High beam assist...did anyone actually manage to activate it retro style?

SmileyS3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know that there have been numerous threads on this but after reading them, I'm none the wiser. So, I was just wondering if anyone actually managed to activate High beam assist even though it was not ordered on the car?
On the Audi configurator, it says that 'High beam assist is only available with auto dimming mirror or comfort package..'

I have the comfort package so was wondering if it's just a matter of software?

Yeah, I know I should have just added it for £100...but I forgot...lol

Pretty sure it requires the camera that is attached to the back of the rear view mirror..might be talking rubbish though so happy to be corrected.

Think the camera comes with the Lane Change Assist option.

Reactions: SmileyS3
HBA and Lane change assist may well use the same camera, but you don't need LCA to have HBA.

I have HBA and I think it's really good and worth the £100. But I'm not sure that it's worth jumping through too many hoops for to retro-fit.

Reactions: SmileyS3
Both correct.

If you have lane assist (LA) then high beam assist (HBA) uses the same camera. Had that on my Leon and also activated HBA on my mates Octavia that came with LA.

If you have HBA and not LA then the camera is integrated into the interior rear view mirror. Can't find the thread now but there were lots of pictures of this and part numbers for the mirror is I remember correctly. Seemed like a fairly straight forward retrofit plus some coding needed but not 100% sure if anyone has actually done this. Someone on here has added auto lights, rain sensor and dimming mirror so could well have added HBA at the same time?

Reactions: Wondering Soul
I think the standard High Beam assist uses just a light sensor of some kind, whereas the Lane Assist and Variable Range Headlights (different from the HBA) use the camera. Important to differentiate between the 2 options!

If it is just a light sensor it's damn sophisticated. It detects headlights coming over the brow of a hill, I would say half a mile away, when everything else is dark.

Thanks guys...I wish I had ticked that box for £100 Doh!
Looks like I'll just have to make do without it..

If it is just a light sensor it's damn sophisticated. It detects headlights coming over the brow of a hill, I would say half a mile away, when everything else is dark.

Yep, perhaps quite a directional one, I don't know. It's different from the camera for lane assist/variable range headlights though, which must be for a reason. If they were both cameras I would have thought it would be cheaper for them to just pick one and stick to it!

I think it's all down to the bean counters. The LA camera requires a different windshield with additional attachment and a larger blackout print - also an extra piece of interior trim :-

4Bne46tb

9lYQ8DbD

With just the HBA camera it's all self contained within the interior mirror :-

XpJdKWmr

P2JGoOci

Which is why a retro fit shouldn't be too difficult !

My personal experience of both systems is that the LA camera is just slightly quicker to react.

I think the LA camera uses more sophisticated tech as on the Leon and Octavia at least you can code it for road sign recognition.

Yes HBA as above does use a camera, not a light sensor.