Holograms, I cannot get rid of them.

Kayobong

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So I’ve been trying to correct the paint on my GTI, but everything I try seems to leave holograms after polishing. I’ve tried hex orange pads with cut max, green pads with cutmax, blue pads with perfect finish and I’m using brand new mf cloths. The swirls and scratches are gone but I’m left with some pretty annoying holograms. I’d appreciate any advice before I let a professional do it because it’s driving me mad.

So I’ve been trying to correct the paint on my GTI, but everything I try seems to leave holograms after polishing. I’ve tried hex orange pads with cut max, green pads with cutmax, blue pads with perfect finish and I’m using brand new mf cloths. The swirls and scratches are gone but I’m left with some pretty annoying holograms. I’d appreciate any advice before I let a professional do it because it’s driving me mad.
What machine?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's weird. Holograms I'm pretty sure are caused by using too aggressive machine/pad/polish. Was you getting holograms right from the off with a clean pad?
Tried using a lower machine speed? Less passes?
Can you upload a pic?

Reactions: Jassyo06
What speed is the polishing machine set? To finish the 2nd stage slow the machine
Are you machine polishing in direct sunlight heat build up causes holograms as does working the compound too much/too much pressure.....are you using too much product? 3 bean sized droplets will be enough to cover a area around 2ft square
Cutmax and perfect finish great products but before going to a pro Detailer try Menzerna 3500 with a white hex logic pad....start with very light pressure with a medium speed setting....then as the compound becomes more transparent ie you can see the paint surface more clearly reduce the speed of the machine and apply a little bit of pressure to the polisher.....always let the pad and machine do the work....dont take on too big a area on a set....small areas 2ft X 2ft max especially on the doors of the car....
So small areas
To begin a set area with a Medium speed setting .... 3, no pressure
Finish the set area with a Slower speed.... setting 2, and a little bit pressure.....take your time

Reactions: NevMan, CHEZ and Kayobong
What speed is the polishing machine set? To finish the 2nd stage slow the machine
Are you machine polishing in direct sunlight heat build up causes holograms as does working the compound too much/too much pressure.....are you using too much product? 3 bean sized droplets will be enough to cover a area around 2ft square
Cutmax and perfect finish great products but before going to a pro Detailer try Menzerna 3500 with a white hex logic pad....start with very light pressure with a medium speed setting....then as the compound becomes more transparent ie you can see the paint surface more clearly reduce the speed of the machine and apply a little bit of pressure to the polisher.....always let the pad and machine do the work....dont take on too big a area on a set....small areas 2ft X 2ft max especially on the doors of the car....
So small areas
To begin a set area with a Medium speed setting .... 3, no pressure
Finish the set area with a Slower speed.... setting 2, and a little bit pressure.....take your time

I use speed 5/6, I was polishing on cool panels, and I don’t apply any pressure on horizontal surfaces. I’m using the correct amount of polish. It’s weird because my A3 polished up a dream but my golf is just having none of it

I use speed 5/6, I was polishing on cool panels, and I don’t apply any pressure on horizontal surfaces. I’m using the correct amount of polish. It’s weird because my A3 polished up a dream but my golf is just having none of it

Speed 3 with a white hex logic pad and Menzerna 3500.....trust me

Reactions: NevMan
Speed 3 with a white hex logic pad and Menzerna 3500.....trust me

I’ll give it a go and report back, it seems weird that every other blemish is removed except for the holograms

I’ll give it a go and report back, it seems weird that every other blemish is removed except for the holograms

Because holograms are the finest. Holograms are finer than swirls. You remove the swirls then add the holograms. Your machine is too fast imo.

Reactions: NevMan, Jassyo06 and Kayobong
Because holograms are the finest. Holograms are finer than swirls. You remove the swirls then add the holograms. Your machine is too fast imo.

What speed do you think would be better? 3-4?

I always let mine sit in water first, shake them off then apply about 3 pea sized blobs, quick run with my finger to smear them on the pad, then go in slow and light.

I'll give it a go, I've heard people sometimes moisten the pad but never tried it myself.

What speed do you think would be better? 3-4?
I'd say 2-3.
Swirls if probably have the machine at 4 - 4.5
Don't think I ever use mine at full speed unless it's on hard clear coat and on bad scratches.

Reactions: NevMan and Kayobong
It's a black car too, maybe the surface temp is just a wee bit too warm from the sun, plus extra heat from the polishing may be the factor here?
I am just guessing.
But yeah, a moistened pad will reduce heat a tad and help more than a dry one perhaps.
Good luck

*Edit* I also wipe off immediately, don't let it haze off like wax.
When actually polishing, I can see the patterns the machine makes, maybe if that is left to dry on it would create problems with hologram effects.

