Help with Oil please

Kuljit Singh

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am new to the forum. I have a 2015 Audi A3 1.4tfsi 150bhp manual. I checked my oil today and the dipstick is quite close to the low mark. The car had a oil change last June 2018 on a 2 year service plan by last owner and oil change is now due next June 2020.

I wanted some advice on topping up the oil. Which grade oil will i need to top it up? I want to use the same grade but am not sure what oil is used when a 2 year service plan is carried out.

I have this oil from my last car, will it be okay to use for a top up? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190621_205718.jpg
    20190621_205718.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 346
5W-30 should be the correct grade and any oil of this grade would be acceptable for emergency topping up, but the oil should be the correct approved VW spec which is currently 507 or the older 504.
Just out of curiosity how many miles has your car covered in the past year since its last oil change?
To my mind 2 years is too long between oil changes despite what the official schedule says.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Kuljit Singh
I echo what @Ron240 said, 2 years in my mind always seem too long so my local independent does a mini service for me and sorts the oil
5W-30 I believe is the current recommended oil, least it was for my S3 and S5, not sure on an older A3 unfortunately but you can check on the oil manufacturers site such as Castrol to see what is recommended

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kuljit Singh
Thanks for the reply. @Ron240 The car has covered about 9k since last oil change. When checking the oil from the dipstick it still looks quite clean and its not gone black. So the oil i have posted in the message, that should be fine for a top up? Thanks

If only doing 9k per year your car really should be on fixed annual servicing instead of variable.
Just to be clear on the oil.....pretty much any grade would be ok to top in an emergency situation because any oil is better than no oil. The oil you have is the correct 5W-30 grade so that is better, but it also should be the approved VW spec.
Bottom to top level on the dipstick should be around 1 litre of oil.
Castrol is a popular and Audi recommended brand, and like Adam said you can go on their website and input your reg and it will give you the correct oil to use.
Personally if I was you I would prefer to have a full oil and filter change.

Reactions: Kuljit Singh and Adam14
Thanks for the advice, i will certainly top it up. However just wondering if i had a yearly oil change, then how would the mmi change the oil change mileage/date to 12 months rather than 24 months? Thanks

Thanks for the advice, i will certainly top it up. However just wondering if i had a yearly oil change, then how would the mmi change the oil change mileage/date to 12 months rather than 24 months? Thanks
It would be done through VCDS/Coding essentially mate. Which gets reset each service/oil change

Would Carista be able to change the service oil/inspection schedule to yearly/10k?
The service interval reminder is just that - a reminder.

As long as you remember yourself, you don't really need the car to remember for you.

And you can use Carista to reset both the oil change and the inspection service, FWIW.

Although if you exceed your oil service interval by more than 1,000 miles then pretty sure Audi have grounds to refuse warranty work in relation to engine components etc

Although if you exceed your oil service interval by more than 1,000 miles then pretty sure Audi have grounds to refuse warranty work in relation to engine components etc
But you won't exceed it if you remember not to.

Sheesh...

In this age of smartphones, satnav, Facebook, Tinder and Love Island have people forgotten how to remember stuff?

Yours faithfully

Victorian Dad

Reactions: TonkS3, Matt Titanium, Kuljit Singh and 3 others
But you won't exceed it if you remember not to.

Sheesh...

In this age of smartphones, satnav, Facebook, Tinder and Love Island have people forgotten how to remember stuff?

Yours faithfully

Victorian Dad

Wasn't my point, but sure have a go at me Was merely saying the facts.

Well thanks for the replies. Car is out of warranty anyway. Will get oil and filter changed on next service. And get light resetted. Cheers

Just for knowlege. Can anyone tell me how many litres of oil i would need to buy for an oil and filter change? For the 1.4tsi 150bhp cod manual petrol engine please?

Also, to remove the old oil on this car, can you do it the traditional way by removing under tray and undoing the nut, or do you need a oil suction machine to suck out the old oil?

Thanks

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, when my S3 went in for a service at my local Audi (Hamilton) recently, they put in 0W-30, VW 507/504 oil and reset the service interval so it shows needing being done in a year.

Im aware of the oil grades needed. Just need to know how many Litres required for a fresh oil and filter change?

and whether the old oil can be removed the traditional way by undoing the nut below the the under tray or its needs to be suction out?

