hill hold

nig63

Reaction score
Am i right in thinking this comes as standard on the new s3 if so mines not working or is it possible to turn it off and on .

Yeah not standard....

When I got my S3 the dealer did not know how to use it or if my car actually had it, so I got it free.....

It says its standard on the Audi website . Sorry ignore me think i'm seeing things .

More to the point is this function retrofittable?

Standard on mine. Called a handbrake.

Reactions: david173
I have it, I didn't spec it as an option, but mine is stronic/DSG. maybe that's why.

The only mention of hill-hold in the brochure is for the extra 'parking assist' option.

It's now standard on all models with an S-tronic gearbox. The last listing of it as an option was in the March 2008 Pricing and Specification Guide. By the time the next issue came out in June 2008 it was no longer listed so I assume it became standard for the 2009 Model Year (which began in June 2008)

i think it does? :S
im sure i saw it has an extra option on a manual gearbox on the audi config ages ago

The one for a manual gearbox is called a handbrake!!!

I am not sure if MY10 STronic cars have Hill Hold, I have ordered mine however no build date as yet.

I had a 2008 Passat DSG with Hill Hold, the way it worked was when you engaged the function by pressing a button in the centre console the car would function normally when driving when you stopped it would automatically engage the brake. Allowing you to keep the car in drive and as soon as you put your foot on the accelerator the car would move forward. I have never seen this feature on a manual.

I'm sure it's standard on all S-tronic A3s now. Certainly my 2009 MY A3 has it and I did not order it as an option. If fact it is no longer listed as an option.

The description in the Owners Manual reads:

Driving away on a slope

The system is activated when you press and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds.

When you release the brake pedal the braking force will be maintained for a momemnt in order to hold the vehicle and make it easier for your to drive away.

As it seems to purely involve the braking system I see no reason why it cannot be fitted to a manual as well as an s-tronic.

Perhaps someone with a manual can check to see if their car has it fitted.

I'm sure it's standard on all S-tronic A3s now. Certainly my 2009 MY A3 has it and I did not order it as an option. If fact it is no longer listed as an option.

The description in the Owners Manual reads:

Driving away on a slope

The system is activated when you press and hold the brake pedal for a few seconds.

When you release the brake pedal the braking force will be maintained for a momemnt in order to hold the vehicle and make it easier for your to drive away.

As it seems to purely involve the braking system I see no reason why it cannot be fitted to a manual as well as an s-tronic.

Perhaps someone with a manual can check to see if their car has it fitted.

Yes I was looking this up the other day when this came up - the section you've taken that from doesn't relate to S-Tronic so it seems to suggest it is functionality for all types of A3.

As you say - maybe someone with MY09 manual could see if this does work.

yeah mine has it.. as mentioned above.. it was a 70quid option... my car is manual