Reactions: Kayobong
Thanks for the advice all. The holograms were really getting on my nerves, so I've called it a day. I've ordered a couple of bits and I'll report back with results using the suggested techniques. :icon thumright:

Sds

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and NevMan

I have never gone that fast with mine. Prime/apply on 1, and move up to 4 max, bit probably depends on DA, I have a Flex XFE-7-15

I have never gone that fast with mine. Prime/apply on 1, and move up to 4 max, bit probably depends on DA, I have a Flex XFE-7-15

I've usually never gone above 4 but I gave the higher speeds a go because why not, my bonnet will be getting reprayed soon so it doesn't matter too much if I ruin it.

Unnamed 3

Unnamed 2

Unnamed 1

I am over the moon, holograms no more! On one side of the car at least. Thank you all for the advice, especially @jassyo06 as this result was achived with Mernzerna 3500 and white hex pad. Didn't go over speed 4 and primed the pad beforehand. Very happy indeed. Anyone got any advice for polishing the door handle area?

Reactions: S32B, Henda, Bristle Hound and 4 others
View attachment 202533
View attachment 202536
View attachment 202535

I am over the moon, holograms no more! On one side of the car at least. Thank you all for the advice, especially @jassyo06 as this result was achived with Mernzerna 3500 and white hex pad. Didn't go over speed 4 and primed the pad beforehand. Very happy indeed. Anyone got any advice for polishing the door handle area?
Perfection well done ...door handle area ? If its covered in fine scratches etc etc and obviously you dont have a mini polisher, well use a coarse pad by hand with cut Max repeat twice or three times ,then again by hand with a microfiber pad with 3500 a few times or until your happy with the results cutmax works quite well by hand in small awkward areas where you cant use a machine

Perfection well done ...door handle area ? If its covered in fine scratches etc etc and obviously you dont have a mini polisher, well use a coarse pad by hand with cut Max repeat twice or three times ,then again by hand with a microfiber pad with 3500 a few times or until your happy with the results cutmax works quite well by hand in small awkward areas where you cant use a machine

Yeah they're quite scratched and letting the side down, I'll give it a go by hand :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jassyo06
View attachment 202533
View attachment 202536
View attachment 202535

You are taping areas on the paintwork that need worked with polisher, No tape required between panels it’s easily wiped and let’s you work everything. You could have bought 2 inch backing plate and pad for a drill and used that for door handle area!! Preferably a drill with speed settings helps.

Yeah they're quite scratched and letting the side down, I'll give it a go by hand :icon thumright:
I use menzerna heavy cut 400 and a microfiber. Give it all your strength and energy. If you have small pads like 2inch you could fold one and use that instead.

Was hoping I wouldn’t have to revive this thread but here we are again. I’ve got a hologram issue on the S5, I had no holograms once I finished polishing last week and now after it’s first clean they’re back.

I used a brand new mitt and the usual two bucket method. The snow foam was not PH neutral so not sure how this would effect things. I know going back to a dark paint this would be more difficult but I’m not sure what else I can do bar going back to a PH neutral foam. (Currently using blit hamber auto foam)

Was hoping I wouldn’t have to revive this thread but here we are again. I’ve got a hologram issue on the S5, I had no holograms once I finished polishing last week and now after it’s first clean they’re back.

I used a brand new mitt and the usual two bucket method. The snow foam was not PH neutral so not sure how this would effect things. I know going back to a dark paint this would be more difficult but I’m not sure what else I can do bar going back to a PH neutral foam. (Currently using blit hamber auto foam)
The holograms are on the doors/wings? Is it holograms or ultra fine scratches..?go back over with the likes of a medium cut pad green hex logic for example using Menzerna 3500 etc etc ...looks like your gonna have to go down the ceramic coating route if your paint is soft but saying that holograms are normally inflicted by heat being built up by over polishing and a couple of things

The holograms are on the doors/wings? Is it holograms or ultra fine scratches..?go back over with the likes of a medium cut pad green hex logic for example using Menzerna 3500 etc etc ...looks like your gonna have to go down the ceramic coating route if your paint is soft but saying that holograms are normally inflicted by heat being built up by over polishing and a couple of things

Yeah on the doors and wings are the most noticable. I believe they're holograms as they have the exact same look, I'll upload a picture, they're not as noticeable as before I had corrected the paint but they are there. I do have to wash the car in the sun on a day like today which isn't ideal as I have to make sure the suds/water doesn't dry, etc, which probably doesn't help.

Unnamed

A small update, I actually managed to get rid of them for the most part. I used some Auto Finesse Tripple on a hex white pad and that seems to have solved the issue but I can't be sure until the next wash.

Yeah on the doors and wings are the most noticable. I believe they're holograms as they have the exact same look, I'll upload a picture, they're not as noticeable as before I had corrected the paint but they are there. I do have to wash the car in the sun on a day like today which isn't ideal as I have to make sure the suds/water doesn't dry, etc, which probably doesn't help.

View attachment 234364

A small update, I actually managed to get rid of them for the most part. I used some Auto Finesse Tripple on a hex white pad and that seems to have solved the issue but I can't be sure until the next wash.
Not the easiest colour/tone of paint to live with mate but you'll get there the vertical panels on any car need a wee bit more time to perfect and they are the most difficult to polish slow yer polisher down just a tad when yer doing the verticals caress them lol

I've had several unprompted soliloquies from a good friend about the following. Those in the thread more learned than I might have objections, but as he absolutely swears (literally) by it for finishing, I thought it worth a mention.

R

Reactions: Potterswheel and Kayobong
Throwing in the towel with the S5 now. Going to get it done professionally & ceramic coated I think. Whatever I seem to do the holograms reappear when I wash the car.

I can’t imagine my wash is the problem. Pressure washed, snow foamed, pressure washed off. Then cleaned with two buckets, brand new mitt and drying towels, top to bottom and the car wasn’t even particularly dirty.

Not sure why this car has been such a *******, the S3 corrected like a dream.

Throwing in the towel with the S5 now. Going to get it done professionally & ceramic coated I think. Whatever I seem to do the holograms reappear when I wash the car.

I can’t imagine my wash is the problem. Pressure washed, snow foamed, pressure washed off. Then cleaned with two buckets, brand new mitt and drying towels, top to bottom and the car wasn’t even particularly dirty.

Not sure why this car has been such a *******, the S3 corrected like a dream.

Has it ever been re-painted ?? New clear coats are as soft as a baby's first poo.
Have you reduced the speed of the polisher especially half way through a pass....as most compounds cut instantly and after that it all down to refining which is best done at a lower speed
Problem isn't in the wash process mate

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Has it ever been re-painted ?? New clear coats are as soft as a baby's first poo.
Have you reduced the speed of the polisher especially half way through a pass....as most compounds cut instantly and after that it all down to refining which is best done at a lower speed
Problem isn't in the wash process mate

I think I will probably give it another go I will probably re clay the whole car and try some new compounds and pads. I have got my eye on the koch chemie polishing kit.

As far as i am aware the car has not been resprayed. It's definitely had a smart repair or two on the front & rear bumper and the front wing as there's some lacquer peel, but these are being resprayed soon. It's an old car so it's to be expected. I have kept the polisher at a consistent speed (3) the whole time. It sounds like that would be a good idea, I was not aware changing the speed through the process was an option to be honest.

I think I will probably give it another go I will probably re clay the whole car and try some new compounds and pads. I have got my eye on the koch chemie polishing kit.

As far as i am aware the car has not been resprayed. It's definitely had a smart repair or two on the front & rear bumper and the front wing as there's some lacquer peel, but these are being resprayed soon. It's an old car so it's to be expected. I have kept the polisher at a consistent speed (3) the whole time. It sounds like that would be a good idea, I was not aware changing the speed through the process was an option to be honest.
Don't give up...higher speed for cutting slower speed for refining
Try these 3 they are in 250 ml bottles so not expensive
f88b7eea3aa81e4764e8ad131e8a9781.jpg

Don't give up...higher speed for cutting slower speed for refining
Try these 3 they are in 250 ml bottles so not expensive
f88b7eea3aa81e4764e8ad131e8a9781.jpg

I am currently using the Menzerna polishes, I remember you previously mentioning about some better pads? I'm not overly impressed with the hex logic pads to be honest, they don't seem to last well.

I am currently using the Menzerna polishes, I remember you previously mentioning about some better pads? I'm not overly impressed with the hex logic pads to be honest, they don't seem to last well.
Hex logic are not very durable at all go with the Flex Purple cutting pads and the Flex orange polishing pads l still have the ones l bought 2 years ago and they've been well used well worth the extra money and they wash up as new

Hex logic are not very durable at all go with the Flex Purple cutting pads and the Flex orange polishing pads l still have the ones l bought 2 years ago and they've been well used well worth the extra money and they wash up as new

Cheers, will pick some of those up, although they don't seem to do 5.5" flex pads which are the size I go for with the hex pads. Should I just use the 6"?

Cheers, will pick some of those up, although they don't seem to do 5.5" flex pads which are the size I go for with the hex pads. Should I just use the 6"?
They should do 125 mm pads if not 150 mm

Ultimate finish have them they are 135 mm my mistake lol they fit perfectly on a 125mm backing plate