Hibiscus Red TQS - New Car, New Project, cars been here before though.

midas

Big day ahead tomorrow.........collecting Recaro interior, collecting replacement lumbar for drivers seat, plus collect an RS4 grille.

Something to mull over tonight and on the journey down. Guys got a set of OEM Valeo factory Xenons I can have. Not sure if this is good, or just inheriting a headache. From what I can see, they will work (ie switch on and off) straight away, but with no levelling at all. Converting the manual levelling from Auto levelling looks a pain. So I’m unsure wether to get them, or leave them.

midas

Hope this all fits in as researched

CB5EC619-9645-46F3-BA86-9E8EF9DC9886.jpeg
7073B74B-25FD-4100-8C5A-33AFC8860CBF.jpeg

CQ20V

Trim looks in good nick - what model was it out of RS4? As for headlamps - yes a lot of hassle to make them legal and insurance friendly should you have an RTA. With the improvement in halogen bulbs id stick with standard lamps and upgrade the bulbs. Spend the cash saved on other maintenance/upgrades. Hows the thumb?

midas

Thumbs better, healing well. The trim is out of an S4, no RS4 logs. Plus it’s saloon specific too, so fits straight in.

Biiiiiiiiiig day today. I fitted the trim, whilst also assisting my mate do the timing belt, water pump, auxiliary belts and tensioners, oil pump, sump pan, oil level sensor, crank oil seal, together with all new bolts, new bottom balancer pulley, new bottom timing sprocket, plus new thermostat and radiator. And breath...................

midas

Trim is in, all 4 door cards with carbon trim swapped over. Plug and play front seals. Rear seats were easy once I figured out how the split centres came out.
Figured out why my stereo sounds rubbish too. Somebody has removed the original woofers, and replaced with some really scabby co-axials. Not good. I’ve not even bothered putting front speakers back in. The good news is, I’ve already got speaker adapters. Just need to buy some decent quality components now, and replace everything and start again.
Really happy with these seats, really comfortable.

6AA9E68C-45C6-404F-A795-D785888510DA.jpeg
07182598-7DD0-4E6E-B57A-235B26071E1A.jpeg
C94EACCA-6E6B-4290-B0BD-E4E48AC12530.jpeg

midas

Stripped the front off the car, then got cracking removing the timing components.
I bought a tool that would hold the bottom sprocket still whilst we swung on a scaffold pole to undo the bottom crank bolt. But.......my mate got hold of my ‘big boy’ M18 gun out, and with one strike, the bolts was out. No need for my tool then. Once the crank seal was out and the journal cleaned, the new crank seal was installed using the installation tool I bought from ECS Tuning in the states. Timing belts and pulleys etc all installed, spun the engine over twice, all marks lined up. Great, now time for the hard part.
Sooooo, all front engine mount bolts removed, rear trans mount nuts loosed to the last threads. A jack was put underneath the a/c compressor housing and the engine was lifted up until the gearbox pretty much hit the firewall. The engine mount console was then removed from the engine block. All bolts removed from the sump (that sounds really easy but it’s not) and the sump comes away with a light hammer tap. Removal of the baffle, then realise that the oil pump still won’t drop down as it hits the subframe. Solution, I bolts the lower half of the oil pump from the upper half, and drops straight out. Reinstall action is a reversal of removal. (I say this tongue in cheek, as anybody who has done this job knows it is not that simple.)

The oil pickup didn’t look as bad as I expected at first glance, but on closer inspection, was not in great shape. Glad it was changed.
I’ll attach some images in my next post.

midas

my apologies one of the images has rotated 90 degrees, it wouldn’t turn the correct way.

The only 2 bad things that occurred, were when we jacked the gone up, we managed to break one of the temp sensor clips on the bulkhead. I’ll order one from VW tomorrow.
The other bad thing.................when trying to get my seats out of the car, I heard and felt a popping sound in my right lower leg. After investigation it turns out of pulled my calf muscle. The pain........I honestly thought I’d torn it. I’m now limping around the house. Definatly no car jobs for the foreseeable until this has healed.
Drove the car home, and guess what..........the oil pressure light is still on. I think the oil pressure switch could now be contaminated and faulty. So I’ll have to change that over the weekend, then that really is it for me, until I’m healed.

Finishing on a better note though, I also got an RS4 Genuine grille off the guy I bought the seats from. Well happy, looks great. Really wants the Quattro badge on the grille though.

5C342D5D-ECA2-45E1-B098-54E206FD9F9B.jpeg

CQ20V

Great work. All i can say is that this car is going to be the end of you with all the injuries! LOL. Yes pick up pipe does look somewhat clogged. Peace of mind for you now though with oil pump and belt changes all done. Keep up the good work.

midas

Hmmmm, would you believe the oil pressure light is still coming on. Journey home was just a dismay for me.

Also, because we cracked the plastic temp sender clip when the engine was jacked up, this failed on the way home also, so coolant just ejected itself. It was only a 5 mile journey Luckily. So at work on Monday, I’ll source 2 clips, plus the bung and rubber seal that got ejected also. I’ll fit those, plus a new oil pressure sender. I’ve got a funny suspicion there’s a wiring fault to the sender somehow. I have read about this on another forum.

In any case, I’m glad this job was completed as I know this is no longer part of the problem. I’m awaiting a Oil Pressure Test Gauge this week too. When we’re back up and running going to conduct some tests. I expect them to be inline with manufacturer specs hopefully, which will point towards a wiring fault. We shall see.

Currently looking at component speakers for the front, to replace the horrendous coaxial I found in my door panels.

Got a oil pressure sensor adapter today, plus my turbo boost t-piece arrived on Friday. So I’ll order my dual function gauge in the next week too.