hi all,new tuned s4 just joined- few questions

turbo-gg

Reaction score
hi, just left the vr6 scene, and got myself an s4 avant, tuned by aps who also fitted a full miltek system at a cost of £3199 (glad is wasnt me).
anyway a few questions.
1, is standard suspension as scary as it was on my vr6`s cos it really is boingy boingy through the country lanes where i live.
2, boost seems to drop away once oil temp gets to its mark. had both lambda`s re-newed and temp sensor,which where the codes shown on vagcom.
3,whats with the radio volume pmsl
4,and is it only me with a squeeky dash or is it common
thankyou in advance for any replies
gary

Last edited:
1. Suspension isnt to bad you could throw some eibach pro springs on to drop it and stiffen the ride up a little bit and retain the audi driving comfort.

2. You replaced with genuine parts ?? Boost leak test is your best bet and renewing old perished vac lines and diverter valves.

3. Common problem get a decent aftermarket unit the concert isnt worth a toss.

4 squeeky dash mine seems to do it every now and then but i live with it common place is the drivers knee bolster under the steering wheel near the centre console.

Hope that helps.

thanks for that Bradderz,
does anyone know the split between front/rear power ?
its just slid sideways a few times and i still cant get the gist of if the f/r goes first,seems like grip,grip,grip then sheet of ice????
liking the earlier power of the audi over my old vr6 turbo`s, had to use a big gt35r/1.06, and had to get some good speed up before flooring it and 440hp/433tqe came all at once and span those poor front r888`s ,bless em the tried their best :)
the best 4wd system in the world (four rings) really really makes a difference to me. actually getting power down and no loss to poor traction. loving it.
only other issue is first gear from a standstill if gently pulling away,a fair whir from g/box any idea`s ???
again thanks
gary

its 50:50 while it has grip.

If an end loses traction then it can go upto 66:33 towards the end that has more grip.

4WD cars do tend to be a bit more snappy on the limit, mainly because you can push them quite a bit harder before they get to the limit. Typically the B5 will just understeer when pushed hard if its still on its standard suspension, an upgraded rear ARB will help reduce the understeer.

I've had the back step out once, and it was in very low grip conditions (slushy snow) the car started to understeer, and i kept the power on, and the next i know i'm sideways. I suspect what happens, is the centre diff detects the loss of front end grip, and shoves as much power as it can to the rear in an attempt to correct it, but this lump of power appearing at the rear tyres then makes the back end step out.

Hi Gary, welcome to ASN. Post some pics of the car. Enjoy the forum. :)

@ Aragorn . :) thanks for that, i had a 4mo golf for a few months (my last car) and pretty much the same as the fwd golfs they just wipe out on the front if over doing it, which i have had lots of experience of happening (fwd golfs for last 11yrs) :) lol
but this estate just has loads then none and saying sheet of ice after loads of grip really explains it well. complete side swipe,heart rate increase,ring tightens,bit of jiggling the wheel then finally PHEW!
maybe i simply try to get through r/bouts too quickly :)
@ Sandra pics soon, when/if it ever stops raining

really scary moment last night in the wet, going to get some low profiles and see if that does anything. is the quattro system really that skittish or am i expecting too much ????

what tyres are you using? linglong runway superstar ditchfinder 6000's ?

sort the suspension (new bushes all round, the ones on there are most likley original, or motorfactors trash) and fit proper tyres. (Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 2's!) then see how it feels.

an uprated rear antiroll bar (Nuespeed 19mm bar works very well) will reduce the understeer and improve turn in feel.

another thing to note is that your not in a 1200kg golf anymore, rather a 1700kg barge, its not going to be anywhere near as chuckable as a little FWD hatch.

thanks craig,
i must point out that i mean when pushing it a bit, normal driving is ok but still a little springy for me, i was trying to see if anyone else thinks the same on the edge, grip then none at all.
ps found it hard not to go to springfest and bash up my old vr6 lot :) :) :)