Can't tell you how much oil is needed (I've got a feeling it's around 5.5 litres but not sure if I'm making that up!) but you can drain it the traditional way from under the car.

Just for knowlege. Can anyone tell me how many litres of oil i would need to buy for an oil and filter change? For the 1.4tsi 150bhp cod manual petrol engine please?
Also, to remove the old oil on this car, can you do it the traditional way by removing under tray and undoing the nut, or do you need a oil suction machine to suck out the old oil?
I assumed this information would have been listed in the handbook because it has been with previous makes I've owned....but it is not in mine so maybe Audi doesn't want owners carrying out this type of work themselves. ;)
I googled it and 4 litres is coming up, so that being the case I would buy a 4 litre container plus a litre for topping up purposes.
Or if you can get a 5 litre container even better. :)

I found oil capacity of 4.5 litres online for A3, 5.7 litres for S3

Just did my oil & filter change last weekend (1.4 TFSI 140PS).
Drained the oil from underneath, fitted new sump plug and refilled with 3.75L of Castrol 5W-30. This bought the oil level to a fraction above halfway up the dipstick.

Thanks

4.5l. I sucked it out the dipstick hole, and even with a filter change it took a little under 4l to refill it to top dipstick mark. I guess the extraction method doesn't/didn't get it all out. Not worried, as this was a 1yr 'gratuitous' oil change as the car is on extended service plan (as far as Audi records are concerned)

Got oil change done. Approx 4.5L went back in. Thanks again guys for the input.

Reactions: Fatbloke, Adam14 and Ron240
I'm surprised you got so much in, did you do it yourself or were you told what was put in?
I've changed my oil and filter 6 or 7 times now and have only ever managed to get just under 4L in, despite draining it from underneath. This brings the oil level to just over half-way up the dipstick.
Maybe the 150 model is different to the 140 (different shape sump for maybe).

Last edited:
Do you have a reference for that? Would not be good to put the wrong oil in the engine!

E.g.

https://applications.castrol.com/oi...2012-)&modelType=a3-1-4-tfsi-(110-kw)-(2014-)

0w-30 or 0w-40 are options (that don't support flexible service intervals) and first recommendation is the 5w-30
Scroll down to Engine spec chart at bottom of the link.
http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=117

The situation is not made clear as to the specific viscosity required. The owners manual does not advise and nothing is under the bonnet. I had 1L of 5w-30 to use but when I made enquiries at time of purchase with local oil suppliers they came back with the 0w-20

Colin

Last edited:
Scroll down to Engine spec chart at bottom of the link.
http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=117

Colin

That's the 1.5 engine, not the 1.4 150 (the subject of this post). I suggest nobody puts 0w-20 in their 1.4...

If that's a site you trust, this is probably the correct link
http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=116
But that site seems to claim that oil capacity is 3.8l, so not sure if they make mistakes/their data is reliable, or it's the wrong page.

Last edited:
@SDB

I got a mate to do it. He left the oil to drain out about 30mins then put the new one in. 4.5l got the dipstick slightly above the max line. But when i checked it the next day in the morning, it was dead on the max line.

Yeah good idea, I leave mine to drain while I do the oil, air and pollen filters.
4.5L for just above max sounds right as my 3.75L gets me to halfway. Min to max is about 1L, if I remember correctly.

What sump plug does it have? Is it the same as 1.5 tfsi? How easy is it to take of the bottom belly pan

Dunno, I just suck it out the dipstick tube with one of these

41g8IEEQypL.jpg

Perhaps not as 'complete' as using the sump plug, but the same approach used by Audi dealers as far as I know. I also use the long-life up-to-two-yeras variable service oil and change it yearly. So both these considered, I'm not worried if there's a little old oil left behind when I "drain" it. Still have to take the bottom tray off (just lots of torx screws and it drops down) to get to the oil filter, but overall still less faff and mess... You will need to get the car up, say on ramps, though. PITA, as some engines have the filter accessible from the top.

It's a pain, If I was raising it off the ground to get to the filter I was going to drain it with the plug, otherwise you could do it all from the top,like the older engine.
What size torque screws are they

I had 1L of 5w-30 to use but when I made enquiries at time of purchase with local oil suppliers they came back with the 0w-20
I'd have been inclined to use it. Both the Opie and Castrol websites recommend 5W-30 for your engine.