Hmm dodgy buyer perhaps?

Sheikh

Reaction score
Basically put my car on gumtree and i got a response from a guy who seems slighly dodgy?

He text me from an offshore number asking me to e-mail him.
After telling him the price of the car? He didnt seem to already know this.

I got this:

'Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I
am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can only pay through
paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i
dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my
paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all
i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments, and if
you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one it cant take you
less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l
can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after
payments has been sorted, l will be waiting for your reply asap..'

Seem a bit sketchy at all? dont really want to be taking paypal because there seller protection is pants.

Any ideas?

A quick google of the guys e-mail address reveals he is in fact a scam artist.

sounds like the guy that bez had a couple of months ago on ebay

First line gives it away as a scam. "I'm at sea right now" - "I'm out of the country", anything like that is a scam.

Mate definitely a scam, had the same bloke message me through eBay about cruise control.

He sent this:

Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactly amount you want to sell it,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Andrew.

Followed by this:

Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my son as his birthday gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore in UK and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. In case if you will want to call me to talk to me on phone you can easily call me on this number +447024041070. I really want this item to be a surprise gift for my son so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up immediately you have receive the payment in full.what is your final price including the paypal charges?.

Now how do you surprise someone with cruise control??!!

Followed by this when I asked a few questions:

Kindly get back to me with your paypal email so that i can proceed with the payment.

100% scammer and do not call the number he has provided, could be those £100 a second call scams!!

This is his email and his name comes up as Andrew Smith. cnzvdfgnfg@gmail.com

To anyone else, AVOID like the plague!!!!

The worrying thing is mate, that there are some people out there unaware of these scams and fall into the trap!!

I used to run online business for five years and I have got loads of email from people like this. They are mainly ''NIGERIAN SCAMMER'' Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to be racist but thats who they are.

These have been going on since i was like 13 and im nearly 22 now. I figured everyone knew about these, Problem is people must still be clueless to it otherwise they'd have stopped doing it.

tell him you will give him the car at half price with a full tank of fuel if he can show up in person ALONG with
along his "419 CERTIFICATE".
HE wont bother you again or he might become abusive.

Trust your instincts screaming at you with these 'buyers' and tell to f*** right off

My names Andrew Smith lol who is using my name for these scams, definitely a scam.
I had someone do it to me to buy a A4, said he had £8000 company cheque to buy a car and wanted to buy mine which was for sale for £5500 so he wanted to collect the car and £2500 change.
Yeah okay mate jog on was my reply i think lol

iv had loads
u can tell stright away there scams

Im preparing myself for hundreds of these when I sell the TT next month...will be fun winding them up:haha:

Last edited:
Contratulations!!! All of you have won $1000000 Ugandan dollars.. All I need is your account number and sort code and I can arrange the transfer. Please pm your details!!! Lol

Reactions: IceHanger
Just give them a random email address for payment (i normally use a old email account thats never been associated with PayPal that I still have access to) then when it comes to collecting it give a random address miles away from me just to waste there time. Another thing you could do is give them your fake work email address and give him the local community plods email address instead that will keep them away.

Reactions: IceHanger
Just give them a random email address for payment (i normally use a old email account thats never been associated with PayPal that I still have access to) then when it comes to collecting it give a random address miles away from me just to waste there time. Another thing you could do is give them your fake work email address and give him the local community plods email address instead that will keep them away.
they dont want the car
they pay with fake paypal emails they do look good aswell
but paypal hold the cash till the car is picked up ?
the scam is 6k for the car they send you 8k the spare 2k is to pay for shipping etc you have to send the 2k off to the shippers
but as paypal are holding the 8k you have to use your own 2k cash to forward to the shippers
**** know if anyone has ever fell for it
if they have they need shooting

I had this happen to me when i was selling up my old v/x Corsa. Claiming it was sum1 from Singapore wanting to buy however they can only pay via paypal if they can have the car first!

All i did was email them an address of a little shack in singapore, telling them the car will be waiting there for them. Hell knows what was really there LOL

Hi I'm calling from your bank,

We believe your account to be compromised.

we just need to confirm a few security questions with you "mr smith"

please confirm the long number across the front of the card, including the expiry and definitely the last 3 digits on the back of your card.

Love these people. they may be widdle!

I vote give them a non PayPal email, if the money comes open an account online with nationwide, transfer the cash, run!!

Regarding card details, the security number isn't needed by many payment systems just the long one and expiry...

I vote give them a non PayPal email, if the money comes open an account online with nationwide, transfer the cash, run!!

Regarding card details, the security number isn't needed by many payment systems just the long one and expiry...

a-ha! only a true con artist would know this secret information..... damn it. I actually did know this. I do it everyday at work!? haha

a-ha! only a true con artist would know this secret information..... damn it. I actually did know this. I do it everyday at work!? haha

LOL, yeah I also take card details every day at work. I use three different systems, with three different ways to take cards and set up recurring payments!

There is a book available somewhere where this guy got so sick of them trying to scam him, that he replied and got them to do loads of crazy sh*t to prove they were serious.

He kept finishing each email with "oh please ....etc I really want to send you the money".

He got a load of them in Nigeria to get tattoos on their back, and take pictures whilst they were getting their tattoos done. The tattoos said... well.... lets just say that the tattoos said they liked men, VERY VERY much in English.

This is a huge insult in their country, and when they found out they went mad!

Proper funny though, because he just kept emailing them, and he then became the guy who wasted their time and scammed them.