help with rear main oil seal please

PARKER

Reaction score
i tried fitting my new flywheel and clutch to my 1.8t this weekend and was advised to replace the rear seal. i bought a new one from the main dealer along with a gasket. it comes as a complete housing. The new one is a slightly different design to the old one. first drive up the road and engine oil is pouring out the box.so everything back off-the oil seems to leak from the seal part in the middle which doesnt look like a tight enough fit to seal. also the gasket seems a bad fit against the rubber seal of the housing. i tried it without the gasket but it still leaked out. anyone have any ideas? thanks.

What engine do you have fitted, and what part number did they supply you?

Kudos to you for DIY ing it tho

sump off?
how did you aliogn it with the crank?

APU engine.
i didnt take the sump off. do i need to? it came with a white plastic fitting tool to locate it. i took it back to vw this morning and they say it is the correct part and they wont refund me!

All sorted now. Really gutted that after a weekend under my car i still had to pay someone to do it yesterday as i had to go to work. The new seal that they got from somewhere else was different to the one that i got but i didnt get a chance to see it before it went on and the original got binned so not a lot i can do really. My local dealer was very unhelpfull.
I will get used to the new set up and start a new post for anyone wanting another opinion on the custom flywheel and S4 clutch set up.
Thanks for the help offered.

Typical ******* garage.

You should have asked for the old seal back, clearly it wasnt right, so i'd have been wanting to take it back and ram it down the Audi dealers throat, but in typical fashion the garage has gone and chucked it.

In future, ask the garage for ALL the old parts to be placed in the boot. That way you know for sure they have been changed, and have the old parts to either return if faulty or analyse to see why they failed.

I will get used to the new set up and start a new post for anyone wanting another opinion on the custom flywheel and S4 clutch set up.
Thanks for the help offered.

Out of interest, where did you get your flywheel?

Ah! Didn't make the connection with your name and Parker.