it hides the chrome and makes the front of the car look more aggressive. If I could choose again I'd take Silver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree - that's why I changed my order from black to silver. Having said that, I'm getting more used to the new grill and it looks much better on black than I expected (just look at mark88's new A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif). I really liked the A3 (8P) pre-facelift but now think they're starting to look dated (from the front at least).

Oh and Stratos - I voted Avus... I think it looks really great on the Sportback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Sorry to be anal about it but that image is Akoya silver - I know because its the same as mine. Avus is standard silver and there is also 'Liquid Blue' which is like the standard but with a hint of blue. Don't think any of these is specific to s-line either as they can be configured on the base model at the standard price.

Hmmm, I always thought Akoya had more of a purple tint to it??? Anyway Avus is certainly not standard - Metallic Silver is the standard silver and is much lighter than Avus. Here's some pics I found on Audi's used car section:

Edit = Changed to links as the pics weren't showing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Metallic Silver

Avus Silver

Akoya Silver

Normal...

020__scaled_600.jpg

Akoya...

DSCN3901_800.jpg

Avus....

Sportback%20avus.JPG

And please, the previous Avus sportback is Cupramax's and it is avus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif (unless he was told it was avus instead of Akoya). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I called in to my dealers the other day he had quite a number of second-hand A3s and Sportbacks for sale. You could choose from various models but your colour choice was limit to black, black or black!

I like Red. I think most of the colours look good, you put S-Line and Votex on any current A3(apart from a couple of colours) and you will get looks as you drive past. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be anal about it but that image is Akoya silver - I know because its the same as mine. Avus is standard silver and there is also 'Liquid Blue' which is like the standard but with a hint of blue. Don't think any of these is specific to s-line either as they can be configured on the base model at the standard price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Avus is not standard silver. There are 3 different colours, Silver, Akoya and Avus. Silver is what it says, I have it and spent a long time comparing it to Akoya and even had a line up of 3 cars, one in each colour. Akoya is a bluey\purple with a hint of pink in bright light. Avus is similar but darker, more grey\blue with no hint of pink. Neither could be confused with pure silver. Avus is usually only available on S Lines.

Liquid Blue is awful imho, like a duck egg blue, test drove one! Not a hint of silver in it.

I only like the sportback in dolphin, black and maybe lava.
I think Akoya and Avus are nothing colours! (I had an Akoya btw so I can say that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )
Silver is OK but it just screams safe.

I really don't think the new grille suits the lighter colours at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Sprint Blue 8P

sprintblue.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's what i'm talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

Thought I would add mine into the mix. Brilliant Red for me. Sportback 3.2 Sline. Personal preference and I know many people are dead against it, but I love it and it stands out from the queues of silver, blue and black ones around (not just A3s, pretty much every car on the road these days). Always looks clean even after a week of some filthy London rain too.

Did think about Avus Silver though (the greyish sliver one available on S lines only) as it does look good in my opinion.

Be gentle with me.....

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
No one fancy red then

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted a Sportback S-line in Misano Red but the missus banned it saying it would attract the wrong sort of attention.

She insisted I go for Ebony Black ... I'm sure she knew this meant I'd end up washing it every pigging weekend.

Never seen that Sprint Blue colour before .........£1500 by any chance?

[ QUOTE ]
SB1.jpg
Yes.
I wish my car was still that clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think this is the favourite so far.
Dark enough but not "Forever Cleaning Black"
No big contrast in the roof/bodywork and lovely Al. roof rails. Could be a winner.....but then again that Avus is very nice!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Avus is not standard silver. There are 3 different colours, Silver, Akoya and Avus. Silver is what it says, I have it and spent a long time comparing it to Akoya and even had a line up of 3 cars, one in each colour. Akoya is a bluey\purple with a hint of pink in bright light. Avus is similar but darker, more grey\blue with no hint of pink. Neither could be confused with pure silver. Avus is usually only available on S Lines.

Liquid Blue is awful imho, like a duck egg blue, test drove one! Not a hint of silver in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected, having now seen them all in line-up. Had never seen that additional (Avus) before but its really similar to Akoya (which has more purple when the light hits it). I'd just assumed that to be Akoya as it looks like it, therefore 2+2=5, Avus must be standard.

Apologies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

If your thinking about getting Lava grey, then here is an interesting thread from a while back.....

press

Look for the attachments for pics.

I went from a brilliant black audi to a lava grey one. The black was a real badger to keep clean. The pearlescent paint makes a huge difference - allows the light to shine through the dirt....I only clean my car every few months or so now.

pearl paint didn't make diddly squat difference to how my audi looked. My 3 series was flat black and looked as dirty as my audi with ebony. Dealers gave me the blag about how much better met paint is on trade in... but did it make any difference come trade in time... did it fuk!

[ QUOTE ]
I went from a brilliant black audi to a lava grey one. The black was a real badger to keep clean. The pearlescent paint makes a huge difference - allows the light to shine through the dirt....I only clean my car every few months or so now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this your car, or a company car that you let rott for months before you clean it?

[ QUOTE ]
If your thinking about getting Lava grey, then here is an interesting thread from a while back.....

[/ QUOTE ]

TDI-Line,

Thanks for that.. Def pushing towards that way . Just gotta sort out the cash to buy one now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

YEP ..That looks like the colour for me..

Stage 2 ....Convince the wife !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif (she wants Moro Blue)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TDI-Line,

Thanks for that.. Def pushing towards that way . Just gotta sort out the cash to buy one now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem,

Colour is a very personal choice, and needs to be just right if you are to enjoy the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif