Hold Assist Retrofit.

Do you know of anyone you'd trust to do the job north of the border up in Scotland?

I had HHA on my Leon Cupra and mk7 R ,really miss it on my FL RS3 but London is a long way to go to get it retrofitted
DH Automotive might take on the works. I provide them with remote support.

New post from me here - hello to all HOLD assist retro-fitters.
I have MY18 A3 US E-tron, the ABS is 5Q0614517DB and has 31bytes in it(0-30), not a 30bytes(0-29) as most of the others I've seen codings from.
I've already read the spreadsheet with the HEX and BIN values of the MK100 ABS codes, have done the coding on:
Byte 08 - Bit 1
Byte 19 - Bit 6
Byte 23 - Bit 0
made the adaptations on the "Auto hold function always active" and "Auto hold monitoring the light in the switch" from 7 to 0, but still:
I have Parking brake error and Hold assist not available message.
As this is my 1st retrofit and I have so ambition and projects pending I am a little bit crashed - this is the easiest retro fit and I can't finish it.
My original ABS coding is:
12 FF 40 92 38 25 22 70 89 7D 0A 04 A1 CA 29 48 02 1C 44 91 50 85 94 72 12 A1 50 54 82 08 02
and the HOLD assist one:
12 FF 40 92 38 25 22 70 8B 7D 0A 04 A1 CA 29 48 02 1C 44 D1 50 85 94 73 12 A1 50 54 82 08 02

Please,
someone experienced to share some wisdom on this.

EDIT:
Continue reading ABS codings I think that Byte8 is the key to the treasure:
GOLF7 and Passat(presumable both with DSG and EPB) with bit0 enabled in Byte23(Auto HOLD enabled), both has first 3 bits and bit6 enabled in Byte8 - 01000111.
So, bit0 is for EPB, bit 1 is for Hold assist/Auto Hold, but I don't have a description for the rest bits there.....

My coding for Byte8=8B(10001011) is obviously far from them.....

Last edited:
@JohnyMnemonic have you done this coding together with retrofitting the physical Hold Assist button?

If not, I think this is your problem...
A local (Dutch) expert with VCDS/Odis/etc did a lot of modifications on my FL 2017 A3 E-Tron, but couldn't get the Hold Assist function working without the physical button...

Thank you for your reply!
I am in the process of buying it!
I am just curious where is this expert(I read the ACC post) situated in NL?
And was it pricey?
I am asking because I will be travelling to NL after this quarantine is over.

Hello Gents,

Yesterday I've found this thread and it Was very helpful for me to start my first retrofit job ;)

I have MY17 FL A3, and I'm missing AH, so decided to do something about it.

I've started from buying used button and new cable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000833199569.html
By the way, button came out kinda wrong, because it has red backlit instead a white one which is in my car, but i assume this is not a problem.

Everything went by the book, but I had two issues and unfortunatelly AH still don't work for me.
Let me tell you what i've done:

1. I've soldered 2 cables from AH wires to Parking Brake button (here the collors was good)
2. Then put the red/white cable to the new 5A Fuse.
3. Put wires to ABS control unit - here starts the problem, I had different colors on cables. One what yellow/green and the other one kinda brown/grey. I pluged the yellow/green to 23 pin, and the other one to 32.
4. When I've tried to do adaptions/coding next thing went wrong. Enabling Auto Hold and Auto Hold Fuse went ok, but when I've tried to do coding, Byte 08 and 19 has changed, but changing Byte 23 gives me and Error 31.

And now, Auto Hold button has only backlit and nothing else is happening.

Here, I've also found a scheme with my colors of wires:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?18256-Audi-A3-8V-facelift-AUTO-HOLD-retrofit/page2

But it seems to be pluged in pins 35 and 43.

My ABS part number is 5Q0-614-517-BJ

Can anyone give me some hints about solving the problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: rcnacura
Hello all i tried to ger the pin out from the abs pump but it broked does anyone have a video or a picture how i could remove the pin.
The pink plastic i pushed but it doesnt seems unlocked it

Attachments

• A3E9AF71-CAD1-483E-9869-BCEB670DC970.jpeg
    A3E9AF71-CAD1-483E-9869-BCEB670DC970.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 8750AC75-678B-4D2C-91DC-DFDA91416CE4.jpeg
    8750AC75-678B-4D2C-91DC-DFDA91416CE4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 379
  • AC445A18-44E3-4BBF-8003-FBED21DCCFA4.jpeg
    AC445A18-44E3-4BBF-8003-FBED21DCCFA4.jpeg
    953.2 KB · Views: 369
Hello Gents,

Yesterday I've found this thread and it Was very helpful for me to start my first retrofit job ;)

By the way, button came out kinda wrong, because it has red backlit instead a white one which is in my car, but i assume this is not a problem.

Everything went by the book, but I had two issues and unfortunatelly AH still don't work for me.

1. I've soldered 2 cables from AH wires to Parking Brake button (here the collors was good)
3. Put wires to ABS control unit - here starts the problem, I had different colors on cables. One what yellow/green and the other one kinda brown/grey. I pluged the yellow/green to 23 pin, and the other one to 32.
4. When I've tried to do adaptions/coding next thing went wrong. Enabling Auto Hold and Auto Hold Fuse went ok, but when I've tried to do coding, Byte 08 and 19 has changed, but changing Byte 23 gives me and Error 31.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?18256-Audi-A3-8V-facelift-AUTO-HOLD-retrofit/page2

How did you get the wiring through to the abs module from the footwell?

How did you get the wiring through to the abs module from the footwell?

On the left driver side near the clutch pedal there should be a big loom wire going trough there i did the wiring. It will come out next to the battery

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Hello Gents,

Hello,

For the red light, I have seen a vendor saying it's for 2013/2016 model, but the button didn't change for 2017 apart for the light..

I have the same configuration : A3 8V facelift ABS unit 5Q0-614-517 (CF but we don't care) and from what I've gathered so far, I confirm the pinout may be different and so wire to ABS unit should be plugged in 35/43.
I think those guys on ross tech forum are the only ones I've seen talking about facelift A3.

Did you manage to get it work ?

Hello,

For the red light, I have seen a vendor saying it's for 2013/2016 model, but the button didn't change for 2017 apart for the light..

I have the same configuration : A3 8V facelift ABS unit 5Q0-614-517 (CF but we don't care) and from what I've gathered so far, I confirm the pinout may be different and so wire to ABS unit should be plugged in 35/43.
I think those guys on ross tech forum are the only ones I've seen talking about facelift A3.

Did you manage to get it work ?

Hi, yes

Wiring has been good, just another coding:

Byte 08 to 4B
Byte 19 to D2
Byte 23 to 73

Reactions: Sparta57
I really like the looks of this kit for 89.00 euro
Can someone with NO EXPERIENCE fit this with ease?

I do not have access to coding either so will this kit do all the coding like a plug and play?

Hi, yes

Byte 08 to 4B
Byte 19 to D2
Byte 23 to 73
Is this for PFL or FL cars? I have everything in, but the button only lights up, pressing it does nothing.

Light turns on and off depending if the car is in drive or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if I can istall this without VCDS.
I hate the parking brake on my car.
My car will hold for a few seconds to allow me to move, but wont allow me to remove my foot from the brake without it rolling back.

Is this like a plug and play?

https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AU...-Hold-Berganfahrassistent-Nachruestpaket.html

You will need access to VCDS or someone who has it to change the codings to get this feature to work. Luckily there are a few on the forum that do this type of work. @DJAlix is one to PM depending on locations.

I thoughts so.
I am located in south wales.
@DJAlix can you PM me on what you would charge if I supplied the kit so I can get an idea of what to expect the price to be to be fitted in south wales?

Really appreciate this. It seems like a really good worthwhile upgrade and am very interested.

Not true...
The link @CanadaA3wales mentions is with a OBD dongle that programs the necessary codes, to activate AutoHold.
When ordering, you can choose between Facelift and Pre-Facelift.
So no vcds needed.

Nice, all included (manual, button, cables, obd coder, etc) kit and price (145 euro) . I'm tempted myself (AHA is the only option missing in my FL E-Tron)

So if I buy the kit in my link I can just install it for €90.00?
Is it a simple install if all I need to is connect it?
I've DM @DJAlix to see a rough cost so I can contact someone in South Wales if it's above my skills, which are none ha ha
I've never installed something like this before so was wondering if it's easy for a noob lol.

Not true...
The link @CanadaA3wales mentions is with a OBD dongle that programs the necessary codes, to activate AutoHold.
When ordering, you can choose between Facelift and Pre-Facelift.
So no vcds needed.

Nice, all included (manual, button, cables, obd coder, etc) kit and price (145 euro) . I'm tempted myself (AHA is the only option missing in my FL E-Tron)

Whoops, I missed the dongle they now include. I bought this kit 2 years ago when it was just the harness and switch.

So if I buy the kit in my link I can just install it for €90.00?
Is it a simple install if all I need to is connect it?
I've DM @DJAlix to see a rough cost so I can contact someone in South Wales if it's above my skills, which are none ha ha
I've never installed something like this before so was wondering if it's easy for a noob lol.

You will need to wire the switch up to a few connections which require removing the center console trims and running the wire to the ABS control module in the engine bay. While not hard to do (instructions comes with the kit you order), it certainly would be done quicker from someone who has done the retro before. One main challenge I would say is safely opening the connector housings where they do not get damaged. There are locking tabs and 1 cover on the ABS module connector. You certainly do not want to damage any wire pins or wires in this connector housing.

Reactions: Tuttivini
Not sure if there is a fitter in south wales.
If anyone knows a good company around Cardiff, Bridgend and swansea area that would be great.
Thanks all

Reactions: MarttiMat
How do I DM @DJAlix to see how much he would charge to install If I supplied the equipment in the link?

I wont be able to get to london so just want to ensure I am not being ripped off and if he knows anyone in south wales?

Ive looked around the forum but cant see how I email him directly?

How do I DM @DJAlix to see how much he would charge to install If I supplied the equipment in the link?

I wont be able to get to london so just want to ensure I am not being ripped off and if he knows anyone in south wales?

Ive looked around the forum but cant see how I email him directly?
I don’t have anyone in that area unfortunately.

for the supply and fit of hill hold assist using genome VW group parts, new and with 2 years warranty, I ask £295.00.

for the supply and fit of hill hold assist using genome VW group parts, new and with 2 years warranty, I ask £295.00.

Do you (or any of your colleagues) ever come by the milton keynes area?

Have someone in Leicester if of any use...

Still an hour away unfortunately. I'm not desperate for it, but I do miss having it as my previous a3 had it (whoever ordered my current A3 specced 10k+ of extras, but didn't do the £90 hold assist, so annoying!). If you or any of your team are ever due to come past milton keynes for other jobs, let me know as I'd be happy to get it done.

Still an hour away unfortunately. I'm not desperate for it, but I do miss having it as my previous a3 had it (whoever ordered my current A3 specced 10k+ of extras, but didn't do the £90 hold assist, so annoying!). If you or any of your team are ever due to come past milton keynes for other jobs, let me know as I'd be happy to get it done.
Don’t offer a mobile service unfortunately. Both myself and my guys offer weekend appointments tho as we have people travel to us from all over Europe :)

Thanks so much @DJAlix I really appreciate it
Thats a lot cheaper than I thought it would be for supply and fit.

I will need to make some calls around south wales.

Hi, yes

Byte 08 to 4B
Byte 19 to D2
Byte 23 to 73

What spec car do you have? Do you have FL 8V with virtual cockpit? Only asking as the instructions with my kit have the following coding listed and they show standard cluster:

byte 08 to 03
byte 19 to C0
Byte 23 to F7
Byte 25 to 41 (DSG)

Hey, 8V FL without Virtual Cockip, with DSG, Diesel

Reactions: MarttiMat
For anyone doing this on the following controller
5Q0614517CG

Existing coding was

Byte 8 = 89 - new value 8B
Byte 19 = 91 - new value D1
Byte 23 = 72 - New value 73
Byte 25 = 21 - Value unchanged

These were calculated by making the following bits active (1)

Byte 08 - Bit 1
Byte 19 - Bit 6
Byte 23 - Bit 0

These were contrary to any values in this thread - but they worked.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Do you know of anyone you'd trust to do the job north of the border up in Scotland?

I had HHA on my Leon Cupra and mk7 R ,really miss it on my FL RS3 but London is a long way to go to get it retrofitted
DH Automotive

I've had HHA retro fitted to my S3 mk3 FL MY17 Sportback with S-Tronic and Virtual Cockpit. Looking through the coding in the ABS module this is what I can see has been changed from my pre and post VCDS scans. Hopefully this will help others.

8V0907379B

Existing coding was

Byte 8 = 89 - new value 4B
Byte 19 = 91 - new value D2
Byte 23 = 76 - New value 73
Byte 25 = 41 - Value unchanged

I've had HHA retro fitted to my S3 mk3 FL MY17 Sportback with S-Tronic and Virtual Cockpit. Looking through the coding in the ABS module this is what I can see has been changed from my pre and post VCDS scans. Hopefully this will help others.

8V0907379B

Existing coding was

Byte 8 = 89 - new value 4B
Byte 19 = 91 - new value D2
Byte 23 = 76 - New value 73
Byte 25 = 41 - Value unchanged

Hey @Harvey - What security access code did you use to change the adaptation channels and coding for the 8V0 abs module type? Security Access "20103" works for me for one adaptation channel but "24990" does not for the other. Cheers for the help!

My module PN: 8V0 614 517 C (NA spec car)

Unfortunately I didn't do the coding myself and used a local company to do the complete retrofit work. From what I have read there are different security codes per adaption channel for the ABS module. I did see a list of possible codes on the Ross Tech forum which I think were for a Gold mk7.5 which should be the same/similar for the Audi mk3 FL. Have a search around and you should find them I'm sure as I can't recall the exact link I'm afraid. My retro fitter had a list of around 12 or so possible security codes for the ABS module. If I find any possible security codes I'll post them in this thread.